Project DB Wiki

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:31 pm

Then couldn't it be made that they both got a mention, so you could choose to look at either the original version, or the dub?

I'm sure if this idea gets started then we will have fans from both sides each doing the section they like. I do agree with Big Green though that there could be too many people doing it.

I will help if this idea starts off, but I don't really see it happening. Wikipedia does a alright job anyways so I don't really see the need.
- Scott

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:26 am

I so agree with this. While I'm with Lemmy about how both the English and Japanese editions should be recognized, my main hating reason for the lack of quality in the Dragon Ball articles on Wikipedia is probably consistency.

A majority of the pages suck. There are stubs, crappy spelling errors, stuff that doesn't make sense, bare-bones knowledge, just all that. Plus, all that subbies vs dubbies arguments and such =P. I agree, we need to make a Wiki that will show Dragon Ball in a correct light that everyone can enjoy and learn from =D

But I'm putting my name down for this.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:18 pm

Eclipse wrote:I so agree with this. While I'm with Lemmy about how both the English and Japanese editions should be recognized, my main hating reason for the lack of quality in the Dragon Ball articles on Wikipedia is probably consistency.

A majority of the pages suck. There are stubs, crappy spelling errors, stuff that doesn't make sense, bare-bones knowledge, just all that. Plus, all that subbies vs dubbies arguments and such =P. I agree, we need to make a Wiki that will show Dragon Ball in a correct light that everyone can enjoy and learn from =D
In truth, that criticism can be applied to a variety of Wikipedia articles and not merely ones that relate to DragonBall. Wikipedia is a great idea that gives everyone the opportunity to contribute, which I applaud, but unfortunately there are too many contributors willing to put up stubs or poorly written articles and not enough contributors who are willing to actually sit down and pad them out into something informative and presentable-- because of course the latter requires more effort than most of us have the time for. Lord knows I'd like to rewrite and reorganize every article that doesn't meet my own exacting (read: O.C.D.) standards, particularly the ones pertaining to DragonBall, but it's just not going to happen . . . and even if I did, there's always the chance it would all be torn apart a week later anyway.

If we were to get organized, on the other hand . . .
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:42 pm

Got a question for you, Taku128. Can you possibly be Takuthehedgehog at Wikipedia? I checked the time of the page move and compared it to the first post you made to this topic, and the two times seemed really close (Yes, I am aware of a different time-zone used on this forum). If you are him, than you would know how I felt about WhisperToMe's stubborn ass.
kvon wrote:(I tried moving it, but the same person just changed it back, saying "it was moved without consensus".
Why even bring up the word "consensus"? It's not like that ass would agree to anything that's been said to him. Have you guys read the talk page.? Most of them brought up that he's called Mr. Satan BOTH in the original Japanese version and the uncut dub. Then he pulled the last straw by bringing up the name "Hercule Satan". What the hell?

Project DB Wiki, as I said before, is a really good idea. But we have to deal with dubbies who only accepts FUNimation's names as original names. Yes, dubbed names should be listed only if the original name is both the name used in the title of the article and the name used in the article.
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:13 pm

kvon wrote:Got a question for you, Taku128. Can you possibly be Takuthehedgehog at Wikipedia? I checked the time of the page move and compared it to the first post you made to this topic, and the two times seemed really close (Yes, I am aware of a different time-zone used on this forum). If you are him, than you would know how I felt about WhisperToMe's stubborn ass.
kvon wrote:(I tried moving it, but the same person just changed it back, saying "it was moved without consensus".
Why even bring up the word "consensus"? It's not like that ass would agree to anything that's been said to him. Have you guys read the talk page.? Most of them brought up that he's called Mr. Satan BOTH in the original Japanese version and the uncut dub. Then he pulled the last straw by bringing up the name "Hercule Satan". What the hell?
I've had to deal with that guy too. I was one of the people trying to get the page changed to Mr.Satan (yeah, there was a consensus for changing the page to Mr.Satan but he pretty much ignored it and did what he wanted). I even gave him examples of other articles that used the Japanese names and he countered with "they were used in the (English) manga". Eventually I asked him "what about Ii Shenlong? His fucking CHINESE name is used in the title of that article". He said that he changed it but someone changed it back.

But yeah, I'd be all for this if it could work.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:46 pm

kvon wrote:Got a question for you, Taku128. Can you possibly be Takuthehedgehog at Wikipedia? I checked the time of the page move and compared it to the first post you made to this topic, and the two times seemed really close (Yes, I am aware of a different time-zone used on this forum). If you are him, than you would know how I felt about WhisperToMe's stubborn ass.

Project DB Wiki, as I said before, is a really good idea. But we have to deal with dubbies who only accepts FUNimation's names as original names. Yes, dubbed names should be listed only if the original name is both the name used in the title of the article and the name used in the article.
Yeah, I'm Takuthehedgehog. No one's even commented on it since September, and the article and every other page use Mr. Satan anyways.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Okay, consider me on board.

Oh, and that 'Hercule' shit shouldn't even be talked about. His name is Mr. Satan. He article should be called Mr. Satan.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:05 am

I'm in, too. I'll help any way I can.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:15 am

Not too long ago the idea crossed my mind to do something like this for Dragonball. Most detailed guide short of scripting that I can recall encountering... a DB database in the style of Rovang's Writers' Guide would be, simply put, Mondo Cool!
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:47 pm

I created a wiki account. I'm ready to help out when everbody else is. Who wants the head this anyway? For those willing, could I see the "floor plan" you'd have for this?

-rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:19 pm

I'm already a member, what we should do though is create a new account, put the name down what we want to be called followed by DaizEX#1 or something and so on.

That would really piss some of the people off ^^.
- Scott

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:43 am

chibi_goten wrote:I'm already a member, what we should do though is create a new account, put the name down what we want to be called followed by DaizEX#1 or something and so on.

That would really piss some of the people off ^^.
That's not necessary, those that really want to help out the editing process need only sign up (not even that, really,) and help out. If you want some help, I'm sure Taku would guide you. I'd offer help, but I'm rather new as well.

My talk page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DesireCampbell
Taku's talk page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Takuthehedgehog

Kay
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kay » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:06 am

I'd like to join in, too. Count me in as well. :)

Will be registering on Wikipedia soon, though.

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:21 am

desirecampbell wrote: That's not necessary, those that really want to help out the editing process need only sign up (not even that, really,) and help out. If you want some help, I'm sure Taku would guide you. I'd offer help, but I'm rather new as well.
I know it’s not necessary at all, I was just implying that there is a lot of people offering help, and maybe it could get out of hand. I'm still learning about Wikipedia myself and I think a lot of the people are, so perhaps we should just wait untill everyone is comfortable with it. If someone knows how to create a database then please make one and then just tell us what to do.
- Scott

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:59 am

By create a database, do you mean create one of our own for DB things? If PHP didn't eat me last time I tried to use it... I'd have an answer. Yay for people smarter than me! :D

As for wikipedia arguments, it seems rare that "important" wikipedia editors will care about articles on dragonball unless they're deleting an article (like the deletion of Dragonball Canon). So what we need is a group that can help moderate issues like we have with Hercule's cult in a way that only pisses off people that should be banned from Wikipedia in the first place. Instead of forming consensus against an opponent, compromise should be the first priority (as you've been talking about with the use of both dub and Japanese names, which seems like pure logic to me...). I.E, in the Mr. Satan article, mention that the edited version of the dub (not just English) calls him Hercule, but use Mr. Satan as the name of the page.

If we were to make our own database, it would be possible to give people a "preferred language" type option. We could show each version of the names in discussing characters, but then have the later uses of the name be based on the user preferences. Thus, everybody wins.

[edit]So was there a consensus here on this idea? If we wanted to, finding a place to host it would be easy. If instead we want a closed database like rovang.org,, that'd just involve getting a domain and a couple templets and having people watch the series for certain elements and take notes.[/edit]
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kay
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kay » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:16 pm

This is just annoying. I just registered and tried logging in (using MSN Explorer): Cookies disabled. So I use Internet Explorer to visit a Wikipedia page and I'm logged in. So I logged out and tried logging in. Cookies disabled.

Anyone experienced this before? Thanks for the help. ^^
Last edited by Kay on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:23 pm

The problem with Wikipedia, is that it's seen and used by everyone. That's also the reason why I don't like the idea of starting another wiki just for Dragonball.

If we start another wiki just to house Dragonball information, than that will be good, but Wikipedia, the source where everyone will look first, will still suck. We should make a concerted effort to improve Wikipedia.

Besides, if we wanted a non-Wikipedia site with accurate and reliable DBZ information we know where to find it.

So, everyone that wants to help out with making Wikipedia better -do it. If you need help, you can ask anyone - even me :D

My talk page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DesireCampbell
Taku's talk page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Takuthehedgehog

-edit-
Kay wrote:This is just annoying. I just registered and tried logging in (using MSN Explorer): Cookies disabled. So I use Internet Explorer to visit a Wikipedia page and I'm logged in. So I logged out and tried logging in. Cookies disabled.
Anyone experienced this before?
No, but you'll just have to enable cookies. Easy fix.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:31 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Hercu ... ested_move

Okay boys, I think the only thing that'll shut this one guy up about "Hercule" is to vote him off the island.

If you think Mr. Satan's article should be name "Mr. Satan", and not "Hercule", click the "edit" link next to "Survey" and add this to the bottom.
* '''Support''' - brief_explanation - your_name_here ~~~~
A "brief_explanation" could be as simple as "His name is Mr. Satan". It doesn't really matter.

PS- double posting makes me feel like a turd face :(

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Post by American Pelican » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:02 am

Well, I just voted in support of a move, under the name 'CurlyJ'. It seems to have tipped the scales in our favour, for now. Oh, and can anyone provide a source for this statement on the main page? 'The 'Z' was originally added to the title by Toriyama to signify it as being the ending portion of the Dragon Ball series.'
I removed it months ago due to lack of references, but it was reinstated with a link to a thread in random forum, which in turn had a link to a dodgy fan-site. I still don't know if that statement is true or not. :?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:41 am

American Pelican wrote:Well, I just voted in support of a move, under the name 'CurlyJ'. It seems to have tipped the scales in our favour, for now. Oh, and can anyone provide a source for this statement on the main page? 'The 'Z' was originally added to the title by Toriyama to signify it as being the ending portion of the Dragon Ball series.'
I removed it months ago due to lack of references, but it was reinstated with a link to a thread in random forum, which in turn had a link to a dodgy fan-site. I still don't know if that statement is true or not. :?
It's a commonly held explaination. I can't remember if he said it in an "ask Toriyama corner", or in an interview, or what.