Kai Episode 7 (17 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue May 19, 2009 4:38 pm

One of the things I noticed most in this episode, was that it had some really nice looking redrawn scenes. Here are a couple of the ones (I'm pretty sure all of these are redrawn) I saw [click for larger versions]:

And when I saw this one, I almost thought they had done what I had been most hoping they would do:
...but sadly not.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue May 19, 2009 6:29 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Image
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this shot hasn't been redrawn or re-animated in any way. The only scenes in the episode that were re-animated were when Gohan charges Piccolo and punches him, when Piccolo returns the favor and punches him back, and when Piccolo blasts Gohan in the face at point-blank range. So the rest of the images you listed are correct. :D
Last edited by Hujio on Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue May 19, 2009 6:31 pm

I love shot #1 if only for the fact that poor Piccolo needs to take a nap... lookit those bags.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue May 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Hujio wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:*Snip*
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this shot hasn't been redrawn or re-animated in any way. The only scenes in the episode that were re-animated were when Gohan charges Piccolo and punches him, when Piccolo returns the favor and punches him back, and when Piccolo blast Gohan in the face at point-blank range. So the rest of the images you listed are correct. :D
Yeah, that was the only one I really questioned; it was mainly the next frame that I thought looked really redrawn (just because the colors looked a little extre vibrant), but I guess not. Thanks for clearing that up!

*Twenty-Seven Hundredth Post!*

TheAmericanDream
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheAmericanDream » Wed May 20, 2009 7:59 pm

B wrote:I've never heard Tenshinhan's original VA, but this to me sounds strange. Too bad he hasn't said much throughout these episodes for me to make an actual opinion out of it.

The Tenshinhan die hard in me wants to say "You haven't lived until you heard his original voice" but his original VA is just really hardcore sounding (my liking of his character went up exponentially when I one saw original dragonball and heard that much better voice, I can't even tolerate his dub anymore..), His new one I think is trying hard to kinda reach that level of cool but It does sound a bit awkward, I think the more I hear him though the more I can adjust I think we won't know till his fight with Nappa. I gotta say I will miss the robot Illusion Saiyans and the Saiyans on that other planet. Thing is, these work as fun mini episodes, but It does drag down the overall pace of the series, and I think now it is feeling a bit more decently paced. But I miss the original music so much. I just feel conflicted as a fan. The idea of now slow down is great, but..at this point I almost would rather just fast forward the normal Dbz scenes then watch this edited not as nostalgic show. And I've only been watching it in japanese since 2002 (Is that too soon to be nostalgic?)

I really can't wait to see how kai handles longer fights and the pacing of those, I am actually a fan of MOST dragonball filler, not all, but a lot of it. But the filler added to the fight scenes and character speeches is really painful. I just mostly miss the OST and random side plot episodes. All I can say is I hope kai does well so I can get more great specials like that Shonen Jump one last year. I am really crossing my fingers for some new insert songs that match the level of super saiyan 2 gohan's some where down the line in Kai.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed May 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Um, does anyone know what this message says? I know it's specific to the channel this particular airing was aired on, but I'm just curious if it is a message about future episodes (like maybe they'll be taking a week off for a baseball game, like they often did in the original run).

In other news, I finished documenting the BGMfor this episode (21 Individual Pieces / 20 Recycled Pieces).

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 pm

It's a news thing about Influenza, it's not relevant to DBK

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed May 20, 2009 10:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Can anyone translate this text that appeared in the beginning of the episode, during the Bardock flashback? Thanks!
"Turn the lights on and don't sit too close to the TV or the Pokeymanz will give you seizures again, kplzthxdontsueus."
Perhaps this is it? I could be mistaken, because I don't speak a word of the language.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 20, 2009 10:39 pm

bkev wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Can anyone translate this text that appeared in the beginning of the episode, during the Bardock flashback? Thanks!
"Turn the lights on and don't sit too close to the TV or the Pokeymanz will give you seizures again, kplzthxdontsueus."
Perhaps this is it? I could be mistaken, because I don't speak a word of the language.
That was way back in the first episode, how is that relevant now?...

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed May 20, 2009 10:44 pm

They have to do it every episode, don't they?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 20, 2009 10:47 pm

bkev wrote:They have to do it every episode, don't they?
Yeah, but we already know about that, we have since episode 1 XP

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed May 20, 2009 10:48 pm

mistaken, sorry.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 pm

bkev wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
That's what I thought at first too, but it's not. The "9" in the second part of the message is what really made me think they were doing something along the lines of telling up that next week they'll be airing something instead of Kai.
DemonRin wrote:It's a news thing about Influenza, it's not relevant to DBK
Wow, random.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu May 21, 2009 12:48 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:Um, does anyone know what this message says? I know it's specific to the channel this particular airing was aired on, but I'm just curious if it is a message about future episodes (like maybe they'll be taking a week off for a baseball game, like they often did in the original run).
NST News Bulletin

9 high school students in Ibaraki City, Osaka, have been confirmed to have Swine Flu---The Ministry of Health

NST News Bulletin/End
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu May 21, 2009 12:03 pm

Herms wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Um, does anyone know what this message says? I know it's specific to the channel this particular airing was aired on, but I'm just curious if it is a message about future episodes (like maybe they'll be taking a week off for a baseball game, like they often did in the original run).
NST News Bulletin

9 high school students in Ibaraki City, Osaka, have been confirmed to have Swine Flu---The Ministry of Health

NST News Bulletin/End
I was paranoid before, but now that it's seeping its way into Dragon Ball...

*orders Hellboy-themed facemask for £7.99 plus £2.75 postage on eBay*

And Rambo, that first shot of Piccolo looks terrible to me, but that's just mon opinion.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu May 21, 2009 7:14 pm

See, I knew it was a news Post ("NST NEWS" Tipped me off) So I didn't even read it, just scanned it, saw Influenza, and was done XP

Thanks Herms

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu May 21, 2009 8:52 pm

Herms wrote:NST News Bulletin

NST News Bulletin/End
So... Kaio's laughing because nine kids have the swine flu?

:(

That's not a very funny joke, Kaio-sama.

And I haven't watched any of Dragon Ball Kai. I like the lighter colors and what I've heard of the music, but it will be a shame to lose the episodes where they're training for the Saiyans. Those were the best fillers in Dragon Ball history.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri May 22, 2009 5:17 pm

What is up with Kai stating how much the gravity of Kaio's planet is higher than ours if everyone made a big deal for the same not be stated in the original?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri May 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:What is up with Kai stating how much the gravity of Kaio's planet is higher than ours if everyone made a big deal for the same not be stated in the original?
I'm not too sure what you mean, but Kaio mentioned his planet having 10x Earth's gravity in the manga.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Fri May 22, 2009 9:03 pm

When/What is the next significant filler? Fake Namek?