The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The International (/Korean) Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:03 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
andrewtuell1991 wrote:But there's barely any difference between a 92 and a 69 episode count. I might as well continue watching my Dragon Boxes if the pacing is going to be that similar.
Seriously? barely any difference? 23 episodes have been cut, removing nearly 8 hours worth of filler?. The footage has been re-edited, and moved, so watching your Dragon Boxes won't be anywhere near the same.
23 episodes being cut would be a significant decrease... if the original wasn't 92 episodes long. It's literally just a 25% decrease. And considering how Dragon Ball Z is infamous for its slow pacing, cutting a mere 25% will not be enough to produce a well-paced version of the show. The reasoning that they needed to have some extra breathing-room only goes so far, and quite frankly, I think it seems entirely possible that a 46 episode version of the Boo-arc could work and be paced well... They just needed to put a lot more effort and careful thought into what goes and what is kept than they are currently doing.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:46 am

Vegard Aune wrote:The reasoning that they needed to have some extra breathing-room only goes so far, and quite frankly, I think it seems entirely possible that a 46 episode version of the Boo-arc could work and be paced well... They just needed to put a lot more effort and careful thought into what goes and what is kept than they are currently doing.
They ARE putting a careful thought into it, just not artwise. Editing more footage would cost more, and changing the points where episodes start/end would create a need to rewrite and re-record narrations. They're putting in effort on reducing the cost.

If they had re-edited the entire arc from scratch for the Japanese broadcast, 50 or so episodes would have been perfectly fine.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:57 am

andrewtuell1991 wrote:I've never understood why there had to be second battle with Vegeta just because some petty words were thrown around at the end of their first battle.
Vegeta's only goal since that battle was to fight Goku again and that was very clear from the end of their first battle to the beginning of their second one and not just some little words at the end of their first one like what you say.
andrewtuell1991 wrote:They did the same thing at the end of the Ma Junior/Piccolo battle yet nothing ever came of that.
After Piccolo trained Gohan he didn't care as much about fighting Goku as before and eventually became his friend and allie where Vegeta didn't become that until the very end of the story.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:02 pm

One of the fans from the French forum has recorded two episodes. So he's working on getting us stuff (including logo, opening, ending, etc...).
It will be on standard definition though, because he doesn't have the material to capture in HD. Still should be great. :thumbup:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Cold Skin wrote:One of the fans from the French forum has recorded two episodes. So he's working on getting us stuff (including logo, opening, ending, etc...).
It will be on standard definition though, because he doesn't have the material to capture in HD. Still should be great. :thumbup:
What do you mean by standard as opposed to HD? Will it still be a camera to a TV?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:08 pm

He means standard resolution, as in below 720p resolution.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:09 pm

I think that just means he has the SD feed rather than the HD feed. It's probably from a capture card.

Note: it's been talked about on twitter that this dub suffers from PAL speedup. Not surprising, I suppose, but I can't say I'm not disappointed that in the era of HD this is still a problem. I only wonder whether it was produced with that in mind or sped up to 25fps for the TV airing.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Well, Blu-rays literally do not have the option to be 25fps (the standard doesn't allow it), so presumably THOSE won't be sped up.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:13 pm

^Ok, so it is screen capture....YAY!! Man, this is what we've been waiting for! I'm so excited 'bout this feeling!

HD doesn't matter....we don't want to get picky. :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:00 am

The soundtrack that played when Goku talked to Gohan from the other world (Japanese Version - Episode 100) was replaced in the International Version with the ''disco'' one. In my opinion, that's another scene which was better in the Japanese Version...

