Major Metallitron?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Major Metallitron?

Post by MoltenMan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Hey guys, got a quick name question for you.

The android in Dragon Ball that Goku fights soon after entering Muscle Tower, what's the general name for this guy? Full Metal Jacket, Major Metallitron, Sergeant Metallic? What's his real name?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Major Metallitron?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Sergeant Metallic, I believe.

At least, that's what Herms has listed in the Strength Checker.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks. It's kind of confusing. Been reading the Viz manga and they call him Full Metal Jacket, I believe the dub calls him Major Metallitron, but I don't know enough about him to see what people generally call him when they refer to him.

I wonder why such a drastic redesign in Path to Power?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:33 pm

MoltenMan wrote:Thanks. It's kind of confusing. Been reading the Viz manga and they call him Full Metal Jacket, I believe the dub calls him Major Metallitron, but I don't know enough about him to see what people generally call him when they refer to him.

Well, Viz is full of weird "Vizisms," like Vegerot and Hercule, while the Funimation dub has its share as well, like Tien, Korin, and General Tao.
And then there's the whole "androids vs cyborgs" thing.

Theres plenty of inconsistency concerning English names for this series.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:33 pm

MoltenMan wrote:Thanks. It's kind of confusing. Been reading the Viz manga and they call him Full Metal Jacket, I believe the dub calls him Major Metallitron, but I don't know enough about him to see what people generally call him when they refer to him.

Well his original design is a blatant reference to Schwarzenegger's Terminator. Perhaps they changed up the design to avoid any legal issues due to his likeness being used without his permission?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Yeah, that's true.

Reason I asked about the name is, I'm thinking of buying a PS4 soon, and when I sign up for PSN I like to use names of obscure characters I like. Just to kind of get the name out there. On XBL I've always used "MoltenMan" but the name is taken. I wanted a name of a character I thought was cool, and Metallic is one idea I'm throwing around.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:39 pm

MoltenMan wrote:Yeah, that's true.

Reason I asked about the name is, I'm thinking of buying a PS4 soon, and when I sign up for PSN I like to use names of obscure characters I like. Just to kind of get the name out there. On XBL I've always used "MoltenMan" but the name is taken. I wanted a name of a character I thought was cool, and Metallic is one idea I'm throwing around.
Gotta love obscure Lee/Dikto Spider-Man villains.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:45 pm

The "Metallic" name is not JUST in reference to the fact that he's a robot and made of metal. It's also part of the Red Ribbon Army characters' "colors" name theme, in this case referring to metallic colors.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Kaboom wrote:The "Metallic" name is not JUST in reference to the fact that he's a robot and made of metal. It's also part of the Red Ribbon Army characters' "colors" name theme, in this case referring to metallic colors.
Ah, yeah, good point. Which kind of makes Funi's name a bit weird. "Metallitron" Which then, they call him a Major, and another name is Sergeant. Now I'm all kinds of confused.

Viz's Full Metal Jacket, I'm not sure how they translated that. I'd like to know his it was in the original Japanese manga.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:29 pm

MoltenMan wrote:Ah, yeah, good point. Which kind of makes Funi's name a bit weird. "Metallitron" Which then, they call him a Major, and another name is Sergeant. Now I'm all kinds of confused.
Well that's because FUNimation's localization/scripting people apparently hate Dragon Ball's clever "themed "names. See their lost-in-translation names for Bardock's crew, the Ginyu Force, "Cui," "Dabura," and so forth.
deviantART
[thread]

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:30 pm

MoltenMan wrote:Viz's Full Metal Jacket, I'm not sure how they translated that. I'd like to know his it was in the original Japanese manga.
Sergeant Metallic. Viz was trying to be clever by changing the name, something that was never asked of them.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:04 pm

Not much to add at this point, but yeah, in Japanese the dude's name is メタリック/Metarikku="Metallic". It's flat-out just the English word, no translation required. For such a straightforward name, it's rather odd that both the Funi dub and Viz ended up changing it. I guess they both felt it was too straightforward?

