Episode #0327 (17 March 2013)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0327 (17 March 2013)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Episode #0327 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
72:57; 96 kbps, mono; 50.3 MB

Episode #0327! VegettoEX, Hujio, and Julian dive head-first into "Battle of Gods" and do the math in ways that perhaps even the movie's producers could not do: in which Age would this movie take place along the main timeline? Those wishing to avoid spoilers for a little while longer can still tune in for our early impressions on "Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission" for the Japanese Nintendo 3DS with Herms! Referenced sites:
Robo-Julian makes a brief (non-singing) appearance this episode, and unfortunately right as he starts cranking out the Japanese. We promptly killed him off and resurrected Human-Julian. Also, be sure to thank Jake for his services in outer space.

Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0327 (17 March 2013)

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Nothing like a Kanzenshuu podcast to make a shitty day less shittier! 8)

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:28 am

Wait...you guys have already recieved the full movie summary from Kei17? :o Ican'twaitIcan'twaitIcan'twaitIcan'twaitIcan'twait! :lol:

Fascinating episode guys! Never thought Mike would be doing math in relation to Dragon Ball. :lol:

Man, the build-up for this film has been fun but to be honest the constant news is getting a little tiresome. Ready for this thing to come out now!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 am

I actually got a big laugh out of the little part talking about naming characters in games after friends. I do that all the time. :lol: Usually just by the nicknames we have that fit better with games though.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 pm

I think we're looking at a retcon here, folks. We're going to have to wait for the next guidebook to come out to see, though, but it makes the most sense to me.
Last edited by Lance Freeman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:09 pm

I think that, all things considered, when potential contradictions like this arise, then the best thing to use as a "tie-breaker" is whatever fits best with the manga. In this case, Pan's birth year would take precedence over anything else. The manga itself clearly tells us that its epilogue takes place 10 years after the battle with Boo, and that Pan is 4 years old at the time.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I actually got a big laugh out of the little part talking about naming characters in games after friends. I do that all the time. :lol: Usually just by the nicknames we have that fit better with games though.
It's even more fun when you get to design and customize the characters, as my little harem in Dragon Quest IX can attest to. 8)
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:09 am

This podcast episode alerted me to the fact that those Super Saiya-Jin french fries exist (I guess I missed it when it was posted on the main Kanzenshuu page?) and therefore made me go out and buy them right away.

It's all your fault!!!!! :P

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 am

Dogasu wrote:This podcast episode alerted me to the fact that those Super Saiya-Jin french fries exist (I guess I missed it when it was posted on the main Kanzenshuu page?) and therefore made me go out and buy them right away.

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/message_b ... _small.jpg

It's all your fault!!!!! :P
You're welcome! :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 am

Yeah the SSJ fries are hillarious. Personally, I get the biggest laugh from the Puff Puff Marshmallows :lol:

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 am

Whoever came up with that fry thing is a friggin genius.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:17 am

Not sure how we overlooked this, but apparently in BoG Bulma eventually lets slip that this is her 38th birthday party. This might be a joke, because Kuririn responds a little skeptically to the number, and going by the official timeline she should be about 45 when Pan's conceived, so 38 is way off. At the start of the manga Bulma says she's 16, and there's about 25 years between then and the Boo arc, so if BoG is "several years" after Boo then Bulma should likewise be "several years" older than 41. Due to various contradictions we could shave about 2 years off the total time between the start of the manga and the Boo arc if we wanted to, getting Bulma's age down to 39 for the Boo arc, which almost makes 38 seem reasonable until you remember BoG is supposed to be several years later. So there's no way around 38 being "several years" too short of Bulma's proper age. Like I said, this could just be a joke about Bulma lying about her age, but it's interesting that Mai's otherwise odd claim to be 41 would make sense if Bulma was 38. That would put Mai as 3 years older than Bulma, which seems to fit the early part of the series well (certainly better than Mai being 4 years younger than Bulma, as discussed on the podcast). So...maybe Watanabe and/or Toriyama and/or anyone else involved in the movie really was working off a bum timeline in which there's only about 17 or 18 years between the start of the manga and the Boo arc. This might explain Bulma and Mai's ages and Beers' 39 year nap. It might be a nuisance fitting this in to the official main DB timeline, but maybe Chouzenshuu 4 will do it for us.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Reeeally hope Bulma's lying about her age there, because if that's supposed to be true then they were really sloppy about the timeline with this movie, which would be disappointing. I mean, they're reprinting a bunch of Daizenshuu stuff for the Chouzenshuu, so you'd think someone would have access to the Daizenshuu 7 timeline, right? If Kuririn seemed skeptical, they should have given him a line like "that would make you younger than me!" to really emphasize that it's not her real age. From the time it was first revealed that Bulma was having a birthday party in the movie, I speculated that it would probably be her 45th birthday since that seemed like a significant number that she'd want to throw a big party for. The fact that Videl is pregnant with Pan means that should be the correct number, but all the other numbers being thrown around are throwing everything off :? I guess we have to hope that both Bulma and Mai are lying about their ages (but really, what's the point of lying about your age to people who've known you since you were young? They could easily tell that a number 7 years off is a blatant lie. Women! Am I right, guys? *nudge nudge* /lamesexistjoke :roll: ) I'm hoping that Herms is right and that the timeline is explained in the upcoming Chouzenshuu, because at the moment it seems like they screwed a bunch of the numbers up.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:52 pm

I do think Toriyama and Watanabe were a bit careless in handling the timeline for this movie. We've never been given an official description for what exactly they mean by 'several years after the Majin Boo arc'. Having everyone look as if they haven't aged, despite the fact that Pan is now in the oven, is a pretty clear sign that the two writers decided to do whatever the hell they wanted without thinking of how it blantantly ignores the comic.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:40 am

Ahh, the power of the retcon. "Yes, this is part of official history. We just changed official history to fit our new addition better."

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 am

The thing is, none of these contradictions really further the plot of the movie. Pan's conception is the only solid thing that would be difficult to change; everything else is just people saying numbers, and it would be just as easy for them to say numbers that fit the series timeline as not.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:42 am

Well, like you said, we're probably going to have to wait for the revised official timeline, but my money is still on a retcon on Pan's age. Either that, or there were terrible scripting mistakes that will hopefully be fixed on the DVD.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:23 pm

For my personal rationalization, I'm just going to assume that Mai, Beers, and Whis all have spotty memory, and Bulma's just lying.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Bulma's age, Mai's age, Bills' 39-year nap, and the kids' appearance all work together. The only problem is Pan's conception which comes too early, or maybe she'll be born in more than 9 months (a Saiyan thing maybe).

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:Bulma's age, Mai's age, Bills' 39-year nap, and the kids' appearance all work together. The only problem is Pan's conception which comes too early, or maybe she'll be born in more than 9 months (a Saiyan thing maybe).
Or maybe Pan has an older sibling in this new, post-Battle of Gods continuity.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:45 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:Bulma's age, Mai's age, Bills' 39-year nap, and the kids' appearance all work together. The only problem is Pan's conception which comes too early, or maybe she'll be born in more than 9 months (a Saiyan thing maybe).
I hate to repeat myself, but Bulma's age doesn't work because she should already be 41 by the start of the Boo arc. There's really no way to make 38 work with her given age of 16 at the start of the series and all the time-skips that happen throughout, unless we just say she's lying about her age.