Kai Episode 6 (10 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue May 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Some trivia about the pun Goku uses to make Kaio laugh: it’s futon ga futtonda, “the futon was blown away”. As Adamant said, the idea behind this and Kaio’s puns are that the first part of the sentence sounds like the second. An English equivalent might be “the gnu knew the new nu” or something. Toriyama used the pun futon ga futtonda earlier in Dr. Slump (during the mysterious floating orb chapter), where he credits his friend and fellow manga artist Masakazu Katsura as the one who thought it up.

In the manga Goku only says that one pun, but in Z and Kai he uses a few more, including the cat one that Kendamu mentioned.
Adamant wrote:
Catterix2006 wrote: But Krillin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Chaozu and Yajirobe... have only just begun their training? So they waited 6 months after Yajirobe told them to meet up, before going to Kami's place?
Yep. It's even more jarring in DBZ, where you actually SEE the weeks and months pass as Kuririn sloooowly meanders around picking up his friends.
In contrast to the manga, where the narrator says that Tenshinhan and the others were quickly found.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue May 12, 2009 11:26 pm

What's the pun/joke when Kaio-sama introduces himself? He starts scratching himself, and yells his name

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue May 12, 2009 11:42 pm

His introductory pun comes from gradually morphing kayui/"itchy" into his own name, Kaio.

JPN: Huhuhu…washi wa…*pori pori* U~n, kai~yo~, kai~o~, kaiou…Kaiou ja!
Tr: Huhuhu…I am…*scratch scratch* O~h, it’s itch~y~, itch~ii~, itchii…I’m Kaio!

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue May 12, 2009 11:48 pm

Herms wrote:His introductory pun comes from gradually morphing kayui/"itchy" into his own name, Kaio.

JPN: Huhuhu…washi wa…*pori pori* U~n, kai~yo~, kai~o~, kaiou…Kaiou ja!
Tr: Huhuhu…I am…*scratch scratch* O~h, it’s itch~y~, itch~ii~, itchii…I’m Kaio!
:lol: It finally makes sense! I remember reading a Spanish manga from Spain, his introduction was: "I'm the one who scratches himself because he's ticklish, I'm Kaio" I was so confused, I had no idea what that panel was doing there and it was just so weird :lol:

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:08 am

I think Steve's translation made Kaio's name got something to do with mosquitos... let me check...

Kaio: "Scratch... scratch... scratch... Eh, there's a mosquito... a mosquito... 'Skaito... Kaio!"
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed May 13, 2009 7:10 am

Huh, that's neat. What did he do for Kaio's phone pun and Goku's futon one?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:23 am

Herms wrote:Huh, that's neat. What did he do for Kaio's phone pun and Goku's futon one?
Phone: "Huh? I picked up the phone, but no one was home!"

Goku: "My futon... flew away, gone!" - "My feline... has gone supine!" - "My stylus is sightless!"

Man... the "S-F"* group are terrible... what happend to the good ones?

*no names on this forum"
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed May 13, 2009 10:29 am

They didn't included Yamcha playing baseball filler... imagining how much hours Akira Toriyama probably spent thinking in Yamcha's profession and now they didn't included it. :P

Cheska_Briune

Post by Cheska_Briune » Wed May 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:They didn't included Yamcha playing baseball filler... imagining how much hours Akira Toriyama probably spent thinking in Yamcha's profession and now they didn't included it. :P
Haha. I was actually kind of sad that little part of filler was gone. I liked it. Then again, like others have mentioned, the filler kind of added more depth to the characters, or at least gave the chance for the show to explain more and have more fun with everything. Oh well, that's why we have Dragon Ball Z anyway. Kai is good for this reason in that we get into everything faster, lessening the deadly long fights/situations.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed May 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:They didn't included Yamcha playing baseball filler... imagining how much hours Akira Toriyama probably spent thinking in Yamcha's profession and now they didn't included it. :P
I've always pictured it like this:

Toei: Mr Toriyama we need a profession for Yamcha
Toriyama.Profession huh?
*Man walks by window*
Toriyama: Hey!
Man:huh?
Toriyama: tell me a job
Man: I don't know, baseball?
Toriyama: Mr Toei president you still on the line? He's a basball player. Bye

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed May 13, 2009 10:37 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
Man... the "S-F"* group are terrible... what happend to the good ones?

