Where is THIS from? (Animation Cel)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Where is THIS from? (Animation Cel)

Post by Mosaic » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:44 pm

Here's a strange cel I came across on Yahoo Japan, can anyone tell me what episode/movie this is from? And what is going on? o__o

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:47 pm

Looks to me like Goku training himself on the Capsule ship en route to Planet Namek.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:49 pm

I saw something like this in the 7th (I think) DBZ movie where Metal Cooler trapped Goku and was draining his energy. Goku was hanging upside down after something happened to the Ghetti Star (or whatever it was called).

But there is still one thing thats bugging me. He was supposed to be Super Saiya-jin when this happened.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:54 pm

gotenx wrote:I saw something like this in the 7th (I think) DBZ movie where Metal Cooler trapped Goku and was draining his energy. Goku was hanging upside down after something happened to the Ghetti Star (or whatever it was called).

But there is still one thing thats bugging me. He was supposed to be Super Saiya-jin when this happened.
Eh...no. As EX said, it's a filler scene from his training en route to Namek.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:44 am

Yes, that's during the scene where Goku's ship goes through an asteroid field, causing the gravity level to go haywire. Goku was in the middle of hanging upside down from a rope attached to the ceiling doing weight-lifting and such when it happened, so he was stuck there because of the intense gravity. In that exact shot he's being swung around from all the turbulence.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:12 pm

This cel was first used in episode 56 (August 1, 1990), and again in the recap from episode 57 (August 8, 1990).

If you compare the above cel to the below screencap, you can see that the white coloring of Goku's eyes and teeth in the above cel is missing, and the lines that define his muscles are orange instead of black. It might be from wear, but there's also the possibility that this cel is a fake.

Here's the cel as it appeared on air:
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:05 pm

DBW wrote:If you compare the above cel to the below screencap, you can see that the white coloring of Goku's eyes and teeth in the above cel is missing, and the lines that define his muscles are orange instead of black. It might be from wear, but there's also the possibility that this cel is a fake.
Hmm. Good point, but who would fake an animation cel?

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:18 pm

There also appears to be an extra "shadow" type thing on the cell. I wonder what that is.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:20 pm

Tenka-Ichi wrote:There also appears to be an extra "shadow" type thing on the cell. I wonder what that is.
Most cels are like that. Don't know what it is but most cells have it.
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:24 pm

askani son wrote:
Tenka-Ichi wrote:There also appears to be an extra "shadow" type thing on the cell. I wonder what that is.
Damnit, this is one of those useless peices of information I used to know (before it got oushed out of my head by some other useless info). I think it's the previeous frame of animation, or something.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:27 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
askani son wrote:
Damnit, this is one of those useless peices of information I used to know (before it got oushed out of my head by some other useless info). I think it's the previeous frame of animation, or something.
Well that does make sense... it looks like it too.
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:17 pm

askani son wrote:
It's the genga "key animation" sheet. It's usually kept with the cel, it's basically the original piece of art that the cel is based off of. Hence the literal translation of the term genga 「原画」, which is "original image". It looks like a shadow in the above image, but it's really just been stuck (maybe stapled) to the cel, it doesn't really belong there, per se.

I'm gonna be doing a huge feature on the animation process for Kanzentai later on (something I've been planning for a while now). Something to look forward to for the future! :wink:

EDIT:
desirecampbell wrote:Hmm. Good point, but who would fake an animation cel?
It's pretty common to make fake copies of animation cels and genga art. It's only about $1 in materials, but they can be sold for anywhere from $20 to $500, so it's a pretty profitable scam.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com