Is the Dragon Ball Earth scale to ours?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Is the Dragon Ball Earth scale to ours?

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Seems really small.

Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Is the Dragon Ball Earth scale to ours?

Post by Herms » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 am

There's no official word on the subject. In one of the tankoubon Q&As Toriyama gives the distance Nyoibo stretched when Goku went to the moon as the same as the real world distance between the Earth and moon, so...you could maybe use that to say the Earth itself is likewise on a real world scale. I guess.

The distance between Satan City and the Son house is given in the series as 1,000 km, so you could use that to calculate the scale of the Earth based on the daizenshuu map of DB Earth. There's also a stated distance between RR headquarters and Karin Tower, Goku's android arc spaceship landing spot and Kame House, and probably some other places. They probably weren't putting that much thought into the map though.

I would assume the map isn't really meant to be too much to scale. There aren't too many places in the series, so that's probably the main reason DB Earth looks so small. Not to mention you can actually see places like Mt. Frypan or Boo's house, so obviously those parts at least aren't to scale.

(We really need to make a Kanzenshuu version of that map. I'm tired of seeing that scanslation with it's "Jingeru Village" and "Shoot-out with Vejita". And what the heck's the deal with "Yajirobe meets up with Buruma"?)
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 am

That's an interesting version of the map. It seems to stray a little from others I've seen... agh... that kind of annoys me, that there are plenty of maps with slight differences and as far as I know there's no telling which is the closest to being correct.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 am

Saiga wrote:that kind of annoys me, that there are plenty of maps with slight differences and as far as I know there's no telling which is the closest to being correct.
I translated the map and the entire "Field" section in Daizenshuu 4 that it's a part of, back at Kanzentai. Another thing lost in the transition to Kanzenshuu. I could post the text up here if you want though.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 am

To quote myself:
Bussani wrote:I think the closest thing we have to work with is that we're told the distance between the Red Ribbon Army headquarters and Karin's tower, which is 2,300 kilometers. They're both on the map, so we should be able to use that to work out a scale. Then it's just a question of whether the map accounts for the entirety of the world's surface, or if there's something akin to the Pacific ocean opposite what we can see.

Well, this is interesting... If we take the number above and compare it to the map, then compare that to how big the entire map is, the distance from one side of the map to the other, horizontally, should be about 40,000 kilometers. That's actually the size (or rather, circumference) of the Earth we live on! Intentional, or coincidence?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:00 am

Herms wrote:
Saiga wrote:that kind of annoys me, that there are plenty of maps with slight differences and as far as I know there's no telling which is the closest to being correct.
I translated the map and the entire "Field" section in Daizenshuu 4 that it's a part of, back at Kanzentai. Another thing lost in the transition to Kanzenshuu. I could post the text up here if you want though.
If that wouldn't be too much hassle, I'd appreciate it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 am

Herms wrote:
That's not necessary.

http://web.archive.org/web/201111040720 ... earth#link
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:32 am

There's a map in Attack of the Saiyans, I think it's pretty neat. I've always thought that the DragonBall map was just our Earth minus Africa and half of North-America, I mean Russia is clearly there, and so are the Nordic Samis, I think Snow is one. Goku's house is in the East, so we can assume that place is supposedly a combination Asia.

http://spriters-resource.com/ds/dbkai/worldmap.png
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:23 am

Interesting. So is the Daizenshuu 4 map meant to be the most accurate one we have, or what?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:38 am

If it's supposed to be the same size compared to rl Earth, but there's no Atlantic Ocean with it all being together, then Dragon World's version of the Pacific Ocean must be huge!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am

Saiga wrote:Interesting. So is the Daizenshuu 4 map meant to be the most accurate one we have, or what?
Well, "accurate" is a bit of a fuzzy term here. Obviously Toriyama didn't have that map in mind when making the series (or any other map, for that matter). But it does incorporate many bits of geographic information given throughout the series, like Karin Tower being north-west of Red Ribbon headquarters, Goku's house being in the eastern part of the world, Kame-sennin's island being to the south of where Bulma met Goku, and Mount Frypan being west from there. West City is in the west, South City the south, Jingle Village and chilly Yunzabit Highlands both far up north. Etc, etc. There's not nearly enough information in the series to make a detailed map though, so they had to just guess with lots of things, and you could make an alternative map different from the Daizenshuu 4 one that fits the series just as well.

Still, the Daizenshuu 4 map has been consistently used since its introduction. It's been frequently reprinted in later guides, and has been used as the basis for the world maps in almost all of the subsequent DB games to feature them. The map in Attack of the Saiyans that Gokuden posted is exactly the same, though it does include several anime-only locations not featured in the solely manga-based Daizenshuu 4 version. Legacy of Goku II and Buu's Fury also have world maps simply copied from the Daizenshuu 4 one, but with added game-only locations. The world maps in the DBZ/Budokai and Sparking!/Budokai Tenkaichi games are also clearly based on it, though they change it around a bit. The DB Online map is the same way. Advance Adventure is relatively unique in being a post-Daizenshuu 4 game with a completely different world map (one based directly off the progression of game stages, so that the pirate caves are right by Muscle Tower, rather than Kame House).

With Chouzenshuu 1 coming up and set to be an updated reprint of Daizenshuu 2 and 4, it will be interesting to see if it has a world map that's updated in any way.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:43 am

Ah, I see. I thought with so many maps with a similar design, that they had to be based on something from Toriyama to be so widespread. But if this is the original map that popularized the shape, and is from the manga based guidebook, I'll accept that as my map of choice.