Remastered From Now On?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ MAN
Regular

Remastered From Now On?

Post by DBZ MAN » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:59 am

After hearing that the Ultimate Uncut Edition was going to be cut from production I heard that there might be some possibility that they might have the remastered footage and are starting from scratch. And if this is the case has it been a good thing that I have not bought any of the other DVD box sets that have already came out because there is a chance that they will be re-released as remastered footage as well?

I made this topic because it could be a question answered for a podcast if no one has any immediate answers here.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:26 am

The last press release eluded to having somthing changed - but it's probablt just 'fewer episodes per disc' or something.

Unless the reason behind the new "season" boxsets is the Dragonbox footage became available... I can dream, can't I?!

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:59 pm

We can all dream, dammit. The horse we're riding on might be just a pony, but you never know; it just might beat the odds and win the race.

By the by, what "press release" was that? Has it already been posted?
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:58 pm

Sorry I haven't mentioned this yet, but at Wizard World Chicago, a few weeks back, they actually had what looked like the Saga Set on display at the DBZ booth, disks and all.

It was, indeed, a fold out book type box, and had the same design we've already seen, just with a more orange-ish color than the bright yellow we've already seen.

I remember that not only was the back of the case viewable, but there was also a trailer that played, as well as a Funi employee there to ask questions to. Here's what I gathered from all three sources:

1. I do believe it, if my memory serves me right, it said, "39 Episodes" on the back of the box.

2. I don't completely remember what was in the trailer, but I do believe that there was some footage in it, and I'm almost positive it was not the Dragonbox masters being used. Same thing with the back of the box.

3. I asked the rep if the set was going to use the Dragonbox footage. He replied saying he couldn't tell me at this moment.

Hmm? So what could this mean? Perhaps the trailer and box were simply, to some extent, mockups. Or perhaps the Dragonbox footage really won't be used.

Here's my opinion. I still believe that this isn't conclusive enough. For all we know, Funi could still be in the process of obtaining the rights to the footage. However, just in the intrest of having something to show, they threw together semi-mockups, and capitalized more on the episode count, rather than "Dragonbox quality footage", which probably wouldn't mean anything to most dub fans anyway.

After all, the Funi employee did assure me that "they" (don't know weather this refers to the DVDs, or episodes themselves.) would be "better than they ever have been."

(BTW I talked to Chris Sabat a little bit about the online community at the voice actor signing at Wizard. He says "Hi", EX.)
[url=http://blastero.livejournal.com/profile]My Livejournal![/url] Go ahead and friend me, and I'll probably friend you back.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:38 pm

I still believe that this isn't conclusive enough. For all we know, Funi could still be in the process of obtaining the rights to the footage
Iam suprised that a certain quality print would need a copywrite. Is this even true?

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:02 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I still believe that this isn't conclusive enough. For all we know, Funi could still be in the process of obtaining the rights to the footage
Iam suprised that a certain quality print would need a copywrite. Is this even true?
That all depends on the contract. Toei can call the shots on what Funimation can and cannot release, regardless of weather or not there is a different copyright for the different masters.

As far as I know, Funimation was originally given one basic set of masters. I don't even think they are allowed to tamper with the quality of what they are given, other than for localization purposes.
[url=http://blastero.livejournal.com/profile]My Livejournal![/url] Go ahead and friend me, and I'll probably friend you back.