Chou Dragonball Z on PS2: Will you buy?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Chou Dragonball Z on PS2: Will you buy?

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:50 pm

I just got done reading the update on the main page! Chou DBZ is coming out for PS2 everyone! :D I can't wait for it! Anyway, are you guys going to but Chou DBZ or not? I'm going too, if only to complete my collection until I can see more screenshots. What is the game all about anyway? I know it's a fighting game, but is it more like the Budokai games or Sparking! ?

:P I wonder what Atari will call this one...Dragonball Z Budokai Super? :lol:
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:59 pm

Atari calling it Super Budokai would make a ton of sense.

That said, my JP PS2 is always looking for more company. Especially since (even at $20), Fighting For One Piece was one of the worst games ever made :P. Not a chance that I wouldn't purchase the game. C'mon, new 2D opening theme with vocal song...!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:01 pm

Atari calling it Super Budokai would make a ton of sense.

That said, my JP PS2 is always looking for more company. Especially since (even at $20), Fighting For One Piece was one of the worst games ever made :P . Not a chance that I wouldn't purchase the game. C'mon, new 2D opening theme with vocal song...!
You get all the games when they come out in Japan, right VegettoEX? I'd have to wait till it came out here in the states. :(

I'd love a new anime opening, that's what I've been missing in a DBZ game. :)

Off-topic question: VegettoEX, do you have the American One Piece: Grand Battle game? Just wondering... :wink:

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:10 pm

DaizEX.com wrote:Chou DragonBall Z to see JP PS2 Release!
Holy freakin' crap! Holy freakin' crap! Holy freakin' crap! Holy freakin' crap!

I may just be the happiest boy in the world :D

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:10 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:You get all the games when they come out in Japan, right VegettoEX? I'd have to wait till it came out here in the states. :(
The only one I got right when it came out was Sparking! I got DBZ3 long after it came out in Japan, nevermind the American version :).
Chaos Saiyajin wrote:I'd love a new anime opening, that's what I've been missing in a DBZ game. :)
Yeah, I think Sparking! totally dropped the ball on that one.
Chaos Saiyajin wrote:Off-topic question: VegettoEX, do you have the American One Piece: Grand Battle game? Just wondering... :wink:
No way. I've got friends who have them all for JP Gamecube. The demo that came with SJ, and its horrendous English voices, was enough to convince me to never purchase a domestic OP game.

Miraculously bringing the thread back on-topic...

*I* will definitely be purchasing the game, as it looks to be slightly more bad-ass than previous games. I know a few other people here with JP and/or modded PS2s, so I know there's others that have the potential to get the game. Whatcha think, folks... purchase material? Or gonna wait and see how the arcade reviews are? Well, since the game's out in arcades this month, I guess no-one really has a choice... :P
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:29 pm

*I* will definitely be purchasing the game, as it looks to be slightly more bad-ass than previous games. I know a few other people here with JP and/or modded PS2s, so I know there's others that have the potential to get the game. Whatcha think, folks... purchase material? Or gonna wait and see how the arcade reviews are? Well, since the game's out in arcades this month, I guess no-one really has a choice...
As I said in my first post, I'm gonna buy this game even if it sucks worse than Final Bout. :lol: I'm serious... :shock: I actually can't wait! Since I already know I've got SSW2 and Budokai Tenkaichi for Chirstmas, I need something to look forward to ^_^.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the update! :D :lol:

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:22 pm

Sounds neat, can't say I am excited, but more power to ya'll who are. If it comes out in the US it's highly likely I'd get it though. And... well, if it doesn't, I'll wait and see what everyones opinions are, and then import.

After reading the front page news, I noted something. Mike, you should be careful whom you chant "big thanks" too because SplitNarcissist is the last person who deserves any sort of cheering, for any reason. He (or she) is probably one of the most airheaded individuals I've ever come across on GameFaqs, and that's saying something. This person is incapable of comprehending even simple concepts, and lacks any ability to rationalize in any way, shape, or form.
Giving any sort of cheer to this person is tantamount to darkness, and pain, and inflation of his/her already severely expanded ego. I just can't even begin to put it into words... just how lost this person is in his/her own beliefs.

My experience after having a long 4 day debate with SplitNarcissist has left me dazed, and confused, even this long after... I can't even wrap my head around the loss of logic that floats around that persons head.

