Episode #0184 (26 July 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0184 (26 July 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:47 am

Episode #0184 (download MP3) (rss feed)
89:12; 64 kbps, mono; 40.8 MB

Episode #0184! VegettoEX and Meri bring on Heath (Kanzentai) and Marc (The Fanboy Review) to discuss FUNimation's announcement of "Dragon Ball Z" Dragon Box sets for North America. How did we get to this point, how will the releases compare to their Japanese counterparts, and what can we expect in the future? It's a special episode dedicated entirely to the most comprehensive history lesson and speculation you can imagine! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the interesting *one-hundred-eighty-four* episodes, now.

With regards to the podcast episode and the feature page, an extra thanks goes out to everyone here for their forum contributions. Whether it's asking a simple question, or the crazy image mock-ups... I've shamelessly stolen your hard work and incorporated it into my own. You'll all be a part of me some day. You just don't realize it yet! I'd say "resistance is futile", but I don't really know anything about the series that quote comes from, so I don't have much cred for saying it :P.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:55 am

God, I've missed you guys! Gonna check it out once I finish this project I'm working on.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:33 am

Good to see you guys are back! Words cannot express how much I've been looking forward to this one! Downloading now!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:43 am

For the feature, you should have used the Dragon Box cover that I re-did, replacing it with the one I made before I went crazy with filtering since it looks closer to Kanentai's image:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7876/dboxcover.png

But I guess it's too late for that :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:25 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'd say "resistance is futile", but I don't really know anything about the series that quote comes from, so I don't have much cred for saying it. :razz:
The Borg absorb the cultural and technological distinctiveness of thousands of species through forced assimilation, so resistance is futile works just fine for you. You will indeed assimilate us all and force us to work for the greater good of DaizenshuuEX. :shock:

Listening to the Podcast now. :D

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Cool, just downloaded it, watching it now.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:46 pm

It's been a while since I've listened to the podcast. Can't wait to hear it.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Wll, I've finished the podcast, and it's great to get some insight from the 3 guys with the most authority on Dragon Ball, DVDs and Dragon Boxes on the forum. I'm more excited for this release now, I want summer to end already so I can buy it.

Though that's just my excitement talking, really I don't even have £1 on me, I need time to prepare, but the announcement came at the right time, or rather the release date given since I'll be in college and getting £30 a week EMA.

Hujio said he'll get them, if so, I'd love to see a photograph of the American volume 1 release next to the original monoliths.

It's the end of an era! One all of Dragon Ball is out in Dragon Boxes, The next best thing could only be a Bluray release in 5+ years with a completely new dub cast and crew.

I guess I'd rather have them focusing on better things after this, like maybe Kai, maybe the 2008 Jump special, or maybe new anime altogether, I know they're doing quite a lot now but there could be so much more.

I'd love for Funimation to get Fist of the North Star and release that in similar boxes to the Japanese ones, or other Toei or Jump things that we thought we'd never see, or even Lupin the Third, It'd be amazing for them to get the entire series for a release.

The podcast ending with Rock the Dragon was quite ironic...

And thanks for making use of my DBox Z logo vector! :D
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Commenting as I'm listening. Even with the impending Dragon Box release, I think that a Blu-ray release of the Orange Brick footage is possible. Not that any of us want it, but still.

Also, I agree with the notion that the new special will be out the moment FUNimation has it. There won't be any waiting, because they can maximize profits on it with "NEW!!" and then rerelease it a second time if they need to somehow sync it with their inevitable rerererelease of the rest of the series and/or movies later on.

~Da Lemmy

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Commenting as I'm listening. Even with the impending Dragon Box release, I think that a Blu-ray release of the Orange Brick footage is possible. Not that any of us want it, but still.
None of us may want it, but we've all seen the comments over YouTube and... other sites... these fans neeeeed it in HD, 16:9, with Falconers score, and there's really no harm now that they're catering to both sides, they could do the Blu-ray season sets for dubbies then Kai Blu-ray catered towards subbies.

It'd just make them more money.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:37 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:The podcast ending with Rock the Dragon was quite ironic...
Huh, that was Rock the Dragon? I guess I've never heard it before.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:39 pm

Never?

That . . . is amazing.

~Da Lemmy

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Well... the end titles version of rock the dragon.

You've never heard it before?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Aww, no mention of wondering how they're going to handle episode titles on the scene selection screen? Or in the booklets...or even Japanese names/terms?

Otherwise, bloody fantastic. Loved listening to it.

wannywan
Beyond Newbie

Post by wannywan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Just thought I'd mention, the 'Download the show now' link on the home page directs to a download link for episode #183.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPpkxkjpPg]Picto-hame-ha![/url]

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:48 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Aww, no mention of wondering how they're going to handle episode titles on the scene selection screen? Or in the booklets...or even Japanese names/terms?
Yeah, we sort of ran out of time to cover everything... Oh well, there's always next time. ;)

Here's a size comparison for anyone that's not quite sure how big the Dragon Boxes are. Just be sure to note that FUNi's Dragon Boxes will be the same size as their GT DVD since they're "shrinking them down".
Image Image

While I'm at it, I might as well throw in some more shameless plugging, though I did mention it on the podcast. Dragon Box scans are up on Kanzentai!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to packing... fun times.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:18 pm

That podcast was really great, I would love to have Rock the Dragon on the FUNi Dragon Box.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Never?

That . . . is amazing.
If I ever did, then I must have forgotten it. I thought Rock the Dragon was whatever song played during the ending credits during the show's Toonami run of the Cell/Boo stuff (and if it is, then I've apparently completely misremembered what that song sounded like).

Anyway, great episode, but it could've used more Corey. That whatshisface guy from Kazetai just isn't the same :p.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Herms wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Never?

That . . . is amazing.
If I ever did, then I must have forgotten it. I thought Rock the Dragon was whatever song played during the ending credits during the show's Toonami run of the Cell/Boo stuff (and if it is, then I've apparently completely misremembered what that song sounded like).

Anyway, great episode, but it could've used more Corey. That whatshisface guy from Kazetai just isn't the same :p.
What you're thinking of is Bruce Faulconer's DBZ theme. This is Rock The Dragon.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:26 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We have to put our money where our fucking mouth is.
Damn Mike, I didn't know you could sound so badass, sent shivvers down my spine. :p