*no names on this forum"
Seriously....I'm thinking I should just watch them raw until the better fansubbers start up again, because the crappy popular one just gets things completely wrong sometimes. It's hard to pay attention to the dialogue when I often find myself comparing the subs to the dialogue and thinking to myself, "That's not what they're saying!" The pun scene was particularly terrible, because they didn't even try to make it make sense .
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 13, 2009 11:07 pm

That's how Fansubbers work.

There was one I saw, where on the 2nd Ep when that flashback mentions the Tenkaichi Budokai, they changed it to "Budokai Tenkaichi" to match the video game...

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:23 am

DemonRin wrote:That's how Fansubbers work.

There was one I saw, where on the 2nd Ep when that flashback mentions the Tenkaichi Budokai, they changed it to "Budokai Tenkaichi" to match the video game...
So... I guess we'll be getting ourselves some Over 9000?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu May 14, 2009 8:35 am

The fans are annoying.

They're like "english plz" in all the youtube comments.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Thu May 14, 2009 10:18 am

So, the music in this episode was an epic clusterfuck.

On one hand, the second half of the episode had some nice music on Kaio's planet, and the second "humans training" scene had a great piece. I especially like how the Kaio's planet music was light and silly, a perfect fit for the scenes in question. There was also an excellent piece when Gohan was playing around and getting food at the start of the episode, it just fit really nicely and made the scene a ton of fun to watch.

The problem with the good music, though, is that it came with some extremely disappointing, overall just plain terrible pieces. The rock guitar riff for one of the Gohan sparring scenes was the worst offender, making me think that this is what the inverse of the Japanese music with English voices offered on the orange brick sets would be like. It was literally ear-splittingly horrible for me, like someone had intentionally tried to make something fit within the annoyance spectrum between obnoxious radio DJs and the "mosquito tone".

There were a bunch of pieces that were either annoying, or not bad pieces in and of themselves but just jarringly unfitting for the scene playing along with them. Gohan being chased by a dinosaur was pretty bad, for example. It started off fairly well when the dinosaur shows up, but then it devolves into this really annoying piece by the time the chase actually starts.

The "Dokkan Dokkan" instrumental doesn't seem to fit half the scenes it's put to. When Goku reaches Kaio-sama's place, playing that as a huge "victory tune" just doesn't feel right. And the first piece of music we hear on Kaio-sama's planet wasn't any good either. The music picks up when Bubbles shows up, though, and the rest of the music in scenes on that planet are just fine.

Watching this episode, I sometimes wished that the whole soundtrack would go back to just "meh", so I wouldn't have to sit through tripe that made me go "Get the fuck out of my Dragon Ball, you wretched piece of shit" for some of these tunes. At least it's getting noticeable though, which is a start?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu May 14, 2009 10:44 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:The fans are annoying.
*GASP* Dragonball Z fans being annoying dicks!? Who would have thunk it? :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Yeah.....that fansub group did a pretty bad job of translating Kaio-sama's joke (Not to mention that Genki Dama/Spirit Ball in the opening theme is translated to Balls of Energy.. lol what?). I liked Daimao's take. It was pretty neat.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 pm

I liek the saxophonesque music palying when Goku slides down Snake Road.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Thu May 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Absolutely loved this episode. Loved the music, loved the VA's. The only downside for me is the fansubs.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri May 15, 2009 7:09 am

Sebastian (SB) wrote:Not to mention that Genki Dama/Spirit Ball in the opening theme is translated to Balls of Energy.. lol what?
Well, that's probably because they literally translated Genki-dama:

元気 (げんき / genki) - energy
玉 (だま / dama) - ball / sphere
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::