Question regarding stated character heights

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Question regarding stated character heights

Post by SaiyaMel » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:39 pm

OK, it's stated that vegeta is 5'3, goku 5'7 and so forth.. But are those Toriyama's words or not? Just curious..
Just Saiyan...

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:57 pm

They're from the Daizenshuu. I can't remember which one, but it's either 2 or 7.

I don't know if they're Toriyama's official verdict, but that's where they originate.
Last edited by The Tori-bot on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:04 pm

Didn't it say Yamcha was 6'0" in the anime? In #19's data thing?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:48 pm

ChaotixXero wrote:Didn't it say Yamcha was 6'0" in the anime? In #19's data thing?
I believe that would've been in metric - and there was that listing from one of the budokais (was that the one from the daizenshuu?)

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: Question regarding stated character heights

Post by Blade » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:51 am

SaiyaMel wrote:OK, it's stated that vegeta is 5'3, goku 5'7 and so forth.. But are those Toriyama's words or not? Just curious..
5'7? I would have expected Gokuu to be taller than that. I know that Vegeta is meant to be small, but 5'3? He's a mouse!

Maybe it's just the fact that people of Japanese and Asian origin tend to be smaller in height on the whole as opposed to Caucasian people. So it's all about perspective I guess.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Mike D
Regular

Re: Question regarding stated character heights

Post by Mike D » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:46 am

Blade wrote:
SaiyaMel wrote:OK, it's stated that vegeta is 5'3, goku 5'7 and so forth.. But are those Toriyama's words or not? Just curious..
5'7? I would have expected Gokuu to be taller than that. I know that Vegeta is meant to be small, but 5'3? He's a mouse!

Maybe it's just the fact that people of Japanese and Asian origin tend to be smaller in height on the whole as opposed to Caucasian people. So it's all about perspective I guess.
Fact. Proof. Read character the biographies in fighting games. Just about all of the women are 5'3 or less where as the men tend to be 5'9 or less. The "taller" characters are usually at 6'3 but, in compared to Caucasian or Black people that is close to average.

When looking at these characters, you really wouldn't expect Goku to be shorter than Allen Iverson. :?

Pang_Tong

Post by Pang_Tong » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:24 am

These heights are as close to official as I've seen, and I've seen them in a lot of places. I suppose it only makes sense, if we are to consider most of these characters are most likely meant to be of Asian descent (well, except for the whole space alien thing. There's no guarantee that Toriyama had any direction for the series as it went along, though. In some written interviews I've seen, he admits to making a lot of it up as he went along. He could have very well meant Goku to have been an Earthling when he first drew him as a young adult at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. The Saiyan origin wasn't to appear until a couple of issues later.)

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:12 pm

Actually, I have a feeling AT may have already had plans on making Goku an alien (Piccolo and Kami also) by the 23rd TB and kept it a secret until the arrival of Raditz, but who knows...
Just Saiyan...

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 'lo Legends » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:43 pm

From the point where AT made Piccolo talk to Kami-sama in Namekian I'm pretty sure he wanted him to be an alien.

He didn't just suddenly come up with it...like, the day before the Raditz chapter go "omg omg omg imma make him an alienz".
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:47 pm

'lo Legends wrote:He didn't just suddenly come up with it...like, the day before the Raditz chapter go "omg omg omg imma make him an alienz".
I wouldn't put it past him :P

Oh, and "AT"? His name's not that hard: 'Toriyama'.