Episode #0187 (16 August 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0187 (16 August 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Episode #0187 (download MP3) (rss feed)
87:02 ; 64 kbps, mono; 39.8 MB

Episode #0187! VegettoEX and Meri split up the episode's recording and bring on all sorts of guests to discuss things. Hujio stops by to recap the week's news, while KaiserNeko pops in to give us an update regarding the Toei and YouTube mass-takedown. Finally, Jeff joins us to finally review the Bardock DBZ TV special after seeing it for the first time. Does it hold up nearly 20 years later, and particularly to someone mostly familiar with only the manga? August's releases, your e-mails, and other great stuff rounds out the episode! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the interesting *one-hundred-eighty-seven* episodes, now.

Yikes. So much stuff to do in conjunction with this episode...

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:03 pm

I believe the double features are coming out like so because the cases for their double features are no longer being made, as I understand.

Still, ten bucks a pop MSRP, subtract a few for bucks at stores like W-M and BB, and these are actually pretty cheap.

Now I can get Movie Two remastered for cheap!!
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:15 am

Gotta love the Bardock special. Of course, my favourite scene is the same as you guys. The delivery is absolutely beautiful, Freeza's words just give me goosebumps every time.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:21 am

It's "Tah-mull", not "Ta-meal".

And they would have half of the movie on one VCD and the second half on the other. Deltamac normally has the movie pan and scanned for the VCD, it'd typically be in English with Chinese subtitles.
The world is your's.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:24 am

Great episode! I especially resonated with the comment that people coming from the manga to the anime or vice versa are coming from completely different mindsets.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:27 am

Still listening to the episode, but just as a quick reminder, the King Vegeta stuff is RIGHT before Freeza makes his first transformation. I remember specifically because that was on the first VHS tape I bought when FUNi started releasing the Ginyu and Freeza saga installments. So if you wanna show Jeff those episodes hopefully that'll give ya a good idea where they are.

Keep it up :O

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:39 pm

Why was Hujio's segment repeated again at the end?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:45 pm

Herms wrote:Why was Hujio's segment repeated again at the end?
Listen more carefully... it wasn't "repeated" as-is. It was actually a little insert I had recorded a day or so prior with him about *just* the DBZ movies 1 & 2 listings, but then so much other news came out that when it came time to record the full segment, I decided we'd just record the whole thing anew together.

I had already edited that older bit, though, so I tossed it at the end just so it didn't completely go to waste :P. I think we covered everything we wanted to when we re-recorded it, though.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:09 am

Still listening to it as I type this. It's weird; I think the Bardock special really stands out as an interesting story with significant events, but I really couldn't get into it. Maybe it was because I spent the whole time feeling like it was a countdown to Bardock being killed. It wasn't that it was depressing, it was that the whole thing, to me, felt horribly predetermined and more like an incredibly long flashback than a story in its own right, set in the past. I hope that makes sense - it's like a character in a film set in the modern day having a flashback to the 60s as opposed to a film entirely set in the 60s. Funnily enough, that's actually how it ended up being used in Kai, pretty much.

It has a lot of things I liked seeing:
  • The young Vegeta (and young(er) Nappa)
    Vegeta's dad
    Frieza lording it up rather than just prowling around looking for Dragon Balls or getting pissed off (as you mainly see him on Namek)
    A female Saiyajin
    The Saiyajins doing missions (like a less silly version of the filler of Nappa and Vegeta on the insect planet)
    It establishes how long Frieza and his henchman have been together (they're not just random goons)
    Pretty much the closest DB has got to political manoeuvring or intrigue
And more, probably... But it just didn't gel for me. I think one thing is that it just felt silly having Bardock look exactly the same as Goku, even with the same VA. Maybe if I'd seen all the DB stuff in order it wouldn't have been so bad, but since I saw it all mashed up, I'd seen Kid Goku, Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock and Goku-made-young in GT - oh, and Turles - all who look the same (Gohan aside) and all who have the same voice. A rehash of a rehash of a rehash of a rehash... At the very least, Goku would have influenced Gohan but he wasn't there for Goten (and besides, Goku was only that "silly" due to hitting his head - what's Goten's excuse?) and there's no reason Turles would look the same or sound the same. Radditz, Goku's own brother, looks and sounds nothing like any of the Masako-voiced people... It's all over the place and since I saw the Bardock special after pretty much everything else, it just really fell flat in that regard.

It would have worked better if it lasted longer (as was said in the podcast) because then they could build up the Saiyajins more, particularly Bardock's team, so it would feel more potent when they die and when Bardock turns on Frieza. Instead we have a Goku clone and a few Redcoats. I agree with what Jeff seemed to be saying, that Vegeta really stands out in it and it's actually him that makes it interesting. It would have greatly benefited f it had focused more on Vegeta, had Bardock be an original character design, actually mentioned Radditz, developed the Saiyajins more and, come to think of it, distanced itself from the Namek saga more - it felt too much like a retreading but with the twist that Goku-Bardock dies rather than goes SSJ.

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:05 pm

^I've always looked at Tullece as (Goku if he never hit his head and was never found by Son Gohan), and y'know what? That's exactly what he is.
The thing regarding Nozawa voicing all the characters that she did, I think, added a feeling of continuity, and was a way better touch than the different voice actors who voiced kid Gohan, adult Gohan and even Goten.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:08 pm

Finally caught up on the three podcasts I missed on vacation. It's amazing how much can happen in the Dragon Ball world in only three weeks....

I love the Bardock special. It shows a somewhat darker side to Dragon Ball which, like Akira Toriyama said, is a story he would never tell. I've always been a fan of darker, emotional, dramatic anime that don't show the typical over-exaggerated reactions and such that you see in most anime. It makes it stand out from the rest of the series.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Great episode, guys!

I just downloaded 100 episodes of the podcast to get a refresher :D.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:31 pm

I feel so young here. Meri was talking about how she was nine when the Bardock special first aired, and I wouldn't be born for five years..... :shock:

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:45 pm

jda95 wrote:I feel so young here. Meri was talking about how she was nine when the Bardock special first aired, and I wouldn't be born for five years..... :shock:
6 for me. :€