Backstories as seperate volumes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Backstories as seperate volumes?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Now, in Dragon Ball, there are some characters' backstories that are not really looked deep into. This is probably because Toriyama felt there wasn't any space in the story for him to put it into.

So, I was wondering...maybe, for backstories of characters or stories, they could have them as seperate manga volumes. Like the "Trunks: The Story" chapter at the end of DBZ Volume 17, only expanded upon in full detail.

Thoughts?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Backstories as seperate volumes?

Post by SaiyaMel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Yes, that would be awesome! Doesn't seem too likely to happen... but who knows..
Just Saiyan...

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:51 pm

This is a bit of an interesting question for me, as I would absolutely love to get really deep into the personalities of Lunch, Tenshinhan, Chaotzu, Freeza, and especially Pilaf. Really, anything to get away from the all Saiyan hour that the series became in the the last parts of Z. However, I don't think this would work well as a Toriyama story. His style works much better when it isn't trying to be serious or realistic. Perhaps this would work as a spinoff where another creator takes on a character that they like from a predetermined list?
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:00 pm

I'd like to see someone do manga adaptions of the movies and TV specials in the way there was a manga adaption of the JSAT Special, but I really wouldn't want too much introspective character-developing stuff that would make Dragonball feel more like Naruto or Vagabond where it's all about personality and the actual plot is just there for context. Not that I don't like Naruto or Vagabond (I love Vagabond!), but it just doesn't feel like a Dragonball thing. It'd be like putting romance in Dragonball.

I wouldn't mind random side-story solo adventures, though! "Yamcha's Baseball Brawl Filler Extravaganza" sounds like it'd be a fun, goofy thing to read!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:This is a bit of an interesting question for me, as I would absolutely love to get really deep into the personalities of Lunch, Tenshinhan, Chaotzu, Freeza, and especially Pilaf. Really, anything to get away from the all Saiyan hour that the series became in the the last parts of Z. However, I don't think this would work well as a Toriyama story. His style works much better when it isn't trying to be serious or realistic. Perhaps this would work as a spinoff where another creator takes on a character that they like from a predetermined list?
I can't really imagine getting real deep into characters that are only there for comic relief like Pilaf, Shuu, Puar and Oolong, ect.. But maybe some "tidbits" on them.
Just Saiyan...

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Kendamu wrote:I really wouldn't want too much introspective character-developing stuff that would make Dragonball feel more like Naruto or Vagabond where it's all about personality and the actual plot is just there for context. Not that I don't like Naruto or Vagabond (I love Vagabond!), but it just doesn't feel like a Dragonball thing. It'd be like putting romance in Dragonball.
Yeah, if backstories were included as seperate volumes, I wouldn't want too much introspective character development stuff too. Just backstories that explains their history. Like, with Piccolo/Kami-Sama's backstory, it could feature the cataclysm on Planet Namek, Kami-Sama's adventures on Earth, then him becoming God of Earth at the end.

I'm not so sure whether I would want a backstory volume on Freeza, though. There's not much you could say about him. Granted, that's the same for other characters, but at least with a character like Lunch, we can make a backstory as to how her blonde self got drawn into thieving, something like that. If Toriyama did a backstory saying how Freeza built up his intergalactic empire, it might end up being too boring for Shonen.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Backstories as separate issues would be neat. In fact, they are.

http://desirecampbell.com/project/dbzsidestories/

Mike and Herms talked about it a year and a half ago: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =13&t=8253

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:06 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Backstories as separate issues would be neat. In fact, they are.

http://desirecampbell.com/project/dbzsidestories/

Mike and Herms talked about it a year and a half ago: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =13&t=8253
Yeah, but those aren't really expanded upon that much. They would need to be longer than that. I'm not asking for something ridiculously in-depth or anything like that, but more so it feels like a proper story.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Eh, I'm not sure I'd like too many backstory exposition stories. That's how you get bizarreness like Tenshinhan being a descendant of the Three-Eyed Tribe and crap like that. I'd much rather just see some of the more neglected characters have their own adventures expounded upon. If history and character can be a part of those stories, then that's fine, but doing backstory for backstory's sake... gets you the Star Wars prequels, and we don't need any more of that crap.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:42 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:
IncompetentOverlord wrote:This is a bit of an interesting question for me, as I would absolutely love to get really deep into the personalities of Lunch, Tenshinhan, Chaotzu, Freeza, and especially Pilaf. Really, anything to get away from the all Saiyan hour that the series became in the the last parts of Z. However, I don't think this would work well as a Toriyama story. His style works much better when it isn't trying to be serious or realistic. Perhaps this would work as a spinoff where another creator takes on a character that they like from a predetermined list?
I can't really imagine getting real deep into characters that are only there for comic relief like Pilaf, Shuu, Puar and Oolong, ect.. But maybe some "tidbits" on them.
Well, Toriyama is kind of done with them. The gag period for those characters ended when Toriyama dumped them. Therefore I see no problem with a more dramatic and personal author picking up those stories and running with them. You know, like the Bardock special, only with manga characters.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:40 pm

While were on the subject of adapting Dragon Ball stories into Manga volumes, I think Dragon Ball GT should be adapted except with stupid things cut out of it like the Super 17 arc and Gohan going Super Saiyan.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I think Dragon Ball GT should be adapted except with stupid things cut out of it like ... Gohan going Super Saiyan.
Oh, Jesus Christ...

I'm not sure how much backstory you can give a lot of the characters that would be too terribly interesting. Nobody likes Kuririn? Yamcha and Puar shoot the shit over a cup of tea? Vegeta kills a family at age 11?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:17 am

What? Gohan going Super Saiyan was a direct contradiction of the "mystic" power up he obtained in Z.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:18 am

Backstories would be nice, but I want the Satan and Buu gag manga Toriyama said would be the only thing he'd do if he did any more Dragonball manga stories. XD Especially if he has them move to Penguin Village for the series~
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:39 pm

I'd prefer it if they did a joint Manga and Anime back story. I mean have them as separate Manga's that are cannon BUT Do new animated movies around them, Toy's around them, A video game perhaps too.

My idea for title of new brand would be "Dragonball Origins" (I know there was a game called that but still.) Here is the kind of thing I had in mind :

Dragonball Origins : The Proud Prince (Vegeta's story)
Dragonball Origins : Tyrant of Terror (Frieza's story)
Dragonball Origins : We need a Champion (Mr Satan's Story)
Dragonball Origins : Vegeta the father of Vegeta (okay that name was for laughs but a King Vegeta story like the bardock one)
Dragonball Origins : He came from space! (A deeper look at baby Goku landing on earth and Gohan trying to teach him and raise him)

While some or all of those may not be what want to see it's an idea. It gives us new films and new Manga but also looks at stuff that's not been explored as well as it could. While the other one of Mr Satan's Story can be a goofy funny story of him winning the championship and becoming earth's champion.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:28 am

I'd love to see a history of Yamcha. We barely know ANYTHING about him before he ran into Goku.
Trunks & Goten forever