Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by Ajay » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Toriyama's script is pretty much exactly what you get in the final product. Some rewrites fixed an issue that had Freeza recognising Bulma from Namek, and Toriyama did leave the intricacies of the fight scenes up to the animators, but aside from that, it's all on him. That Freeza line is printed clear as day in Volume F.
Freeza wrote:Is that so surprising? In my estimation, if I train hard for 4 months then…I should acquire a battle power of 1.30 million…
Can't say I really care either way, but whatever, there it is. It's easily justifiable if you really want to stretch things.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:49 pm

Yeah, there's a bit more to it than that, with the staff cutting a couple of scenes Toriyama wrote, as well as adding in some like Jaco drawing the picture of Freeza. Like I said though, mostly minor changes.

I feel like if both versions were animated for comparison, a good chunk of people would just gloss over the differences.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:02 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Yeah, there's a bit more to it than that.
I'm aware; I wasn't trying to correct your post. Just adding my own two cents into the mix. Though I guess too vaguely, it seems.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:41 pm

The manga version of the movie doesn't have the 1.30 million line, so I'll go by that and ignore it as well. (Seems like Toyotaro/Toyble saw that this was BS.)
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:58 pm

Is it just me or did Schemmel make Goku sound a little to high pitched in this movie? I still liked the voice a lot but I thought there was just a hint of too much happiness or w/e.
Ajay wrote:Toriyama's script is pretty much exactly what you get in the final product. Some rewrites fixed an issue that had Freeza recognising Bulma from Namek, and Toriyama did leave the intricacies of the fight scenes up to the animators, but aside from that, it's all on him. That Freeza line is printed clear as day in Volume F.
Freeza wrote:Is that so surprising? In my estimation, if I train hard for 4 months then…I should acquire a battle power of 1.30 million…
Can't say I really care either way, but whatever, there it is. It's easily justifiable if you really want to stretch things.
Volume F has been translated?
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:39 am

Geekdom why do u say Toriyama didn't write the script for FNF what makes u say that.

It’s really embarrassing to have this called a “screenplay”. It’d probably be more accurate to say it’s just a memo. It’s simply something I idly dashed off for the staff, just to help explain the flow of the story and the dialogue! Never in a million years did I think it would get published. If any of you are trying to become scriptwriters, please don’t use this as an example!!

I guess you could say that some things are difficult for anyone but the original author to write, because only the original author can freely mess around with what’s already been established. A scriptwriter would get tied up trying not to screw with the original story, so in that respect they’d probably have a harder time messing around with things.

Then there’s the dialogue. The original author knows each character’s personality and backstory, so they can naturally think up dialogue that suits them.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:57 am

Okay, so I got to watch the movie a few hours ago and I wanted to share my thoughts about it with you all.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:52 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Okay, so I got to watch the movie a few hours ago and I wanted to share my thoughts about it with you all.
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

The only gripe that I have, is that the ending didn't have major implications in the Dragon Ball universe. That's 1 of the things I love most about DB & Toriyama's writing. How one fight can change the course of the series forever.

When...

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:28 pm

I really enjoyed this movie. There was a lot more action scenes compared to Battle of Gods. I'm only kinda disappointed about the ending because Goku took Vegetas moment and the way Goku killed Freeza was such a cop out. Overall I feel like this film was better then Battle of Gods.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:42 pm

Edit: Nevermind. :P

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Well they dun' f*cked it up. EVERY single showing of Resurrection F has been sold out here...really, only ONE showing on a Saturday? They should have shown it all day today.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:14 pm

Just got back from seeing this with my gf and roommate. Really enjoyed it. There seemed to be a heavy emphasis on martial arts, which is a huge breathe of fresh air; the two Bruce Lee references, the choreography, etc. There was also a great deal more humor than I was lead to believe. My only gripes with it were the CGI, the pop idol song during the credits, and F's instrumental version playing over Beerus and Whis talking about food.

As far as I can tell, if you don't try to force your own personal system for interpreting feats, statements, implications, and the like onto the film, the grounds for battle power related gripes whither away.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Finally saw the movie live, and just like I thought. Turn your damn brain off if you want to have a good time. Forget every detail that you might care about (cause the writing team don't care), and you'll have a much better time. Did that with Battle of Gods last year, and did it this year. It's really the only way to have for me to have fun with these movies, which I do. Remember, they don't give a fuck about being consistent, so why bother putting the brain process into making it all work, when you can just forget it and have a good time. I'm surprised it was sold out when I went in. Never expected a Dragon Ball movie to be sold out twice no less where I am.

Everything I thought was dumb, still dumb. Everything I thought I'd enjoy, I did. Dubbed stuff brought me some joy and it all looked great on screen...cept the CG shit. To list it out since I don't want to repeat myself over the course of a long time.

Positive
-Banter is fun
-Jaco is great
-Animation aside from CG is good
-Music is decent but horribly forgettable
-Chris Ayres is amazing as Freeza and steps it up further
-Whis is a joy to see and hear from.
-Vegeta mentioned his rule over his planet which I can't remember if that was said in the Japanese, as I believe him missing out on being ruler meant more than it's people he never cared for.
-Freeza talking shit is funny
-Choreography (outside the poor mook rush choreography) is excellent. Add speed and forceful blows and it'd be a real treat to watch.
-The torture parts are the only time anyone sells a devastating blow, and the one inch punch too.
-Vegeta beating down Freeza was a joy to listen to with Sabat's voice. Though the concept kinda soils Vegeta here for me
-Goku's power up to SSGSS sounded better than Masako's fart grunt. One case where I give Schemmel the point over her.
-All the english voice actors sound great...except a few...

