Kai Episode 8 (24 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:10 am

Herms wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:And "Kulilin" works just as well (or just as poorly) as "Kuririn" at bringing out the pun. Really, his name should be spelt "Kurilin" because it's a combination of "Kuri" and "Shaolin", but I've NEVER seen anyone use that spelling.
What source is there for the last part of his name coming from "Shaolin"? Toriyama's only ever mentioned the kuri pun.
I heard it on the forums a long time ago.
*Checks*
Nevermind. Julian said the second part is "most likely" from shaolin. This was back in 2004, so I guess I just remembered it wrong.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu May 28, 2009 3:54 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:
AT should have had Freeza wear a 'Freeza' t-shirt, to end all disputes. Imagine all the Bloomer/Blooma/Buruma arguements that were avoided cause Bulma wore a 'Bulma' shirt on the first episode/issue?
As hilarious as the mental image of Freeza in a "Freeza" t-shirt is; I don't think it'd have solved things because Goku's spacesuit says "Gokuh" while the baseball cap of his that Piccolo borrowed in the driving episode says "Gokuu".

There's also Kuririn's "Kulilin" baseball hat.
Since the driving episode was filler, it was Toei that put "Gokuu" on his hat (just like the "Gokou" cup in movie #3). Gokuh wears the "Gokuh" spacesuit in the comic, right? Because I know that "Gokuh" is how Toriyama has always spelt his name. But I agree, it still wouldn't solve any disputes. Mostly because almost no one spells his name that way and don't like it even though Toriyama spells it that way.

And "Kulilin" works just as well (or just as poorly) as "Kuririn" at bringing out the pun. Really, his name should be spelt "Kurilin" because it's a combination of "Kuri" and "Shaolin", but I've NEVER seen anyone use that spelling.
Toriyama has wrote both "Son Goku" and "Son Gokuh" on various drawings. I don't think he wrote any other variants.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu May 28, 2009 6:07 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:
Chuquita wrote: As hilarious as the mental image of Freeza in a "Freeza" t-shirt is; I don't think it'd have solved things because Goku's spacesuit says "Gokuh" while the baseball cap of his that Piccolo borrowed in the driving episode says "Gokuu".

There's also Kuririn's "Kulilin" baseball hat.
Since the driving episode was filler, it was Toei that put "Gokuu" on his hat (just like the "Gokou" cup in movie #3). Gokuh wears the "Gokuh" spacesuit in the comic, right? Because I know that "Gokuh" is how Toriyama has always spelt his name. But I agree, it still wouldn't solve any disputes. Mostly because almost no one spells his name that way and don't like it even though Toriyama spells it that way.

And "Kulilin" works just as well (or just as poorly) as "Kuririn" at bringing out the pun. Really, his name should be spelt "Kurilin" because it's a combination of "Kuri" and "Shaolin", but I've NEVER seen anyone use that spelling.
Toriyama has wrote both "Son Goku" and "Son Gokuh" on various drawings. I don't think he wrote any other variants.
Toriyama can't be trusted for spellings since... well, he didn't care...

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu May 28, 2009 10:40 am

DemonRin wrote:Toriyama can't be trusted for spellings since... well, he didn't care...
Red Ribon. :lol:
Also, he's Japanese, what does he care about English spellings?

I'm digging that whole "Kurilin" name thing right now, it seems right.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu May 28, 2009 3:48 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Also, he's Japanese, what does he care about English spellings?
Yeah...Japanese people never write things out in alphabet letters...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Fri May 29, 2009 12:43 am

I think that in the next episode, the eyecatcher will change :D

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri May 29, 2009 10:09 am

Jurik wrote:I think that in the next episode, the eyecatcher will change :D
Okay, I've been meaning to ask this for a while now, but I've noticed recently that people have been using the term "eyecatcher". I've been involved with anime since the mid-90's and the term has always been "eyecatch". It has been only within the last 6 months that I've really started to see this other term being used. Does anyone know where it came from or why people are using it all of a sudden? I guess it's something that just annoys me more than anything else, especially considering it's a term used in Japanese (アイキャッチ; aikyatchi; eyecatch). But yes, I have a feeling that the eyecatch is going to change as well.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri May 29, 2009 10:17 am

Even if the eyecatchers don't change, at least Kai has less fillers then Z.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 am

I hate you and your fillers. :P
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri May 29, 2009 10:48 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: And "Kulilin" works just as well (or just as poorly) as "Kuririn" at bringing out the pun. Really, his name should be spelt "Kurilin" because it's a combination of "Kuri" and "Shaolin", but I've NEVER seen anyone use that spelling.
The French version of Dragon Ball Z: Buyu Retsuden for Mega Drive (aka "Dragon Ball Z: L'Appel du Destin") uses "Kurilin".

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri May 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Hujio wrote:
Jurik wrote:I think that in the next episode, the eyecatcher will change :D
Okay, I've been meaning to ask this for a while now, but I've noticed recently that people have been using the term "eyecatcher". I've been involved with anime since the mid-90's and the term has always been "eyecatch". It has been only within the last 6 months that I've really started to see this other term being used. Does anyone know where it came from or why people are using it all of a sudden? I guess it's something that just annoys me more than anything else, especially considering it's a term used in Japanese (アイキャッチ; aikyatchi; eyecatch). But yes, I have a feeling that the eyecatch is going to change as well.
I dunno where it came from, but I first started seeing the term here as this is the only fandom I know that gives a damn about them. "Eyecatcher" makes a bit more sense in English than "eyecatch" does. That's probably why people started mistakenly using the other term.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat May 30, 2009 2:22 am

I've been calling them "eyecatchers" for the past six or seven years. ^^; I probably picked up the term from some back-in-the-day website; there's no way I would've just randomly started calling them that.
I've never heard of them being referred to as simply "eyecatch". Either way; I still hope we get a new set of them for the next episode. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!