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:27 am

TheRed259 wrote:The soundtrack that played when Goku talked to Gohan from the other world (Japanese Version - Episode 100) was replaced in the International Version with the ''disco'' one. In my opinion, that's another scene which was better in the Japanese Version...
:shock: What ?!! Are they stupid or something ?!! Dammit...these crappy, ridiculous music placements will ruin the new english dub for sure :( ... And there's no chance that Funi gets the Japanese cut, so...
Last edited by ShinGaijin on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:16 pm

TheRed259 wrote:The soundtrack that played when Goku talked to Gohan from the other world (Japanese Version - Episode 100) was replaced in the International Version with the ''disco'' one. In my opinion, that's another scene which was better in the Japanese Version...
That's the wrong way to put it, since the international version was done first.
So it wasn't replaced with the "disco" track. It's the Japanese version that CORRECTED that original "disco" placement by choosing that another track was better in the end.

Don't forget: the Japanese version is the updated version (despite having its own constraints), which means you'll undoubtedly find stuff in the international version that are worse because they hadn't been corrected yet.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:35 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
:shock: What ?!! Are they stupid or something ?!! Dammit...these crappy, ridiculous music placements will ruin the new english dub for sure :( ... And there's no chance that Funi gets the Japanese cut, so...
it'll be in 5.1 so you can just replace the disco music with the one that played in the Japanese version
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Cold Skin wrote:the Japanese version is the updated version (despite having its own constraints), which means you'll undoubtedly find stuff in the international version that are worse because they hadn't been corrected yet.
Apart from the first meeting between Goku and Goten, I always thought that the music placements were better on the Japanese cut (IMO, of course).What a shame...I was eager, like many others here, to watch the English dub (+the H.K Cantonese dub ^^), but whatever the performance of the voice actors, I feel that I will be disappointed.
At least, the japanese cut is available on Blu Ray, without this painful green tint.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Oh, no... please tell me we're not getting more of the disco track! That's the only one I actively dislike! :/
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Cold Skin wrote:That's the wrong way to put it, since the international version was done first. So it wasn't replaced with the "disco" track. It's the Japanese version that CORRECTED that original "disco" placement by choosing that another track was better in the end.

Don't forget: the Japanese version is the updated version (despite having its own constraints), which means you'll undoubtedly find stuff in the international version that are worse because they hadn't been corrected yet.
I know that. I just said it that way so that everyone can understand better what I meant since we all saw the Japanese Version before the International one.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:33 am

Still no capture for now, but we have another filmed version of the French opening for FIght It Out!! that allows you to see what the beginning of the opening is like starting from the white flash transition to the opening.
Provided by Dr.Murow!
(remember someone previously posted a capture of the Korean opening for better quality, but all versions often lacked the first few seconds of the opening if my memory serves).

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5MDcSm ... edit?pli=1

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Still no capture for now, but we have another filmed version of the French opening for FIght It Out!! that allows you to see what the beginning of the opening is like starting from the white flash transition to the opening.
Provided by Dr.Murow!
(remember someone previously posted a capture of the Korean opening for better quality, but all versions often lacked the first few seconds of the opening if my memory serves).

...Yeah, that's sped up without any doubt. Also, kinda looks out of sync...

I wonder if we can fix it, once we get a clean rip of the Opening and Ending.

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Still no capture for now, but we have another filmed version of the French opening for FIght It Out!! that allows you to see what the beginning of the opening is like starting from the white flash transition to the opening.
Provided by Dr.Murow!

http://youtu.be/A6x4TMkQ94U

DrMurow

Post by DrMurow » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:38 am

Hi everyone ! I have some videos for you, and in true 1080p ! (not an upscale)
A big thanks to Tom-asse on DB-Z.com for his recording !!
For copyright reasons, i uploaded these videos in my Google Drive, because Youtube and his Content ID bot didn't like me :lol:

Logo Opener : http://goo.gl/xtWDM0
Opening : http://goo.gl/rzdTc9
Eyecatchs : http://goo.gl/LOhuiE
Ending : http://goo.gl/dzE9cL
Next episode preview (in French) : http://goo.gl/BdVoqW

Enjoy :)
(and sorry for my bad English... ^^)