The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: The International (/Korean) Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Cold Skin wrote:It might take a few months for us fans to get the footage properly, unless some country wakes up and starts airing what they've already got (and I'm sure there's more than one country in this situation).
Thai recordings for the Buu arc have just started since last week but I don't know when it is going to air on Tv.
Maybe France will be faster than Thailand, who knows... but in this case the openings will be dubbed...

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Speaking of which, I'm curious if FIO will be dubbed in English or not. I could see it going either way. On the one hand, it's already in English (which I suspect is because this is the international version, made with international audiences in mind, and originally never intended to air in Japan, and apparently English is considered the "international language"). On the other hand, as awesome as it sounds, it still does sound like Engrish, and maybe a tad too silly for some people's tastes.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it will get dubbed in other languages. I'm already hoping for the Brazilian Portuguese dub that either Eduardo Falaschi (who did the Brazilian Portuguese dub of a few Saint Seiya songs) or Rodrigo Rossi (who did the Brazilian Portuguese dub of "Dragon Soul") will be the one who sings it.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Kinda funny since Rodrigo Rossi also dubbed the Omega Version of Pegasus Fantasy. Would be nice to see one of them cover it.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:02 am

I was searching for something interesting on JASRAC's database and found out the possible second opening/ending song for the international version.

http://www2.jasrac.or.jp/eJwid/main.jsp ... sion=start
(Agree to their terms of service before clicking the link above.)
JASRAC wrote:"LET IT BURN"

Lyrics: JUN
Composition: Yasuharu Takanashi
Song: Masatoshi Ono

Fuji Pacific Music Publishing
Toei Animation Music Publishing

From Dragon Ball Kai Buu Arc International Version
Maybe this is just an insert song, but I doubt it because there is no reason for them to produce insert songs for the international market where they won't sell CDs. Insert songs in TV anime series are always used in the actual shows purely for advertising CD releases, so it is not the case here.
Last edited by kei17 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:16 am

I'm surprised a second Opening would be produced for the international version. I wonder if Toei Animation will ever try to sell these?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 am

Hmm, this is odd to say the least.

That means that more than two songs exist in The Final Chapters. Perhaps we're also getting multiple ending themes? Then again, it seems to be by the same artist as the opening. That doesn't have to mean anything, though. My bet's on this being one of the other ending themes.

EDIT: Yes, I know I literally just said this probably wouldn't be the case a page ago. I'll eat my hat later. :roll:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:36 am

NJ_ on Twitter wants to know if you mean 高梨 康治 (Takanashi Yasuharu) is the composer?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 am

JulieYBM wrote:NJ_ on Twitter wants to know if you mean 高梨 康治 (Takanashi Yasuharu) is the composer?
Oops, that was a typo.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:57 am

Wonder if these songs will be Jpn or Engrish

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:04 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Wonder if these songs will be Jpn or Engrish
Defintely Engrish. They wouldn't do new Japanese songs for a foreign market, plus: the opening and first ending are already in Engrish.

"This sucks. Make more."

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
Defintely Engrish. They wouldn't do new Japanese songs for a foreign market, plus: the opening and first ending are already in Engrish.
It's such an odd one, especially in respect to the English speaking market, where 'Fight it Out' probably isn't broadcast-worthy in its current state due to being largely unintelligible.

It would make a lot more sense if the vocals heard in the Korean version were just placeholder content from Toei, leaving Funimation, or other international licensees, to dub it themselves.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:00 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
Odd thing about that. Scan2Go, which never got released in Japan, has a Japanese Opening and Ending track produced for it (including sponsor cards, next episode previews, japanese credits, etc.). Bakugan Battler Brawlers: New Vestroia also showed up overseas first with a Japanese Opening and Ending sequence, over 5 months before the Japanese air date... Though, future seasons that got shipped out before Japanese release, only had those songs for the remainder.
Blade wrote: It's such an odd one, especially in respect to the English speaking market, where 'Fight it Out' probably isn't broadcast-worthy in its current state due to being largely unintelligible.

It would make a lot more sense if the vocals heard in the Korean version were just placeholder content from Toei, leaving Funimation, or other international licensees, to dub it themselves.
I really doubt it. If they had wanted to get a singer who was more fluent in English, they could've. However, it's not to say this song won't be dubbed over, but I doubt that was the reason.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:29 am

I think those songs won't be dubbed, they were meant to be used as-is just like Flow's Hero (Song of Hope), precisely so that only the original artist would be featured and the song would not be dubbed by anyone.
It's not like people usually understand the Japanese ones anyway (France leaves them in Japanese), so whether they don't understand Japanese lyrics or they don't understand English lyrics, it pretty much won't change their reaction
I don't buy the placeholder theory, but... while Never Give Up!!! is pretty decent in pronunciation, I wouldn't mind if it turned out to be true and if Fight It Out!! was actually replaced by a native English-speaking singer. And not one who will be auto-tuned like hell to feature a character's voice actor, one with a voice that actually can make you believe the song is from an existing native singer/group.

I think the animation of the opening will evolve (to include Gotenks clearly shown for example, perhaps Vegetto too) but the song will not change.
Let It Burn will be the second ending, based on Majin Vegeta, and being partly shown in Japan right now (with the Japanese ending using edited bits of animation of this pre-existing international ending while adding a few slices of their own animation/effects for it to match the current Japanese single as much as possible, just like they did with Never Give Up!!! being turned into Dear Zarathustra).
Just like with Never Give Up!!!, the animation will match the lyrics very closely, so you can already guess in which part of the current animation the "Let it burn" sentence will be heard.
We're not about to hear that one anytime soon...

Also, it's true that Toei may not think about it, but with those international songs that can't be used as openings/endings since the singles need to be in Japanese to appeal to the audience, they could still use the English international recordings they have as insert songs for the Japanese broadcast. Toei, you likely have five English songs (one opening + four endings) that the Japanese won't have as openings/endings/singles, that you could use as insert songs, with Never Give Up!!! being easy to place during a fight for example, or Fight It Out!! being easy to place during the Super Saiyan 3 or Super Saiyan Gotenks' first "wow" reveals!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:52 am

kei17 wrote:I was searching for something interesting on JASRAC's database and found out the possible second opening/ending song for the international version.

http://www2.jasrac.or.jp/eJwid/main.jsp ... sion=start
(Agree to their terms of service before clicking the link above.)
JASRAC wrote:"LET IT BURN"

Lyrics: JUN
Composition: Yasuharu Takanashi
Song: Masatoshi Ono

Fuji Pacific Music Publishing
Toei Animation Music Publishing

From Dragon Ball Kai Buu Arc International Version
Maybe this is just an insert song, but I doubt it because there is no reason for them to produce insert songs for the international market where they won't sell CDs. Insert songs in TV anime series are always used in the actual shows purely for advertising CD releases, so it is not the case here.
If this is indeed an ending song, then this is great!. I was expecting the animation to change at various points in the series like in Japan, but not the music.

I also agree with Cold Skin, the opening will evolve and include Gotenks, Super Buu, & Super Saiyan 3 replacing 2 at the end.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:03 am

ChibiGoku wrote:I really doubt it. If they had wanted to get a singer who was more fluent in English, they could've. However, it's not to say this song won't be dubbed over, but I doubt that was the reason.
They why do it? The target audience is an overseas market where at least some grasp of English language is a common denominator.

Toei have a recent track record of not really bothering or caring when it comes to English language intelligibility or authenticity. Have you seen any of Majin Bone? There's a good few instances in that show of characters who are meant to be native English speakers supposedly speaking the language, which just end up sounding laughably bad to an actual English speaker. They decided to use script writers, voice actors and ADR directors with more or less no grasp of the language, because the target audience of the show are Japanese and to Japanese casual audiences the effect of any level of authenticity would most likely be lost,

This is not the case for 'Fight it Out', a theme which was clearly specifically created at a point in time when 'The Final Chapters' as a product was only to be aimed at a predominately English speaking audience - a notion that seems to be supported by the fact that, for the Japanese release, a new Japanese language theme was commissioned in its place.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:41 am

Blade wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:I really doubt it. If they had wanted to get a singer who was more fluent in English, they could've. However, it's not to say this song won't be dubbed over, but I doubt that was the reason.
They why do it? The target audience is an overseas market where at least some grasp of English language is a common denominator.

Toei have a recent track record of not really bothering or caring when it comes to English language intelligibility or authenticity. Have you seen any of Majin Bone? There's a good few instances in that show of characters who are meant to be native English speakers supposedly speaking the language, which just end up sounding laughably bad to an actual English speaker. They decided to use script writers, voice actors and ADR directors with more or less no grasp of the language, because the target audience of the show are Japanese and to Japanese casual audiences the effect of any level of authenticity would most likely be lost,

This is not the case for 'Fight it Out', a theme which was clearly specifically created at a point in time when 'The Final Chapters' as a product was only to be aimed at a predominately English speaking audience - a notion that seems to be supported by the fact that, for the Japanese release, a new Japanese language theme was commissioned in its place.
For that matter, why even bother produce a Japanese audio track for a series that ultimately was never meant to be released in Japan? I feel you're looking too much into this.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 am

ChibiGoku wrote:For that matter, why even bother produce a Japanese audio track for a series that ultimately was never meant to be released in Japan? I feel you're looking too much into this.
Foreign-language dubs need a Japanese script to translate from. Fans also expect a Japanese track on the home release, regardless.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:49 am

^A fair point. They've already bothered to do a brand new score and new theme songs when they could've just reused the stuff from before. The same thing was done with Season 3 of Sonic X (which doesn't have more than the 4Kids dub on home releases), only in that case, the music was almost entirely recycled and no new theme song animations were made. That was understandable since they were replacing the score almost everywhere else, except France. They apparently streamed it in Japan, but I don't know when. Maybe they had similar plans for The Final Chapters, until the broadcast edit came along that is. Now Japan will most likely not see The Final Chapters.

"This sucks. Make more."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 am

I guess there are two versions of the songs like FLOW's songs for BoG, and the ME (music & sound effects) track for dubbing purpose probably contains the English version.
SaiyaJedi wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:For that matter, why even bother produce a Japanese audio track for a series that ultimately was never meant to be released in Japan? I feel you're looking too much into this.
Foreign-language dubs need a Japanese script to translate from. Fans also expect a Japanese track on the home release, regardless.
They have to show how foreign VAs should perform and what kind of voices dubbing companies need by providing the original version. Also, some countries usually leave yells from the Japanese version as they are for the sake of saving money.
Last edited by kei17 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 am

That's kinda what we do here, we dissect both the narrative content and the production of anything Dragonball in micro. Whilst it may seem excessive or obsessive at times, I guess that's just the harmless nature of this fandom, and in regard to that, Kanzenshuu is undoubtedly the most concentrated hub of Dragonball fandom on the internet.

Also, keep in mind, there are actually overseas territories where a Japanese language broadcast is entirely possible. Take Brazil for example, a South American country with one of the highest (if not the highest) overseas Japanese populations. For Toei to not produce a dialogue track for Kai would be for them to produce an incomplete product.