Why Was Dragon Ball Z's "Picture" Shaky?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Why Was Dragon Ball Z's "Picture" Shaky?

Post by Xeztin » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm not really in-tune with how animation worked back then, but something I noticed that I didn't growing up was that DBZ and Kai's (Since it's the same film) was a bit shaky at times. For example, you'd see a still Goku and the sky would look like it was shaking or something in the background. I should find a clip for those that don't understand what I mean, but I'm sure others has noticed this. What causes it? I realize it might of been because of lack of technology back then, but what caused it specifically, or what didn't we have then that we do now that prevents that?

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why Was Dragon Ball Z's "Picture" Shaky?

Post by thejeremymenace » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:07 pm

It's telecine wobble, AKA gate weave.
When film is transferred to video, it is done by a telecine machine. This is a machine that is fundamentally a modified movie projector, but instead of projecting the film image onto a screen, the film is projected onto a device which converts the film image into a form suitable for processing into video.

The film is moved through the telecine machine mechanically. If the mechanics of the telecine machine are not precisely set up, the film can weave backwards and forwards as it passes through the machine, with the result that the final video image wobbles from side-to-side as well.

Telecines are not the only source of wobble in a video image, however. Wobble can also be introduced by the original camera shooting the film if its mechanism is not perfect.
http://www.michaeldvd.com/Articles/Vide ... obble.html
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:29 am

In older traditional film animation this shakiness is known as frame jitter. To really understand how it is caused, you have to understand at least a little about how film animation is created. Each individual frame of an episode had to be photographed onto film, one at a time, with the character in the foreground placed over an artistic background. If one frame happened to be photographed just slightly different in contrast to the previous frame photographed, the end result would be that the frame appears to jump or jitter around as the animation is running. Digital animation does not have this issue, as it is never turned into a physical media, but remains entirely digital. Any shaking or jumping in digital animation has be purposely added.

Unlike more modern digital animation, traditional animation also required film projection using various types of film equipment, which is a mechanical process. Over time, and with repeated viewing on a film projector, the film perforations (the little holes on the sides) can become worn and add additional shakiness to the picture as the film goes through the projector.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:42 am

Thanks guys really helpful :D

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:48 am

Also, it doesn't help that the TV series was photographed onto 16mm film which is much smaller than 35mm mainly used for theatrical productions. Being physically smaller leads to more visible jitter caused by playback.