Episode #0119 (09 March 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:53 am

Captain Awesome wrote:You should have seen my face when I started watching my season 2 set.
I actually stood up and said to no-one in particular.
"This is fuckin' bullshit"
God those colours are bad.
I tried to be excited about the boxsets, I really really did. I can't watch them. I honestly can't enjoy the series, because of the terrible image quality.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:56 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Speaking of the Death Note dub there are some super-elitists that are pissed because L's voice is a bit funky and the don't call Light "Raito" even though Death Note's dubbed awesomely.
You mean... the character named "Light" who goes in-depth via his own personal dialog explaining the kanji behind his name and why it means what it means and how "Light" is what it should be written as?

Awesome.
Dogasu wrote:What Pokemon movie did you end up watching, VegettoEX?
3, 4, & Mewtwo OVA/special. All dubbed.
Dogasu wrote:I think the fact that Toonami chose to premiere the new dub alongside the last few episodes of the old dub only helped emphasize the differences between the two.
Great point to make. It was a huge deal that they were finishing off those two episodes from season two and going into the first two episodes of season three, and I can't imagine the shift being any more blatantly obvious than by pointing it out that way to your audience. I mean, they were clearly counting on people to not care (there's no way even kids wouldn't notice; I mean, we all knew when Uncle Phil wasn't doing Shredder on certain days).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Speaking of the Death Note dub there are some super-elitists that are pissed because L's voice is a bit funky and the don't call Light "Raito" even though Death Note's dubbed awesomely.
You mean... the character named "Light" who goes in-depth via his own personal dialog explaining the kanji behind his name and why it means what it means and how "Light" is what it should be written as?

Awesome.
Yes. I know what you mean; that kinda annoyed me that even in the Japanese version he explained it's Light not Raito. Raito's just the pronunciation in the Japanese Version. But I know you know that.
I hate when people bash excellent dubs like Death Note. If they think it sucks so much than why don't they try dubbing it, the way they want?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:

Awesome.
Yeah. That's why I hate most of the internet.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You mean... the character named "Light" who goes in-depth via his own personal dialog explaining the kanji behind his name and why it means what it means and how "Light" is what it should be written as?

Awesome.
Well...every fandom has those people. Dragon Ball has people who insist on using "Torankusu" instead of "Trunks," One Piece has people who insist on using "Ruffi" instead of "Luffy," and Pocket Monsters has people who insist on something like "Rukario" instead of "Lucario." It's like there's some unwritten rule or something.

The funny thing about Light is that even though it's written out like "Raito," it's still pronounced, even in the Japanese version, with the l sound.
3, 4, & Mewtwo OVA/special. All dubbed.
Ah...so you watched some of the older stuff. Shame you can't legally watch the Japanese version of those movies without importing expensive Region 2 DVDs (especially the Celebi movie).
Great point to make. It was a huge deal that they were finishing off those two episodes from season two and going into the first two episodes of season three
Well, to be fair, CN had aired those late Season 2 episodes before. They were already reruns (even for CN) when it was time to premiere Season 3.
I mean, we all knew when Uncle Phil wasn't doing Shredder on certain days).
Y'know, I just learned who the VA for that character was like a year ago. No idea why I never realized it before.

I think the idea is that yes, people will notice, but no one will care enough to stop watching. After the initial shock of it all, I think the average American fan will focus on the story again instead of obsessing about how wrong all the voices sound and how nobody in the show seems to be able to act. That's seem to have been the case with every anime that's gone through a voice actor change at one point or another.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:16 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

Awesome.
Yeah. That's why I hate most of the internet.
Same with me...