Anyway, steering myself back on topic, looking at the screen shots I like how the game looks. It appears like they took sprite design from Sparking! and re-designed the backgrounds. I am really jonesing on the detail I am seeing from the backgrounds.
Whats more, having not looked at the site before, I am also enjoying the art within the whole site design; it's nice seeing fresh artwork, even if its not from Toriyama-sensei.

My interest level has increased: 2%
Resulting increase has put my current interest level at: 4%
Word associated with current interest level: Quite

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:25 pm

Eh... they're the one who sent the email, so props to them for that. I actually didn't get anything from anyone else, believe it or not. Kinda shocking. I would have found it myself, anyway, but I happened to check my email before general sites when I got home from work.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:46 pm

Anyway, steering myself back on topic, looking at the screen shots I like how the game looks. It appears like they took sprite design from Sparking! and re-designed the backgrounds. I am really jonesing on the detail I am seeing from the backgrounds.
Whats more, having not looked at the site before, I am also enjoying the art within the whole site design; it's nice seeing fresh artwork, even if its not from Toriyama-sensei.
Yeah, the backgrounds kick total ass by the screenshots I've seen. Does anyone know what all characters are in Chou? I've only seen Goku, Piccolo, and Vegeta so far. If it's an arcade fighter, I'm not expecting a large cast, although that maybe changed in the PS2 release.

BTW, lost in thought, for some reason, you avatar scares the daylights out of me... :shock:

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:08 am

VegettoEX wrote:Eh... they're the one who sent the email, so props to them for that. I actually didn't get anything from anyone else, believe it or not. Kinda shocking. I would have found it myself, anyway, but I happened to check my email before general sites when I got home from work.
Hahaha, they're. That's totally amusing.
Anyway, well, be that as it may keep what I said in mind, lest you fall into a debate with this person... my experience was more painful, confusing, and illogical than I can put into words.
Chaos Saiyajin wrote:BTW, lost in thought, for some reason, you avatar scares the daylights out of me...
Hahaha, amusing.
I hadn't intended on Kuririn to look creepy. When I drew the full version of the picture*, it was intended that he look sly -because of the context-, but I can see where you're coming from lol.

Legend*:
Full version of the picture can be seen here.
Disclaimer: Although not what you would call dirty, there is a huge, blatant suggestion that clicks the moment one looks at the image, so take caution if you don't like the suggestive concepts of Kuririn, and what 18 could give him for Christmas. :P

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:52 am

From the videos I saw, it looked terribly goofy and unimpressive. Even the transformations made me snicker, since I immediately compared them to those in DBZ3. And yes, it is from a different company, but if I remain unimpressed, there's no reason to buy it.

Like any game, I'll just wait for reviews. Regardless, I'm far less excited about this than any DBZ game that's been announced in the last few years.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:08 am

OMGOMGOMGOMG! *Prays for release*

The game looks like a 3D version of Shin Butouden, and it's been a while since we've had a normal one-on-one DBZ fighting game.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:23 am

I won't import it, but if it sees an American PS2 release, then I'll more than likely get it.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:25 am

desirecampbell wrote:

What he said! What he said! What he said!
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Mirai Trunks´s Nr. 1 fan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mirai Trunks´s Nr. 1 fan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:37 am

Xyex wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:

What he said! What he said! What he said!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ... WAAHOO!!!!!!!!! Ooh! I hope it will be released in EU!
^I´m with stupid^

How to keep a blonde occupied, see below.
How to keep a blonde occupied, see above.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:30 pm

Heck ya. This game looks like it'll be fun. A new little type of twist.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:25 pm

OMGOMGOMGOMG! *Prays for release*
I really don't see why Atari wouldn't pass up the opportunity to make more money for it's empire. With a 'Budokai' slapped on the title. :P
From the videos I saw, it looked terribly goofy and unimpressive. Even the transformations made me snicker, since I immediately compared them to those in DBZ3. And yes, it is from a different company, but if I remain unimpressed, there's no reason to buy it.

