Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:31 am

I got a question. Instead of tint we got a 16:9 darker release. Why is it darker? Do remastering make it darker?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:32 am

Well Kai is a clusterfuck. So I'll probably just avoid this and stick to my Dragon Boxes.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:49 am

See, aside from the pacing being slower, which sounds like that might be for the best, the International version might be the superior version.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:57 am

Soul wrote:See, aside from the pacing being slower, which sounds like that might be for the best, the International version might be the superior version.
well the international version was made before the cut down version that airs on fuji tv. More work was put into it
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:00 am

Just listened to the latest podcast from Hujio & VegettoEX, great work guys!. Whilst listening, something set my mind into overdrive - what they mentioned about Sean Schemmel & Kyle Hebert stating they were about to reprise their roles as Goku & Gohan respectively.
Now, what I remembered was the timing of these statements: April. Now, according to what the guys mentioned, all of Fuji TV's seasons start in April, as it works well with Children's holidays in Japan.

Could it be that FUNimation were actually all set to go ahead and begin dubbing, until Toei contacted them to let them know Toriko wouldn't be renewed, and this year would be it's last, and they would have to air Kai in it's place?.
If it is indeed true, that FUNi played a role in persuading Toei to produce the Buu Saga, whether financially or not, Toei thought it right to inform them of the situation, and advised them against paying the Voice Actors to record for 69 episodes worth, when it could very well be a lot less (they would have known they didn't have enough episodes to cover 2 years worth of programming) and offered them the chance to wait it out to see if they would prefer a more streamlined version - meaning they would save money on the dub side of things.

I do find it odd that FUNi haven't officially announced it yet, but have announced Battle of Gods (which seems to have come out of nowhere).

Just a thought I had, and yet another theory behind the craziness that is Dragon Ball Z Kai: Majin Buu Arc.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:43 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:Just listened to the latest podcast from Hujio & VegettoEX, great work guys!. Whilst listening, something set my mind into overdrive - what they mentioned about Sean Schemmel & Kyle Hebert stating they were about to reprise their roles as Goku & Gohan respectively.
Now, what I remembered was the timing of these statements: April. Now, according to what the guys mentioned, all of Fuji TV's seasons start in April, as it works well with Children's holidays in Japan.

Could it be that FUNimation were actually all set to go ahead and begin dubbing, until Toei contacted them to let them know Toriko wouldn't be renewed, and this year would be it's last, and they would have to air Kai in it's place?.
If it is indeed true, that FUNi played a role in persuading Toei to produce the Buu Saga, whether financially or not, Toei thought it right to inform them of the situation, and advised them against paying the Voice Actors to record for 69 episodes worth, when it could very well be a lot less (they would have known they didn't have enough episodes to cover 2 years worth of programming) and offered them the chance to wait it out to see if they would prefer a more streamlined version - meaning they would save money on the dub side of things.

I do find it odd that FUNi haven't officially announced it yet, but have announced Battle of Gods (which seems to have come out of nowhere).

Just a thought I had, and yet another theory behind the craziness that is Dragon Ball Z Kai: Majin Buu Arc.
...I doubt it. I don't think Toriko ending was in the cards about a year out. I'd imagine the decision would be closer to when it would "finish", so to speak. A year out is way too long to make a finalized decision.

I think the reason we never heard anything about FUNimation announcing "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters", has more to do with the fact that the Vortexx is getting pulled and they didn't have a distribution partner for Television. Had the block continued forward, I wouldn't doubt we'd probably have had new episodes this year broadcasting on it. With Toonami now the new home for Dragon Ball Z Kai, we have at least two years before we get to these episodes here in the States. However, FUNimation may actually decide to start video distribution sooner, given it seemed Madman's release of the arc was planned for this year.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Does anyone think funimation will get the rights to both versions ? like what they did with battle of gods ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:37 pm

sintzu wrote:Does anyone think funimation will get the rights to both versions ? like what they did with battle of gods ?
They seem to be biding their time with this, but I'm not sure. We're talking two completely different cuts of a series.
Personally, I think it'd be awesome. But how are they going to sell something like this?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
sintzu wrote:Does anyone think funimation will get the rights to both versions ? like what they did with battle of gods ?
They seem to be biding their time with this, but I'm not sure. We're talking two completely different cuts of a series.
Personally, I think it'd be awesome. But how are they going to sell something like this?
TV version and a DvD version?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:But how are they going to sell something like this?
The same way they sell DBZ,when one release is done they push out the next
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:08 pm

sintzu wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:But how are they going to sell something like this?
The same way they sell DBZ,when one release is done they push out the next
I guess I could see them doing something like that. Honestly, I'd be glad to get both. I'd get it just for potential English versions of the Fuji TV theme songs. The different pacing would be worth it, too, I guess.

"This sucks. Make more."

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:
TV version and a DvD version?
If we were still talking Nicktoons, maybe, but I imagine Toonami will want to air the extended version when they get to this point in Kai.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:16 am

In all honesty, no. I don't think Toei is willing, or even wants, to give out their version. I believe they'll only distribute the singular international version and they'll keep the version that was never intended to exist to themselves.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:52 am

In addition to what Hujio said, it makes sense for Toei to distribute the longer version because then you've got more episodes to sell to consumers.

The shorter TV version fits a very specific purpose: hold a Fuji TV timeslot for roughly a year while we rake in some sponsor money and produce other shows. It's not the "real" version that they've been secretly making for a couple of years now. They're going to want to sell the full 69-episode version to get the money back for everything they produced.

I really don't think there's an audience for both "edited" and "edited even more" versions of a re-cut version of an existing TV series anyway. It's not like a movie where different cuts are actually marketable. Single TV shows are already a decent investment for home video customers as it is.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 am

Honestly, the theme songs are the only loss for me. I really don't care about the shorter version. If it's as bad as people say (allows no breathing room and has rushed music placement) then let them keep their short version while we get the intended naturally paced version with better music placement.

"This sucks. Make more."

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Has it actually been confirmed that the theme songs aren't present in the international release?

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:39 pm

"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:51 pm

^ And we haven't even heard them yet, and they will likely never been released as their full versions on any OST or single, since they are not part of the Japanese promo unlike Like Nothing Before or After and Dear Zarathustra.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Are these Japanese songs?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Are these Japanese songs?
Yes.

Am I the only one who would love a documentary on Boo arc Kai. I mean from different dubs point of view. Toei speaking on what they done. Interviews. Impact it had. Like this is confusion as shit.