Negative
-Beerus is still an annoying shit head.
-Mook rush still looks dumb when so many people stand around and do nothing. Also the concept needed work.
-Fights still lacked any sense of speed (outside of the cheap shockwaves which do not compensate speed...though Gohan is the only one to show true speed)
-Fights lack any impact. I swear everyone is giving love taps and not selling these moves. They don't look as painful as they should.
-Goku's deep SSGSS voice puts me off. I think it's too deep and should sound lighter.
-Freeza's colours still look awful on screen
-Deviantart Saiyans are still horrendous
-Tension still completely lacking from numerous work arounds.
-Beerus and Whis feel tagged on beyond their introduction in the movie (outside of Deus ex Whis). There stupid food gimmick for some reason interrupted F for no good reason.
-F is inserted poorly into the final battle.
-Don't like Sorbet's voice
-18, Marron, Videl, Pan, Chi Chi, dead....BUT VEGETA BOOHOO VEGETAAAA! Only Vegeta Sempai really matters.
-Numerous things I have to turn my brain off for or else I'll lose my sense of enjoyment.

Same deal as last year for me. Turn off brain, enjoy movie. I'd really like to not have to do that and just forgive the few things I may be bugged by...but it's more than a few. Still fun time regardless.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Pretty big waste of time even making this into a movie, especially now that Super has made both this and BoG completely pointless for future viewers of the series who weren't around when they first came around as the movies did. The animation looked pretty great with the fighting choreography being vastly superior to pretty much anything else that came before. Certain interactions were great like Bulma & Freeza or Bulma & Jaco. Chris Ayer's is always a joy to listen to as Freeza, dudes one of the best in the whole franchise, its just a shame this is probably the last time he'll get to play this character, not a good send off at all.

Freeza's entire role in this was already shown in Fusion Reborn: comes back, doesn't do s*it to learn from his mistakes, gets killed like a joke. Only here it's an hour and 28 minutes longer than it needs to be. Goku's character was already humbled in BoG so I don't know wtf Whis is even talking about with his character flaw. Him & Vegeta not wanting to work together makes no sense, they worked to beat Buu and didn't have any hard feelings over it before. Another forced retcon.

At this point, Dragon Ball feels like an old friend you keep meeting up with and you used to love this friend like a brother. But after so many years, you just can't help but feel that he needs to change himself up a bit and stop acting the same now as he was back then. BoG showed that Dragon Ball was starting to evolve somewhat, this and the beginning of Super have taken that notion and quietly shived in the corner of a dank, depressing prison cell and left it to bleed to death. Probably gonna get a bunch of "But this is what Dragon Ball is!" comments but DB has been playing the same act for 20 years now and I think its time to shake up the formula. If DB can go from a more adventurous series to full blown, balls out action, I think we can survive getting at least a short while of something different & smarter without needing the next big release to ruin all of that before it can truly take form like FnF has.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:33 pm

Apologies if this has already been posted or is in the wrong thread, but it turns out 4 days ago the Resurrection 'F' soundtrack was officially released digitally in the UK!
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/drago ... 1022371786
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/music/alb ... a&hl=en_GB
Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012 ... 1439068610
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/4RNgenW1SsbjKP5GumOV1z
Edit: Ah, so there was US release on the same day; Somehow I missed that when I was searching the forum. Well, there's the UK links anyway.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:11 pm

*SPIT TAKE*

You can actually buy the original Japanese BGM for a Dragon Ball movie without having to import a CD.

What a time to be alive.

I've already imported the CD, myself, but this is still a HUGE step forward.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:31 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:The manga version of the movie doesn't have the 1.30 million line, so I'll go by that and ignore it as well. (Seems like Toyotaro/Toyble saw that this was BS.)
There's plenty of differences between Toyotaro's manga adaptations for RoF/Super and their animated counterparts. I doubt they're all due to Toyataro thinking the anime version was BS, and I don't see any reason to think that's the case here.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:48 pm

Finally saw the movie in theaters. I liked it.

Didn't take a liking to the CGI that appeared, a lot. But the fight animation was great for the most part. Surprised to see more than a generic punch and kick come from the Z Fighters; it looked like actual martial arts.

The scenes were kind of all over the place, seemed a little jumpy at points. The ending was... well I'll let others see for themselves in due time.

What's the next step? Super is out and will keep things moving for a while, so I'm curious what the next film would be, if there's any after this.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:57 pm

Rewatched it, dialog and humor were great, but story was absolute shit. I thought it would be better than what I had heard but goddamn, CGI was terrible. OST was good though. Characters felt like themselves but Goku's weakness was horribly portrayed with the laser gun. That wasn't even "off-guard", that was a sucker punch like what Whis did earlier in the movie. Also I didn't like how it was Goku's mercy that was harped upon, considering he got over that after blasting Freeza on Namek. Such bs, I'd probably score it a 4-5/10
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Saw it earlier today… JACO IS HILARIOUS…

In fact the chemistry between all the characters is what I loved most. However the core premise of the movie is still pretty pointless.

C+ at best.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels