What exactly does "Saiya" mean?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What exactly does "Saiya" mean?

Post by Dominator » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:28 pm

I've been watching the Toonami-dubbed DBZ movies (as they are currently being called), while everyone flames these for being "crap", I've noticed that this dub has improved a lot, and is a bit more accurate (using Japanese names and pronouncing Mr. Satan how his name is pronounced).

But I've noticed the Saiyans are called "Space Warriors" (despite that they use the words Saiya in some of their film titles). But what does Saiya mean? I've heard it used elsewhere (Saint Saiya). Does it mean space?
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:48 pm

If I'm not mistaking it's an anagram of the Japanese word for vegetable, but I can't remember what that word is as I don't speak Japanese :P
Who said life isn't a game?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:51 pm

In terms of DragonBall, it doesn't mean anything. It's the word ヤサイ yasai ("vegetable") with its syllables rearranged. Throw a 人 jin on the end of it, and you've got サイヤ人.

I know of no actual saiya word in Japanese.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:20 pm

I've heard it used elsewhere (Saint Saiya). Does it mean space?
Saint Seiya, actually.

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:39 pm

Note that the pronunciation of the first part of the word Saiya should be "sai" like the weapon, as opposed to "say" like Funimation's Saiyan.
"Look at these guns baybah! Peow, peow!" -Broli

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:02 pm

Note that the pronunciation of the first part of the word Saiya should be "sai" like the weapon, as opposed to "say" like Funimation's Saiyan.
You know, I have known that for about 2 years now and I still call them "Say" -ans. It is just that I was introduced to DBZ through the FUNi dub so I just go by what I heard first.
This gets a bit wierd concerning the manga though, I read the Namek saga before I saw it so I would pronounce names like Burter "Butta" and Guldo "Gurd". I must say that I prefere these names too :D
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:40 am

This is a little off topic, but has anyone else noticed that the Kannassians (the inhabitaints of planet Kannasa) look like fish-people?

And that 'kannasa' rearranged is 'sakanna', which means fish?

I've just never seen or heard it anywhere, and wondered if anyone else noticed.

Of course I might just be wrong about everything :P
Last edited by desirecampbell on Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:48 am

this is a little off topic, but has anyone else noticed that the kannassians (th inhabitaints of planet kannasa) look like fish-people?

and that kannasa rearranged is 'sakanna', which means fish?

i've just never seen or heard it anywhere, and wondered if anyone else noticed.
I never noticed that... that's cool. Usually I'm good at figuring those out (like TMNT's Mortu --> Utrom).

And note to anyone who doesn't know, "-jin" is added to the end to mean "people of", and is basically like the "-ese" in Japanese or Chinese, "-n" in American or Korean, et cetera.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:01 am

DesireCampbell wrote:this is a little off topic, but has anyone else noticed that the kannassians (th inhabitaints of planet kannasa) look like fish-people?

and that kannasa rearranged is 'sakanna', which means fish?

i've just never seen or heard it anywhere, and wondered if anyone else noticed.

of course i might just be wrong about everything :P
Yes, that's the pun.

However, please re-read the forum rules that you agreed to upon sign-up. You're expected to type properly on this forum. Thank you.
The S wrote:And note to anyone who doesn't know, "-jin" is added to the end to mean "people of", and is basically like the "-ese" in Japanese or Chinese, "-n" in American or Korean, et cetera.
jin (which depending on the context, can also be read as nin [as in 人造人間 jinzôningen] or hito) literally means "person". When appended to the name of a race, it can be thought of to somewhat infer that they are a "person of..." said race, but that's not exactly what it means. That's just the context of how it's being used, in that case. But yeah, that's pretty much an accurate way to think of it in this particular situation.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:54 am

So... I'm a Canada-jin? :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:57 am

VegettoEX wrote: ...
However, please re-read the forum rules that you agreed to upon sign-up. You're expected to type properly on this forum. Thank you.
Oops, sorry. It was 1 am, I'm usually pretty good about grammer.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:33 pm

人 jin (which depending on the context, can also be read as nin [as in 人造人間 jinzôningen] or hito) literally means "person". When appended to the name of a race, it can be thought of to somewhat infer that they are a "person of..." said race, but that's not exactly what it means. That's just the context of how it's being used, in that case. But yeah, that's pretty much an accurate way to think of it in this particular situation.
I thought that -jin looked like the kanji for hito... but my kanji is very rusty. Quick semi-related question (because of the mention of the jinzoningen)... what does the "gou" at the end of each Jinzoningen mean? The kanji looks similar to the "gou" for power, but like I said, my kanji sucks.
So... I'm a Canada-jin?
It would probably be Kanada-jin. Don't quote me on that, though. My list of peoples in Japanese language excludes Canada for some reason.

What also might be of interest to some, is -jin isn't always listed after people's countries. For example, "gaikoku" means foreign, and "gai-jin" (or, less commonly, "gaikoku-jin") means "foreigner". "Ma-jin" means demon or magical person.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:42 pm

What also might be of interest to some, is -jin isn't always listed after people's countries. For example, "gaikoku" means foreign, and "gai-jin" (or, less commonly, "gaikoku-jin") means "foreigner". "Ma-jin" means demon or magical person.
.....Wasn't "Ma" demon? I'm sure "Ma-jin" was something else entirely

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:49 pm

The S wrote:Quick semi-related question (because of the mention of the jinzoningen)... what does the "gou" at the end of each Jinzoningen mean? The kanji looks similar to the "gou" for power, but like I said, my kanji sucks.
The along with their numbers literally means the word "number", as in it's a number in a sequence of something.

人造人間18号 = jinzouningen juu-hachi gou = Artificial Human Number 18

I think I figured out which kanji you're referring to. It looks like its main reading is kyo (as used in benkyo which means "study"). It's 11 strokes, as compared to this one, which is only 5 strokes. Don't have the HTML code on hand for it, sorry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:52 pm

The S wrote:
人 jin (which depending on the context, can also be read as nin [as in 人造人間 jinzôningen] or hito) literally means "person". When appended to the name of a race, it can be thought of to somewhat infer that they are a "person of..." said race, but that's not exactly what it means. That's just the context of how it's being used, in that case. But yeah, that's pretty much an accurate way to think of it in this particular situation.
I thought that -jin looked like the kanji for hito... but my kanji is very rusty.
That's right. The -jin kanji looks very similar to the one for "hito", but they're drawn slightly different.
.....Wasn't "Ma" demon? I'm sure "Ma-jin" was something else entirely
"Ma" is simply the word for demon or demonic, yes, but "Ma-jin" would mean "demonic persons/people", which would more specifically say "demon".

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:56 pm

Jin and hito don't just look the same, they _are_ the same. Just have a different reading/pronouncation because of the usage. Something with on and kun readings, dunno the particulars, in Chinese it's always the same ^^;
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Dragon Fist

Post by Dragon Fist » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:41 pm

I know from where does the races name really come. There are islands on the south of Japan called Saiyans. I think that is the real version. What do you thinks about it?
I'm not a human. I'm a Saiyan, believe it or not!!!!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:26 pm

Dragon Fist wrote:I know from where does the races name really come. There are islands on the south of Japan called Saiyans. I think that is the real version. What do you thinks about it?
Um, I'm pretty sure 'Saiya' is just a rearanged 'yasai', but let's go to the big V on this one:
VegettoEX wrote:In terms of DragonBall, it doesn't mean anything. It's the word ヤサイ yasai ("vegetable") with its syllables rearranged. Throw a 人 jin on the end of it, and you've got サイヤ人.
I know of no actual saiya word in Japanese.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:44 pm

Dragon Fist: Just letting you know, your avatar's too large, the maximum allowed here is 80 x 80.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:08 pm

Ash wrote:Jin and hito don't just look the same, they _are_ the same. Just have a different reading/pronouncation because of the usage. Something with on and kun readings, dunno the particulars, in Chinese it's always the same ^^;
Here are the particulars. Under "readings," the capitals are the On-yomi readings (those are the Chinese pronunciations), and the lower-case ones are the Kun-yomi readings (the Japanese-specific pronunciations).

The "Ma" in "Ma-jin" can mean either magic (ie, a dark, supernatural power), or demon (ie, a dark, supernatural being), if it helps to think of it that way.