The different animation styles in the DBZ series

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:16 am

Oh god, such an evil hybrid that animation team was...
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:23 am

Some of the pics here are interesting and some are just not good at all. I wish luck to anyone who wants to try to determine who did it. You can't do it due to the fact that most animated shows will have some flaws in them.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:21 pm

Mr. Announcer wrote:Nope, the episode where Piccolo rips off his arm is also done by "closest to Toriyama. But those instances are just a result of that being their position in the rotation and they weren't chosen specifically to animate those episodes because they were important or anything.
You're right, I just went back and watched that episode. And your earlier comment, about "triangle crap" being good in DragonBall, was right because its character design was different from its competition, the old school round muscle look.

It's just that, "triangle crap" never changed its basic character design. Same goes for the "pale cartoony". This is why you can always spot those two types right from the jump.

Cold Cobra
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Cold Cobra » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:49 pm

Hello... I've been lurking again, but I've always wanted to talk about the animation during the Frieza vs. Goku fight. At times it ruined the action for me!

Let's start with Frieza at 100%. What annoyed me here was his constant disproportioned body. Not to mention his shoulder, head and chest purple "bits" sometimes became nothing but purple blobs! Here are two examples of the body thing, but I couldn't find any blob examples (They're also from myfavouritegames)

But what annoyed me most was Super Saiyajin Goku's hair! It went from extremely dark, almost brown hair to his normal light, with some other in between. I didn't bother with the normal light ones:

There we go! I always like a good discussion!
Er.... No.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:31 pm

In general, I've always enjoyed DB/DBZ's animation. At least they didn't reuse special attack/transformation animations like other Toei shows (Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya)...

I think the "pale cartoony" and "triangle crap" styles looked better in DB/early DBZ, since at the time the manga's style was simpler. But you're right, these animation styles looked considerably worse as the rest of the animation teams improved and matched the style the manga was evolving.

Just for my record, my fav animation styles are also "next to the best" and closest to Toriyama", though I noticed "closest to Toriyama" was used less and less as the anime progressed.

Overall, the animation kicked the ass of every other TV animation airing at the time!!! :D
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:06 am

A great point about the Freeza/Goku fight...it really didn't do fair justice AT ALL to the epic battle that was supposed to be portrayed. The Filler was one thing, but the almost-always-mediocre-or-worse animation really killed it for me. That's one portion of the series where people NEED to read through the original Manga.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:00 am

But what annoyed me most was Super Saiyajin Goku's hair! It went from extremely dark, almost brown hair to his normal light, with some other in between. I didn't bother with the normal light ones:
Bah, the shade changes were nothing compared to the way his hair could magically shrink and grow!

Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:02 am

Xyex wrote:Bah, the shade changes were nothing compared to the way his hair could magically shrink and grow!

Sweet merciful fuck! This is why people make fun of Dragonball.

That just makes me sad.

jwimz
Beyond Newbie

Post by jwimz » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:44 pm

Xyex wrote: Image
That by far has to be the worst Goku I've ever seen. When I first saw that episode, I was like, what the heck happened?

I've noticed the changing style of the series, but I guess I've never noticed it within an episode (shows you how observant I am). I really like the "New Type" animation, I kinda wish that it was the only style for the series. I don't really mind if the anime style doesn't matches the manga style as long as the creator okays it.

Snail

Post by Snail » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:21 am

Mike D wrote:
Hey, hey! I don't know why everyone says that about the triangle group. Sure they have their horrible moments but if you ask me they're better than the one pale and totally disproportionate group. In fact in Dragonball, they were one of the best groups despite not so hot animation. The style didn't work as well for Z but still, they have some pretty great stuff whereas the pale group just never looked good.
ImageImage

This is a prime example of Triangle Crap at its best. I don't get it. There is this great animation then the crap.

This scene had great animation until Vegeta was finished powering up.
Great Thread! I've always had a keen eye for this stuff as well, but Mike D has definitely categorized every style. I have to disagree with you on how those images are ' Triangular Crap Style 's best though. I think that this group was animated entirely by a different group, imo.

My favourites would have to be ' Triangular Crap Style At It's Best ' as you describe it Mike D, and Next To The Best, and ' The Best ' animations.

By the way, had anybody noticed that the most intense super speed action usually came from the group that did ' Next To The Best ' animation? Seriously, the action from that animation group really did create the most dramatic fight sequences throughout the entire series.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:44 am

jwimz wrote:That by far has to be the worst Goku I've ever seen.
Really? Then you haven't met "Triangle Group" Goku.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:48 am

Tsukento wrote:

Oh. My. Good. God. :shock:

Sweet McShit. Now that is what I call great animation! :x :P

That team should burn in the fires of... *eats apple*
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:20 am

Tsukento wrote:

His hand is what bothers me most.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:58 am

Tsukento wrote:

OMFG. These are the moments I wonder if the animation team really were serious in drawing DBZ. It doesn't even look like Goku. And look how small his body is. Gheesh.
Overall I think that the animations in Buu saga were the most clearest and enjoyable to look at.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:53 pm

Tsukento wrote: Image
What I find weird in this picture isn't really the face, but mostly the body. Look at his pecks. They're spred out and cover is entire upper body. And then the arm... It's like a sack of fat fell over the pecks and then it just happened to have an elbow and giant hand attached to it.

Apperently he has broken his shoulder too... lol, and one ear is bigger than the other.

And the final point I want to show is from his shoulder down to his arm. It's like they gave that one spot just a pink aura. Maybe to make his arm look bigger?

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:46 pm

Here are some of the worst "Triangle" type pictures..

Watching this ep was an assault on the eyes. :x

Snail

Post by Snail » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:02 pm

Ugh, no comment. Maybe these animators were needed, or these animators didn't take their time to make everything all pretty and polished because of deadlines?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:07 pm

Castor, I absolutely hate you for reminding me of that scene. XD That moment was truely a horribly drawn moment.

Snail, I doubt it had anything to do with deadlines since that's how they animated their stuff through out the entire series.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Here are some of the worst "Triangle" type pictures..

Watching this ep was an assault on the eyes. :x
That 2nd pic... O.o

Did someone with no hands draw it, then shit on it? :shock:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:51 pm

Those last ones were horrible...absolutely horrible...the second one being the most horrible of them.