Like any game, I'll just wait for reviews. Regardless, I'm far less excited about this than any DBZ game that's been announced in the last few years.
They've got transformations? *totally disregards the things oponok wrote about the goofy looking videos* THANK GOD! :D

EDIT: After looking on the official site, I found the characters appearing in Chou DBZ so far:
Goku
Freeza
Krillin
Piccolo
Mirai Trunks
Vegeta
Cell

A whole 9! :lol: I bet this will change for the PS2 release though, we'll probably see waaaay more characters added. (Of course, arcade fighters usually don't have a big cast :p)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:57 pm

Orochi_Rockman wrote:I won't import it, but if it sees an American PS2 release, then I'll more than likely get it.
Same here, and since this is (yet another) DBZ game for the Ps2, I have just as much need to buy it as I did with Sagas. However, since this's looking to be a straight-forward arcade fighter, I'm not seeing much hope for a genuine story mode :cry: . Oh well, guess this will be #6 on the Ps2 DBZ milking franchise, here we go again.
14 years later

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:26 pm

I won't say definately, I do look into what I spend my money on more thouroughly nowadays, and until I see some reliable reviews I will consider it. I'm not looking for a 99% rating, as long as it is around the same score as Budokai 3 or Sparking I will buy it.

I hope Atari doesn't Americanize it too much, I mean by changing the BGM, or not allowing the Japanese voices as a selectable option. Apart from that the game will be fine on PAL release. That is...if they even decide to release it abroad.

I also doubt it will have 'Budokai' in it's title. I think Atari will avoid it, it is made by different people(isn't it?), and it would actually benefit for them by not using the Budokai name at all, people will think it's just another Budokai(which it isn't)and will possibly avoid purchasing it assuming that it will be just like their old games.

Ok, I know the graphics are different and the colours are light like Toriyama's water paint colours used in the manga, but most average fans who ain't as 'in-to' DBZ as we are here probably won't notice much difference, so to the point, giving the game an all new title will actually make people believe that this game differs from any Budokai game.

Super Dragonball Z is ideal for me, anyone object? Who knows, 'Tenkaichi Budokai' isn't an English word (obviously) so Atari may not give a shit and just go for the Japanese 'Chou Dragonball Z' title on the PAL release. It is possible. It's also a long shot, but it also seems that Japanese Romaji on a game box could even boost sales, or even Japanese text to go with English text, to spice up the design, you know some Katakana on the game case won't hurt, it's on the Ultimate Uncut DVD's and it makes them look wicked.

Anyway, I will wait in anticipation. The hype is what usually ruins games for me(because they are never what the game producers make them out to be, even GTA: SA got boring quick despite it's bloody over the top hyped up crap), so I won't be too eager to bash this game, I am just...patiently waiting.

I also want to add that the way the Ki attacks are handled seem like a huge step back to the SNES Hyper Dimention game(this is also another factor which makes it different from the Budokai games), now wether this is a good idea or not, I do not know, I haven't played the game myself yet, and it's always better to see for yourself, I will be specifically scanning reviews for what their views on this feature are, if they say it ruins the game then they'll probably be speaking the truth, but sometimes change is good eh? We'll have to wait and see. The most important factor is the way fighting takes place, how battle is handled, if the fighting style is better than Budokai, then who really minds playing through another story mode?

After all it's the fighting that's fun, and it's the heart of the actual game, we all know the story anyway, so playing through another story mode doesn't bother me at all, it's probably what concerns game producers mainly, the $64,000 question, 'How do we handle this game, another damn story mode?'.

Answer? Wrong question altogether, a story mode should be essential anyway, it's the fighting system that the game producers must be concerned about, if the fighting is fun, who cares what the game modes feature(well, not entirely, the game modes have to be decent, but that isn't what I'm saying here), it's the way fights are fought that count the most. Then when you complete the game it's still fun to play.

So basically, make the fighting fun, and I won't be fussed playing through the same story as the Budokai games, because the way you beat up the opponent is what the game makers must perfect.
Last edited by Bejiita on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:39 pm

Bejiita wrote:I also doubt it will have 'Budokai' in it's title. I think Atari will avoid it, it is made by different people(isn't it?), and it would actually benefit for them by not using the Budokai name at all, people will think it's just another Budokai(which it isn't)and will possibly avoid purchasing it assuming that it will be just like their old games.
Budokai 1-3 were developed by Dimps, and Tenkaichi by Spike. It's safe to assume this will inherit the Budokai legacy.

Anywho, I will definitely be picking up this game. Following my severe disappointment with Budokai Tenkaichi, I'm looking for a new Budokai to keep me excited.
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod