Kai Episode 5 (03 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 04, 2009 8:09 am

Bussani wrote:
Rod wrote:
TheMajinRedComet wrote:Dang Goku is at King Kai's place next episode... Thats very fast.
It's probably just the fact that there's no Snake princess or hell, or Gohan's robot and stuff
Well, obviously it's filler in general that accounts for the change in pace. But to bring 18 episodes down to 6? That's a ton of filler right there...
It's more like 9/10 episodes brought down to 6, as they're axing the entirity of episodes 9-17 for being 100% filler.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon May 04, 2009 8:19 am

Adamant wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Rod wrote: It's probably just the fact that there's no Snake princess or hell, or Gohan's robot and stuff
Well, obviously it's filler in general that accounts for the change in pace. But to bring 18 episodes down to 6? That's a ton of filler right there...
It's more like 9/10 episodes brought down to 6, as they're axing the entirity of episodes 9-17 for being 100% filler.
Well yeah. But in terms of pace, how quickly it gets on with the story, I'm impressed. It just goes to show how many 100% filler eps there were. =D

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon May 04, 2009 9:06 am

Eh, while this moved fairly quickly, it doesn't feel like much happened. I guess we get to see a handful of "new" characters, such as Popo, God, and Yajirobe.

And that was my first time hearing Yajirobe's Japanese voice. Holy shit.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon May 04, 2009 9:07 am

B wrote:Eh, while this moved fairly quickly, it doesn't feel like much happened. I guess we get to see a handful of "new" characters, such as Popo, God, and Yajirobe.

And that was my first time hearing Yajirobe's Japanese voice. Holy shit.
It sounded a tad different to me, but not as much as Piccolo.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 04, 2009 10:10 am

Adamant wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Rod wrote: It's probably just the fact that there's no Snake princess or hell, or Gohan's robot and stuff
Well, who knows. They might just be collapsing alll of that filler down into one episode. The A Plot might be Son's arrival at Kaiô's but the B Plot might be the gathering at Kami's.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon May 04, 2009 8:23 pm

If the animation wasn't inconsistent, they should have re-animated a quick scene of Yamcha, Kuririn, Ten, Chaoz and Yayirobe training at Kami's looking like that panel from the manga.

Ramoro-san
Not-So-Newbie

Yajirobe

Post by Ramoro-san » Tue May 05, 2009 2:03 am

Coola Yagami wrote:My memory is kinda bad.... did Yayirobe always sound like that?
Yeah... See, I'm a major devotee of the original Japanese, but even I hate Yajirobe's annoying voice. His is the one Japanese voice that I am really not cool with. I mean good Lord, why would they have a big, chubby dude talk like somebody's crushing his balls? But again, I really only watch the Japanese so I'm kind of over it. Plus he's not a frequent character... luckily. I really want him to go away whenever he comes on the screen...

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue May 05, 2009 9:01 am

Virgil wrote:After Piccolo says farewell to Gohan, he originally told him not to wonder off because the area was surrounded by an hellish desert and the plains compared to it felt like a "paradise".
I belive that line was actually in the episode.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Yajirobe

Post by sangofe » Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 am

Ramoro-san wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:My memory is kinda bad.... did Yayirobe always sound like that?
Yeah... See, I'm a major devotee of the original Japanese, but even I hate Yajirobe's annoying voice. His is the one Japanese voice that I am really not cool with. I mean good Lord, why would they have a big, chubby dude talk like somebody's crushing his balls? But again, I really only watch the Japanese so I'm kind of over it. Plus he's not a frequent character... luckily. I really want him to go away whenever he comes on the screen...
Heh, I've always thought he has a cool sounding voice. It's different xD

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue May 05, 2009 11:32 am

This episode was pretty enjoyable. Nothing really special though. Although I am excited now for the next episode since it seems they have cut out a shit load of filler.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:28 pm

Who is Mr. Popo's new seiyu? And is it just me or Yajirobe sounds way high pitched than usuall?

Goku at Kai's the next episode!!

At least they got rid of the H.F.I.L. episode, because if they kept it, it'll keep the inconsistenty of why Goku bothers to run the whole thing again when he can "go down to Hell" and use the tunnel that led him to King Enma's desk in no time.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue May 05, 2009 1:45 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Who is Mr. Popo's new seiyu?
His new seiyuu is Kawadu Yasuhiko (川津泰彦) and his original seiyuu was Nishio Toku (西尾 徳).
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue May 05, 2009 2:15 pm

Hujio wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:Who is Mr. Popo's new seiyu?
His new seiyuu is Kawadu Yasuhiko (川津泰彦) and his original seiyuu was Nishio Toku (西尾 徳).
Kawazu Yasuhiko.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue May 05, 2009 2:47 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Hujio wrote:His new seiyuu is Kawadu Yasuhiko (川津泰彦) and his original seiyuu was Nishio Toku (西尾 徳).
You mean Kawazu Yasuhiko. :P
It depends on how you want to translate it. Really both are acceptable, but the new standard translation would technically be Kawadzu Yasuhiko, meaning there are esentially three different ways you can translate it. Although Kawazu Yasuhiko is what appears on his ANN and Aoni Productions profile pages, nowadays it is actually the least accepted of the three translations.

For anyone that's not sure what's going on, here's a little background...

The character "du/zu (づ)" is pronounced as "dzu" and is rarely used because of its confusion with the commonly used character "zu (ず)". However, there are essential words that do use this hiragana such as "tsuduku (続く)", the verb to continue. Most dictionaries will write this as "tsuzuku", however, that means you have two "zu" hiragana in two different sets. To avoid this confusion it has become popular practice to use "du" instead, since "dzu" is impossible to write in Japanese and "zu" is already in use. Most Japanese word processing programs acknowledge this method of character differentiation. So, that is why I went with Kawadu Yasuhiko.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Tue May 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Hujio wrote:Although Kawazu Yasuhiko is what appears on his ANN and Aoni Productions profile pages, nowadays it is actually the least accepted of the three translations.
Least accepted by whom? Last I checked the Hepburn romanization system still uses "zu", and that (along with a few variants of it) is far and away the most popular system for representing Japanese in Roman letters.

Besides, romanizing both as "zu" makes sense from a functional perspective because there's no pronunciation difference between ず and づ, and hence writing them the same makes you far more likely to pronounce the latter correctly. (Most romanizations aren't intended for people who are interested in knowing the hiragana spelling. That's what hiragana is for, after all :p)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue May 05, 2009 6:03 pm

For the record, no, not really. Among the characters who kept their old voice actor, Yajirobe is by far the most different-sounding one.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Well, stuff changes over time. Tanaka either felt like reading off like that or her ADR director was thinking "maybe try doing this!"

Or she just forgot...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ramoro-san
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ramoro-san » Tue May 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Adamant wrote:
For the record, no, not really. Among the characters who kept their old voice actor, Yajirobe is by far the most different-sounding one.
Really? 'Cause I thought he sounded the same and just as obnoxious and stupid as ever. But maybe I'll have to take a second look/listen...

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed May 06, 2009 11:33 am

Ramoro-san wrote:
Adamant wrote:
Really? 'Cause I thought he sounded the same and just as obnoxious and stupid as ever. But maybe I'll have to take a second look/listen...
I agree, I don't recall him sounding that different, and I immediately noticed that Popo's voice was different.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed May 06, 2009 11:35 am

Great episode! Can't wait for next week. Whee! No filler! :-D