Episode #0051 (12 November 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0051 (12 November 2006)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:19 pm

Episode #0051 (download MP3)
62:52; 64 kbps, mono; 28.7 MB

Episode #0051! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian describe and discuss the alter-egos and disguises characters use throughout the course of the series. What was the purpose? Did they work? DBZ ABCs, Top 5 Lamest Transformations, big DVD news, and your e-mails round out the episode... including a recount of a creepy DBZ dream! Referenced sites: Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the monumental *fifty-one* episodes, now.

One week to go until the anniversary episode! Until then, we've still got lots of great stuff for you. Did we miss any alter-egos or disguises? Is there anything else to the ones we mentioned? Sound off and let us know.

Remember, you've only got a few days left to get in your entries for the anniversary contest! Free daizenshuu #3! And maybe something else special...!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:09 pm

You know how you felt like you missed someone, but felt like you didn't? You forgot Suppaman. :D
­

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:47 pm

Woohoo!! I always LOVED the whole Saiyaman alterego for Gohan, but a lot of people started to think he got too dorky. That sucks because I totally think it made Gohan even better, because we got a chance to see him as super-powered among normal teens, which is pretty much a lot of people's fantasy during high school...

Ooh my gawd! VegettoEX, that dream is so freaky! I bet Meri and Julian did have dreams they could remember, they just were too afraid too say them lmao. I don't think I've ever dreamed anything so creepy, but weird is more like it.

Like the one where I was in a van like #16, #17 and #18, parked across from a McDonald's, and then all of a sudden Super Saiyan Vegeta flew down from the sky and gave a "Final Flash" to the McDonald's. To this day I understood I had to boycott that restaurant.

Gah I'm so excited for the contest!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:55 pm

QuantumDestiny wrote:Woohoo!! I always LOVED the whole Saiyaman alterego for Gohan, but a lot of people started to think he got too dorky. That sucks because I totally think it made Gohan even better, because we got a chance to see him as super-powered among normal teens, which is pretty much a lot of people's fantasy during high school...
I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps wishing for a spin off about Gohan in high school. Student by day, Saiyaman by night. Can he juggle studies, crime and love? Hilarity ensues.

Oh, and I've had some Dragonball dreams. Nothing as incredibly disturbing as Mike's though... :shock:

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:02 pm

Well, I recently rewatched the Evil Dragon Arc, so here's how it goes with their abilities:

Yi Xing Long basically just uses the techniques from the other Dragons after he eats the Dragon Balls. Before that, he just uses Kikoha blasts and even uses a 10x Kamehameha at one point. He can also do a Power Ball formed from Minus Power from the Dragon Balls.

Liang Xing Long is pretty physically weak, but he uses pollution to weaken his opponents without them realizing it.

San Xing Long has ice powers, and mainly just freezes stuff with a freezing ray from his eye.

Si Xing Long has fire powers. He uses a lense to concentrate light from his body and can heat up to 6000 degrees.

Wu Xing Long has electric powers. His regular body is really small, but he coats himself with electric slime. (The Dragon Thunder is actually his move, but it's cooler when Yi Xing Long did it)

Liu Xing Long has wind powers. He spins himself incredibly fast creating the illusion of a beautiful princess and making himself highly resiliant against forward attacks.

Qi Xing Long really just posesses other creatures. He uses ground techniques and earthquakes but mainly because he posessed a mole. He uses more physical slashing and stabbing techniques when he posesses Pan.

Also, when you mentioned someone turning green and ripping clothes, I immediately thought of The Incredible Hulk.

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:06 pm

desirecampbell wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps wishing for a spin off about Gohan in high school. Student by day, Saiyaman by night. Can he juggle studies, crime and love? Hilarity ensues.
Yeah! I wanted to see how Videl got the matching outfit. Oh yeah, *dies* Doo-rag.

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:34 am

Mike, that dream is too hilarious for words...

