Goku joins the "Smash Bros." roster?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Goku joins the "Smash Bros." roster?

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon May 27, 2013 8:25 pm

Bringing a highly sexed out character to a kid friendly fighting game? Intersting.... I wonder how they're going to make some of her more powerful attacks work since she basically does a strip tease before summoning a monster. But its just a rumor so not likely even if she is being brought back to life by Nintendo.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 am

I wish they'd just go ahead and throw in Isaac from Golden Sun. That'd make my day.

While it would be cool for Goku to be in the game, I, like some of the others have already said, don't really think that he'd fit.
Though, to be fair, Tekken 3 had Gon as a bonus character. Throwing in Goku wouldn't be that big of a problem.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 am

Smash bros made its name by throwing together characters that don't fit.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue May 28, 2013 10:43 am

Zenkai wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote: I've got my Brawl mods.
Is that illegal?
I don't think it's any different from modding your system to play games from different regions or adding custom skins to PC games like Quake. If it is illegal to mod Brawl, however, I apologize for bringing it up.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Tue May 28, 2013 1:12 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Zenkai wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote: I've got my Brawl mods.
Is that illegal?
I don't think it's any different from modding your system to play games from different regions or adding custom skins to PC games like Quake. If it is illegal to mod Brawl, however, I apologize for bringing it up.
Well is it illegal to mod systems too?

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Wed May 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Zenkai wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
Zenkai wrote: Is that illegal?
Well is it illegal to mod systems too?
In a number if places, yes.

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:03 am

Goku is not mainstream enough to be in a smash bros game. End of Story.
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu May 30, 2013 6:06 am

GogetaSSJ2 wrote:Goku is not mainstream enough to be in a smash bros game. End of Story.
Yes, because the Ice Climbers, ROB, Kirby, Samus, Fox, etc. are all household names.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Kirby and Samus are popular characters. I know a few non-gamers that know who Kirby is.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Thu May 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
GogetaSSJ2 wrote:Goku is not mainstream enough to be in a smash bros game. End of Story.
Yes, because the Ice Climbers, ROB, Kirby, Samus, Fox, etc. are all household names.
They don't need to be a household name but, shockingly, as it's a game celebrating games (aimed more or less at gamers, specifically Nintendo fans), Ice Climbers and ROB belong in the game far more than Goku. Samus would be pretty close to being a 'household name', so would Kirby and Fox, anyway.

I do like how you just assume everybody knows who Goku is, though.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:57 pm

DBZ was huge in japan for 30 years and was big everywhere else since the 90's. Goku is mainstreme.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu May 30, 2013 11:52 pm

Brodes wrote: They don't need to be a household name but, shockingly, as it's a game celebrating games (aimed more or less at gamers, specifically Nintendo fans), Ice Climbers and ROB belong in the game far more than Goku. Samus would be pretty close to being a 'household name', so would Kirby and Fox, anyway.
Even by that logic, I'd be hard-pressed to find a significant amount of gamers that don't know who Goku is.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Fri May 31, 2013 6:42 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Brodes wrote: They don't need to be a household name but, shockingly, as it's a game celebrating games (aimed more or less at gamers, specifically Nintendo fans), Ice Climbers and ROB belong in the game far more than Goku. Samus would be pretty close to being a 'household name', so would Kirby and Fox, anyway.
Even by that logic, I'd be hard-pressed to find a significant amount of gamers that don't know who Goku is.
Well, go for it. Even if I end up being wrong, he won't be in the game and has less reason to be in the game than anybody who has appeared before even in a cameo capacity.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri May 31, 2013 6:58 pm

Brodes wrote:I do like how you just assume everybody knows who Goku is, though.
Most people in Japan do, at least. Elsewhere is another matter, but hell, how many people outside of Japan knew who Roy and Marth were before Melee?

Of course, I don't think Goku will be in the next Smash Bros. He doesn't originate from a video game, and the licensing issues would be pretty substantial.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
That's different. Those are Nintendo household names. Every hardcore Nintendo fan knows who Kirby and Samus are. Goku is not a Nintendo character, so he wouldn't be given the clear so easily like ROB and Fox would.
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

keeperxiii

Post by keeperxiii » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:06 am

Well, considering how well known Dragonball Z and Goku are all over the world and how every other smash bros. clone has anime characters in it, I don't think it's far fetched that he could end up in the next game. Anime/cartoons are in the same pop culture ballpark as videogames in Japan after all.

This would be a great opportunity for Nintendo to get more people to buy the Wii U.
I don't care what anyone says, the Portuguese dub is the best.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:40 am

I think Goku can only work if he was DLC then people are given the choice to download him or not just like how Freddy was in MK9.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Battle Stadium D.O.N 2 could happen but it might would be a Japan-only, which would be a shame. :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:03 am

By Nintendo standards Metroid is a niche franchise. The latest entries struggle to do more than a million copies worldwide, which would only put them a bit higher than the trash Dragon Ball fans have been treated to since 2008 on home consoles. While the series has had a tonne of exposure due to Smash Bros, I guarantee you a lot of people will call Samus "Metroid" before her actual name.

This conversation doesn't matter, since for the many reasons stated it's pretty unlikely for Goku to appear in this game.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Snake is a video game character, Goku is not. Having Snake being in a Smash Bros game makes more sense then having Goku in a Smash Bros game.
The same line of logic can be used to say that, "At least whoever's in Melee is a Nintendo character!" Snake is not. Your argument implies that the development of these games is not progressive... Snake and Sonic have proven that to not be the case, so just because Goku didn't originate in a video game doesn't mean he can't appear in the game. If it were still 2005 and the game were strictly Nintendo-based in terms of its roster, I'd agree with you. But in this age of Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Namco-Bandai co-development, it's difficult to see your argument, while you may be right, as concrete and set in stone. There's no reason to think the fact that his origins are not in video games would alter the decision to include him among the developers.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.