Viz's "Full Metal Jacket" is a reference to the Kubrick film of the same name.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Kaboom wrote:Well that's because FUNimation's localization/scripting people apparently hate Dragon Ball's clever "themed "names. See their lost-in-translation names for Bardock's crew, the Ginyu Force, "Cui," "Dabura," and so forth.
Wait, I can see the argument against Metallitron and Bardock's crew, but what did they do to the last three? The Ginyu Force names still seem pretty much on par, and I don't remember there being anything greatly different with the other two names in the subtitled version.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Kaboom wrote:
MoltenMan wrote:Ah, yeah, good point. Which kind of makes Funi's name a bit weird. "Metallitron" Which then, they call him a Major, and another name is Sergeant. Now I'm all kinds of confused.
Well that's because FUNimation's localization/scripting people apparently hate Dragon Ball's clever "themed "names. See their lost-in-translation names for Bardock's crew, the Ginyu Force, "Cui," "Dabura," and so forth.
For Dabura, they just directly translated the name as written in Japanese into English, didn't they? That one's a weird case of remaining accurate at the cost of losing the pun, if I've got that right.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Wait, I can see the argument against Metallitron and Bardock's crew, but what did they do to the last three?
The Ginyu Force get their names from dairy products (curd, creme, butter, cheese), and their spellings and pronunciations in FUNimation's dubs only partially reflect that, at best. Same with the "kiwi" sourced name turning into "Cui." As for...
Kamiccolo9 wrote:For Dabura, they just directly translated the name as written in Japanese into English, didn't they? That one's a weird case of remaining accurate at the cost of losing the pun, if I've got that right.
Yeah, but his name comes from "abracadabra," so in this case the 'U' in 'Dabura' may represent the Japanese characters more strictly and accurately, but kind of undermines the point of his name.
deviantART
[thread]

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:36 pm

It's weird how they couldn't even keep the rank the same. Sergeant, Major, agree on something will ya!? :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Kaboom wrote:The Ginyu Force get their names from dairy products (curd, creme, butter, cheese), and their spellings and pronunciations in FUNimation's dubs only partially reflect that, at best. Same with the "kiwi" sourced name turning into "Cui." As for...
True, but...eh, I dunno. It's still easy enough to see where the name puns are coming from with 'Burter' and 'Jeice', but I guess that could be because I do know where it's coming from and therefore I can make the connection. And it's still 'Recoome' (well, 'ReCoome') if I recall right in the subs, so that's still an unclear-ish one anyway. 'Gurd' is definitely more on the nose than 'Guldo' though, yeah.

As for Cui, ah, that's right. I keep forgetting his name pun or that FUNi changed the K to a C for 'Cui'. My bad. ^_^;
Yeah, but his name comes from "abra cadabra," so in this case the 'U' in 'Dabura' may represent the Japanese characters more strictly and accurately, but kind of undermines the point of his name.
True...but eh. That just becomes a bit too...pedantic, at that point, at least for me. I can see your point of course, but I just don't think that ranks up there with some of the other more blatant name changes like Metallitron. But then, I'm also fine with the hated 'Fr-i-eza' spelling too, so what do I know. :P
MoltenMan wrote:It's weird how they couldn't even keep the rank the same. Sergeant, Major, agree on something will ya!? :lol:
They were really bad with that kind of thing in regards to the RRA for some reason, as evidenced by 'General Tao' for a time.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:58 pm

MoltenMan wrote:It's weird how they couldn't even keep the rank the same. Sergeant, Major, agree on something will ya!? :lol:
I think that was done in the interest of alliteration. Strange as it may be, if they had to change the name and rank, that didn't go over too poorly with me.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:09 pm

What was his deal? Anyone else wonder if he was a prototype Android of Gero?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:06 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:True...but eh. That just becomes a bit too...pedantic, at that point, at least for me. I can see your point of course, but I just don't think that ranks up there with some of the other more blatant name changes like Metallitron. But then, I'm also fine with the hated 'Fr-i-eza' spelling too, so what do I know. :P
Well, I wouldn't say it's pedantic because it's not really the spelling in and of itself that makes it so blatantly bad. The spelling, though, contributes to what does make it so blatantly bad, though: the pronunciation, which is one of the most off the mark pronunciations the dub has ever had and what takes it completely away from the joke.

It's not duh-BOOOOR-uh. It's DAH-bra. I don't necessarily have a problem spelling it Dabura. I also spell Yamucha like that, but I'd be up in arms if someone decided that meant his name was pronounced yuh-MOOOO-cha.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4