..Except for those.

That was absolutly great, I am still laughing about it.

Top notch episode as usual!

The big one year anniversary coming up next week! Can't wait!
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:39 am

VegettoEX: Has to be the United States
Julian: Not the Playdia footage?
VegettoEX: NOOO
Great. No Canada there, eh?

Oh yeah. I did not like that little remake at us (younger generation) about how we would understand that Akira reference!!! It was very insulting to us kids!!! (Until I heard the part about it being re-released. Then I felt a bit ok)
But whatever. Have at it if you will.

But great podcast. I want a daizenshuu (for christmas!!)

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:02 am

I think the laughing that resulted at the telling of carnivorous Cell may have surpassed the laughter at discovering that my father and uncle spent a lot of time and elbow grease trying to clean a spot out of a carpet only for us to later discover it was, in fact, the shadow of a fan ornament.
Crazy flesh-eating Cell!

I'm actually trying to regather all of my DB-related dreams into a "canon", because I took one and turned it into a fanfic that exploded into... well... crap with some good lasting effects. And I wanna make the canon version! Mainly because there was a new episode recently that made me happy. Wait a second... there was a sorta new episode last night, but it was vague and only interesting because it involved Goten, Trunks, and a secret home hidden in magma... *wonders if it should be added to the canon*. But... I could fill a thread up with this nonsense! *reframes from annoying people any longer*

You mentioned Piccolo in the 25th budokai, but I don't remember if you mentioned that he went by Ma Jr (unless my referring to the dub here is foolish).

Grandpa Gohan's involvement in the FireMountain ark at the very end of Dragonball was startling! So he's become what... a guardian of life and death or something?

Now the dream stuff has me excited and I want to say more! *posts before Hiruuuuuuuuuuuuu*slaps dub* degarn can emerge*.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:07 am

QuantumDestiny wrote: ...as super-powered among normal teens, which is pretty much a lot of people's fantasy during high school...
<_<;

;>_>

...and I must admit, I've had DragonBall-themed dreams before. They're kinda dark, though, mostly of myself flying around and beating things up, and stuff like that.

I should actually listen to a podcast once in a while...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DaftBrian

DBZ Dreams?!?

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:08 am

I don't think that I have DBZ dreams, but I usually have flying dreams after watching DBZ. The worst part is having a fighting dream and your arms are too heavy to move, or that your punches have no effect.

I think Dane Cook watched Bulma vs Giant Crab.

*50 points to people who get that. :D
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:22 am

I got the podcast on right now, and I felt inclined to confirm the reason behind Jackie Chun; It isn't so much that he wants to get a good fight from is students (though, it is one reason), it is mostly because he doesn't want them to get the idea that they are the strongest. He sees how powerful they've become, and doesn't want them to become full of themselves and to cease training and advancing.

Edit: And (Grandpa) Son Gohan comes back to teach Goku a lesson; Learn to master his weakness, I.E., his tail. Goku only wins the fight against him because Gohan forefeits that fight after throwing Goku around by the tail for a good ten minutes and rips it off by accident.

Edit 2: Cell's second form dub voice is the shit. Take it back.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:37 am

Remember also that it was the Crane Hermit who informed Tien that Jackie Chun and Master Roshi were the same man.

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:56 am

DaftBrian, change your avatar, it's only 80*80. Your name suits you well though...

Try this one, and your sig is only supposed to be four lines. I think you should read the rules before you make any more posts.
- Scott

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:27 pm

Listened to it last night before bed. Again, I found the topic normal for you guys; not fantastical, but not lame. What really made the episode for me was Mike's dream and Meri's response to it. Was she banging on the table?

Also, thanks for bringing back your stuff segment. I forgot to mention that when you actually did bring it back, so there ya go. Did Mike have to bring his pants zipper up to the microphone?

As for the topic, I was actually surprised at how many disguises were in the series. When you guys first mentioned disguises, I just thought of GS-Man and that was it. As for turning green and ripping their clothes off, I had the same thought as Roshi. What's strange about all character transformations that involve the ripping of clothes is that (yeah, I'm going there) their pants stay intact. What me and my friend concluded was that in all cartoons/anime, pants are incredibly durable. I was surprised that you didn't see pants flying everywhere when Chibi Boo blew up the earth. :D

And thanks The Lecherous Muten Roshi for the "Evil Dragons" info. I never noticed that Yi Xing Long took the techniques of the other dragons.

Finally, the contest. You talke about deleting the ones without subjects. So, should I re-send mine? So yeah, pretty sweet podcast, and I hope the anniversary special will be just as good (I'm guessing the special guest will be Steve the Daimaou?).

EDIT: Ah, of course I remember Julian's rants throughout the past episodes about Ouendan. Heh, is your hand fast enough to pull off all of the moves now?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:27 pm

Eclipse wrote:
VegettoEX: Has to be the United States
Julian: Not the Playdia footage?
VegettoEX: NOOO
Great. No Canada there, eh?

Oh yeah. I did not like that little remake at us (younger generation) about how we would understand that Akira reference!!! It was very insulting to us kids!!! (Until I heard the part about it being re-released. Then I felt a bit ok)
But whatever. Have at it if you will.

But great podcast. I want a daizenshuu (for christmas!!)
I also feel insulted. I think Eclipse and I are about the same age and I got the referance. "TETSUOOOO....!!!!" Repeat throughout the movie 40 times. :)

Anyway, nice Podcast. I'll give a full review when I'm finished listening. :)
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

DaftBrian

Thanks

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:07 pm

I was trying to do that all on a PSP.

Thanks.

love,

n00b
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:45 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote: ...and I must admit, I've had DragonBall-themed dreams before. They're kinda dark, though, mostly of myself flying around and beating things up, and stuff like that.
Man you're lucky, I don't remember dreaming anything as cool as that. The only other one I can really remember was from grade 8 and so unbelievable dorky... My Piccolo action figure came to school with me and was actually talking and had animation, and at lunch time he and I had a looong conversation, and I was so smug because he wouldn't talk to anyone but me!! *gets rotten fruit thrown at me for the nerd factor*
caejones wrote: Wait a second... there was a sorta new episode last night, but it was vague and only interesting because it involved Goten, Trunks, and a secret home hidden in magma... *wonders if it should be added to the canon*.
Oh my god man you're crazy! ...Is it wrong that I actually really want to know what else happened in that dream...?

:wink:

DaSaiyanPrince

Post by DaSaiyanPrince » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:57 pm

My Dragonball/Z/GT dream as i recall it, involves Goku and Super Buu.....Now how did it go... I was in some sort of lava environment,goku at my side, I had no clue what i was doing there. Then I noticed Super Buu in front of us. "Oh my God", I thought... Then all of a sudden Goku yells at me, "KEEP HIM BUSY!" And teleports off. So out of instinct, I cahrge straight at him. I threw a punch at his face and he deforms as I see the pain on his face.

Then things start getting fuzzy for my memory from here. :? Well,the last part before I woke up that I remember is Goku teleporting behind Buu, thanking me in the process and blasting him with his Kamehameha. :D But sadly, i havent had a DBZ dream since.... :cry:
O yea......got my Wii...

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:33 pm

I had a dream YEARS ago about a Dragonball Z racing game, except the characters ARE the vehicles, and they fly. I'm sure THAT'D be an interesting spin-off game XD; I remember it featured non-SS Gotenks, Teen Gohan in the Kai outfit, Piccolo with his turban and cape on, and Kaioshin himself all racing each other in some sort of intro sequence to the game. They were in some strange purpley mix between Mute City and West City, with the SSBM rock remix of the Mute City theme in the background.

BTW, sent in an audio e-mail for the Anniversary episode. Can't wait for it.