Kai Episode 101 (20 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 101 (20 April 2014)

Post by kei17 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:32 am

Also, what's with this weird edit? This was obviously unnecessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O8Y7KSHsNo

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:36 am

Do you mean that she didn't pull her pigtail anymore?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:38 am

kei17 wrote:Toei have embraced the crushed blacks cult.
Damn that's awful they've eliminated the details by blackening it all. Toei probably looked at FUNimation's remastering and thought it was a good idea. :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:48 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Do you mean that she didn't pull her pigtail anymore?
Yes. In Z, her hand motion depicts her anger swelling inside, but it's totally ruined in Kai. You can't even see how her pigtail is flipped.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
kei17 wrote:Toei have embraced the crushed blacks cult.
Damn that's awful they've eliminated the details by blackening it all. Toei probably looked at FUNimation's remastering and thought it was a good idea. :|
Well, I guess that if this was produced with the world market specifically in mind, and the observational evidence shows that Funimation have been able to sell a healthy quantity of a similarly under produced product, they may have just thought: 'Why bother going to any further effort or expense?'.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:57 am

kei17 wrote:The pacing is too rushed.
I agree. Most scenes should be a couple more seconds long, specially for Videl's training and the reaction to Goten and Trunks transformations. It's the only major complaint I have though. Everything else seems fine for the most part.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:26 pm

kei17 wrote:Also, what's with this weird edit? This was obviously unnecessary.

Still not as awkward as the editing in Goten's ki blast scene, personally.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Zeta

Post by Zeta » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 pm

kei17 wrote:Also, what's with this weird edit? This was obviously unnecessary.

I must agree with you and the rest that have noticed the weird edits and badly edit timings. I would've expect for a company to not make this kind of tiny errors in their remastering process that it's gonna make them look very amateurish at best and to me it really annoys me when tiny things like this get overlooked due to lack of quality testing management. If only I knew how to understand or write in Japanese I would raise this issues to TOEI Animation Co. via any means like on their Facebook page, twitter or even sending an email to have them take note and hopefully have this fixed on their future DVD/Blu-ray releases.

Like an example with VIZ Media that just recently released Ranma ½ on Blu-Ray remastered with its original format, so in their early trailers a lot of us fans complained on the video preview of having too much saturated colors with strong black contrast and by raising our voices things got fixed in the end and the final product is a great piece to enjoy watching in its original 4:3 format with improved natural colors, correct contrast and brightness. I do advocate that if someone knows Japanese well do please raise your voice in this type of concerning issues that I'm sure it will continue to happen in the future. For some this type of small errors are tiny and not much of a problem, but it never hurts to try and letting them know on what can be possibly fixed/improved on.
Last edited by Zeta on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm

kei17 wrote: Toei have embraced the crushed blacks cult.
Oi... One thing I loved about Kai was the amazing dark detail, and now it's the complete opposite. :|
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:40 pm

I think it's amusing how so far the Buu arc of Kai has been speeding through the character-building scenes and the fun interactions, while the battles are most likely to be cut minimally, if at all, given the "69 episodes" tidbit.

I'm still digging Kai so far, overall, strange music cues and all. The only sore spot I have right now is that the Goten/Videl/Goten training episodes have all been drastically truncated, as those were really solid episodes in the original DBZ. Even the FUNimation dub of those episodes wasn't half bad.

Then again, it is more accurate to the manga's pacing... You are allowing to have some breathing room between dialogue though, Toei.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

thegoodnamesgone

Post by thegoodnamesgone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Pacing seems better than last few episodes (sad they took out the whole Videl crying bit tho), music is better fitting and has an old 90's anime sound to it, but it lasts longer than welcome, remaster quality its mix looks amazing in some places and awful in some.

KAI boo arc is not looking good but ill stick with it to the end because I am bound by my love for the franchise.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:21 pm

I now miss the Kikuchi score placements. Even if there weren't many in Kai, I think I'd prefer it to what we have now.

Pacing wise it's the best episode yet of the Boo saga. Maybe it does feel kinda fast, but still better than the others we've had.

Also what was up with Goten's Ki blast. He points, shoots, and boom. Was it always that fast. I thought I'd see the ki ball, but I didn't. It's like they cut a part out of it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:41 am

^ You know, about that blast, I don't know how it was in the original, but if it was an epillepsy-inducing shot, it's possible that they found cutting the blast itself better than redrawing. For now, we have no proof that Toei is willing to redraw any shot if I'm not mistaken, so to avoid epillepsy flashes, they might have decided to simply cut the shot altogether.

We'll have a definitive answer when we see a blast that is originally supposed to have those blinking flashes across the screen.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:58 am

I loved this episode! The music finally clicked perfectly with me and I love the pacing. I'm very happy with how this is all turning out!

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 am

Cold Skin wrote:^ You know, about that blast, I don't know how it was in the original, but if it was an epillepsy-inducing shot, it's possible that they found cutting the blast itself better than redrawing. For now, we have no proof that Toei is willing to redraw any shot if I'm not mistaken, so to avoid epillepsy flashes, they might have decided to simply cut the shot altogether.

We'll have a definitive answer when we see a blast that is originally supposed to have those blinking flashes across the screen.
That actually might be one of the scariest things I've heard. If they're going to cut all those instead of re-animating them, how will fightscenes in Buu Kai look? O__O That's gonna be one hell of a mess :o

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Just love 102 episode preview. Best ever 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRx21deBdn8
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:52 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Just love 102 episode preview. Best ever 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRx21deBdn8
Pretty cool nevertheless but why'd Toei Animation hire a composer to produce a VGM score for the Majin Boo arc? Didn't they have Hiroshi Takaki available or what? :-/

I'm not saying it's bad, just not fitting is all.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:55 pm

Well, I kinda like the NEP theme. And the preview itself is really, really cool.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 am

Any news on ratings for new Kai episodes?