What If an Episode of Z Kai Was the Jump Special?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What If an Episode of Z Kai Was the Jump Special?

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:09 pm

If FUNimation ever obtained the rights to the Jump special, do you think it would be a good idea to make it an episode of Dragon Ball Z Kai? I would love to see them make it an actual part of the series. What do you think?
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Re: What If an Episode of Z Kai Was the Jump Special?

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:50 pm

I would hate it :evil:. It' a DRAGON BALL thing. Not Kai.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:24 pm

True, but it does take place in a Dragon Ball Z era. Since FUNimation is changing Kai's name, who's to say they won't the change the name of the special, too...?
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:44 pm

I'd rather they just release it as its own thing like they did in Japan. Then maybe more than three people outside of Japan would have it on DVD.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Kendamu wrote:Then maybe more than three people outside of Japan would have it on DVD.
Well let's see... I have the DVD, Jake has it too, so does Corey, and supposedly Mike... So there's at least four, which is more than three! :P

But I do know there some others out there that have it because they've posted it in the recent merchandise thread. Anyway, I think it'd be a really stupid move on FUNi's part. Although, that's assuming they'll even get it from Toei, which I personally doubt they will. I have a feeling it will end up falling into the OVA category, and never see a release outside of Japan.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Hujio wrote:Well let's see... I have the DVD, Jake has it too, so does Corey, and supposedly Mike... So there's at least four, which is more than three! :P
Nice try, but everyone knows you and Mike are actually one and the same!
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Hujio wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Then maybe more than three people outside of Japan would have it on DVD.
Well let's see... I have the DVD, Jake has it too, so does Corey, and supposedly Mike... So there's at least four, which is more than three! :P

But I do know there some others out there that have it because they've posted it in the recent merchandise thread. Anyway, I think it'd be a really stupid move on FUNi's part. Although, that's assuming they'll even get it from Toei, which I personally doubt they will. I have a feeling it will end up falling into the OVA category, and never see a release outside of Japan.
Okay. With my copy that makes five!

I'm pretty sure FUNi wants the Jump Special. They just haven't gotten it yet or they just haven't dubbed it yet because of Kai.
(they/she)

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Toei has a lot of respect for Dragon Ball Z and don't take ever attempt to milk it like funimation does which is why they will do something like limit the release of the jump special. It would be a blue day in Hawaii that funimation releases a dragon ball product as a limited item.
FOREVER FORNEVER

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:42 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:I would hate it :evil:
I agree

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:22 pm

DbzFanboy wrote:Toei has a lot of respect for Dragon Ball Z and don't take ever attempt to milk it like funimation does which is why they will do something like limit the release of the jump special. It would be a blue day in Hawaii that funimation releases a dragon ball product as a limited item.
They probably limited it to create demand and to get people to buy the issues of Jump that had the order forms in them.

FUNimation isn't as much of a DBZ-milking machine as people think. They released the singles when singles were the norm for DVDs and they switched to Season Sets when those started to become the norm for DVDs. The only reason the DBox exists is because of fan demand and the only reason Kai is coming out right now is because of fan demand.

If it weren't for fan demand, the Bricks would've been the end of it unless they were gonna release 'em on BD.
(they/she)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:41 pm

But it's exactly opposite. Funimation actually does better job with offering you to get your copy and product with ease and for not that much money. But in Japan, land of marketing freaks and workoholics, they will make it limited, for you to freak out and hurry hurry hurry to order one copy at last and get it for a lot more money then you will get it in US. Japanese media are quite expensive. If you have limited edition of 300 copies, they'll sell better and faster then 4000 copies with no extra stuff with possible re-issue in future. It's pretty idiotic market strategy. I missed lot of stuff because of waiting for the date when I'm going to get the payment for my work. Buying things like DVD sets is a matter of time in these days, since I'm not sponsored by parents but got to paying for lot of things)))
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:21 am

Hujio wrote:

I bought 2, 1 for me and 1 for a friend. So... that's six :P

To be honest I think FUNi will release it as the last episode of Z kai.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:24 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
Hujio wrote:

I bought 2, 1 for me and 1 for a friend. So... that's six :P

To be honest I think FUNi will release it as the last episode of Z kai.
Seven. You missed my other post.

And, I hope that FUNi releases the special on its own and not as a Kai episode. Even if they branded it as the "Dragonball Z Kai Special" or something dumb like that, I'd rather it be sold as a special rather than an "episode."
(they/she)

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:05 am

I wonder when funimation finally releases this if the new replacements in kai will be voicing the characters in this special.
FOREVER FORNEVER

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:29 am

I wouldn't doubt it. It's not like they ever went back to the previous cast when making anything new after the second half of the Freeza arc started on Toonami.
(they/she)

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:36 am

True but then again funimations situation was a lot different back then. They were just starting out so they didn't have much money and the previous cast was based in canada so it made it more difficult. Nowadays funimation is a very wealthy company and if they truly wanted stephanie nadolny and the other actors back they can have them
FOREVER FORNEVER

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:40 am

Well, how is Kai any different? It's the same FUNimation you're talking about. If they have the power to get those actors back for the Jump Special, then surely they could get them back for Kai if they really wanted. So, yeah, either they don't want them, or they're not able to get them. So I agree that if they do the Jump special, it'll either be with the current Kai cast or however their casting abilities will have shifted in the future.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:36 am

You know what would be amazing? If they hired Andrea Romano to do the casting. I'm sick of hearing the same 8 actors do impersonations of themselves for every single anime dub out there.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:13 pm

DbzFanboy wrote:True but then again funimations situation was a lot different back then. They were just starting out so they didn't have much money and the previous cast was based in canada so it made it more difficult. Nowadays funimation is a very wealthy company and if they truly wanted stephanie nadolny and the other actors back they can have them
Back then, they knew the sheer amount of demand there was for more Dragonball Z. They knew it was gonna sell. Afterthe tapes hit shelves, Gen Fukanaga suddenly had "more money than I know what to do with!" He just wanted to cut corners and add a few extra pennies to that pile of money DBZ printed for him.

If FUNimation actually needed to change casts back then and wasn't a super popular thing that was guaranteed to make some cash, it wouldn't have irked me so much back then.
(they/she)

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Kendamu wrote:
DbzFanboy wrote:True but then again funimations situation was a lot different back then. They were just starting out so they didn't have much money and the previous cast was based in canada so it made it more difficult. Nowadays funimation is a very wealthy company and if they truly wanted stephanie nadolny and the other actors back they can have them
Back then, they knew the sheer amount of demand there was for more Dragonball Z. They knew it was gonna sell. Afterthe tapes hit shelves, Gen Fukanaga suddenly had "more money than I know what to do with!" He just wanted to cut corners and add a few extra pennies to that pile of money DBZ printed for him.

If FUNimation actually needed to change casts back then and wasn't a super popular thing that was guaranteed to make some cash, it wouldn't have irked me so much back then.
lol I understand what you mean. I just realized that the only one in the jump special who would be speaking that has a cast change (if i'm correct) is bulma. I dont believe puar speaks, gohan is grown so stephanie wont be voicing him and Chautzu isn't in it. So who knows what funimation will decide when the time comes.
FOREVER FORNEVER