Would Namekians suffocate themselves? (dumb question)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Would Namekians suffocate themselves? (dumb question)

Post by Steven Perry » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:13 pm

After discovering that Namekians don't eat food, it brought me to one conclusion: they photosynthesise (the fact that they're green also reinforces this). Let's suppose that more than 100 Namekians were living on their planet (they had more children).

In order for them to live, they'd require CO2 in considerable amounts (right?). Namekians breathe out oxygen, meaning that they'd slowly suffocate themselves- especially with the vast amount of trees that are present. An indication of oxygen's presence in large amounts is the fact that the earthlings are shielded by three blazing suns, and that they can breathe easy.

So, what is the composition of Namek's atmosphere and would they suffocate themselves if there were millions more? :?

Yeah, I know... dumb question.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:47 pm

Umm... I know this has been going around, but was it ever mentioned that Namekkians photosynthesise?

I know there's speculation that Namekkians are akin to trees, but these similarities are circumstantial and really don't prove they're plants.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:09 pm

In order for them to live, they'd require CO2 in considerable amounts (right?). Namekians breathe out oxygen, meaning that they'd slowly suffocate themselves- especially with the vast amount of trees that are present. An indication of oxygen's presence in large amounts is the fact that the earthlings are shielded by three blazing suns, and that they can breathe easy.
Maybe, your just reading to much into it. If you need a technical answer though, we dont know much about the ecco system of there planet enough to come to a conclusion on the amount of oxygen it would take to sufficat those lovable snail men. :?

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:07 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Umm... I know this has been going around, but was it ever mentioned that Namekkians photosynthesise?

I know there's speculation that Namekkians are akin to trees, but these similarities are circumstantial and really don't prove they're plants.
Yeah, but... how would they survive otherwise? :?
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:24 pm

Where did this Namekians breathing CO2 come from? I never heard anything like that in the manga or the show.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:39 pm

Well, on Namek there was enough air for everyone to breath. So this pushes me towards the theory that Namekians CAN breath air. Because like you aid, if they couldn't, the would die from lack of CO2.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:44 am

If that was true though, Piccolo would pretty much die on a planet with no sun, and that wouldn't make any sense because I've seen heaps of planets (I can't remember their names though) with no neighbouring suns.

And also in one of the movies, Piccolo travels with the Z fighters somewhere. Where the sun (if there were any suns in space as they passed by) would be blocked by the space ship= Piccolo death.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:30 pm

Supa-saiyajin wrote:If that was true though, Piccolo would pretty much die on a planet with no sun, and that wouldn't make any sense because I've seen heaps of planets (I can't remember their names though) with no neighbouring suns.

And also in one of the movies, Piccolo travels with the Z fighters somewhere. Where the sun (if there were any suns in space as they passed by) would be blocked by the space ship= Piccolo death.
Huh? None of that made any sense.

One, anyone would almost assuredly die if their planet didn't have a sun. A sun is used for more than just photosynthesis, it's needed for light, heat, and a stable planetary rotation.

Two, if a planet doesn't have a sun to orbit it's not a planet - it's an asteroid, a moon, or some other satellite. Furthermore, I can't recall ever seeing any inhabited "planets" without a sun.

Three, blocking out the sun wouldn't mean instant death to a photosynthetic lifeform. Trees don't die when it's cloudy :P

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:08 pm

Namekians aren't even plants, as stated by Toriyama in a recent Shonen Jump interview.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:39 pm

Consider this: Namekians don't eat, but are able to breath Oxygen, so perhaps they inhale (they clearly breathe) all the nutrients they need from the air? This would explain their quick adaptation to other Oxygen-rich environments, as well as their seeming obsession (based on biological need?) to cultivate plant life.

...I am such a nerd >_<
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:05 pm

It's possible that the trees on Namek are important to their health. I always figured they where simply trying to repair the damage done to their planet years and years prior. The only thing the Namekians need to sustain themselves besides air and solar heat (which all lifeforms on our planet do) is water (which most lifeforms need as well). No brainer... :wink:

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:16 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:It's possible that the trees on Namek are important to their health. I always figured they where simply trying to repair the damage done to their planet years and years prior. The only thing the Namekians need to sustain themselves besides air and solar heat (which all lifeforms on our planet do) is water (which most lifeforms need as well). No brainer... :wink:
Well, they seem to be into planting those trees on their new planet too, if I recall properly... 'course it could also be that Toriyama didn't feel like making New Namek look any different from Namek 8)
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:00 am

I guess it's possible... but something tells me Piccolo would therefore be dependent on sunlight and I know that certain planets HAVE NO SUN. so I dunno.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:24 am

Mystic Jack wrote:I guess it's possible... but something tells me Piccolo would therefore be dependent on sunlight and I know that certain planets HAVE NO SUN. so I dunno.
Well, technically, if it doesn't have a sun it isn't a planet, so...

Furthermore, even if Piccolo did spend some time on a planet without sunlight, that doesn't mean he'd explode :P If he's a plant it'd be like it was a rather long night.

That said - there's no reason to think Piccolo photosynthesises.

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:24 pm

Okay, for the sake of arguement, let's just say that Nameks do have plant-like qualities, or even that they're plant people.

Plants use carbon dioxide AND oxygen.

Photosynthesis (means an autotroph creates food):
carbon dioxide + water -sunlight-> glucose + oxygen

Respiration (means a living thing burns food for energy):
oxygen + food --> carbon dioxide + poop

Um, something like that. Whatever, I'm on vacation. :roll:

Anyway, if Nameks are anything like trees, (which produce only 2% of Earth's oxygen, by the way) they don't actually produce that much oxygen in the first place.

So no, Namek'jin can't suffocate themselves. That'd be silly. :P
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:09 pm

In the interval after the Vegeta battle and before the trip to namek - Kami mentions that in the place he lived before coming to the lookout, that "there was little food" - as if he needed it (or thought he needed it). Piccolo on a number of occations, has eaten senzu beans..so they are capable of eating.

It's quite possible Namekians don't even have a digestive tract like other humanoids/animals do... This maybe gross - if they DO eat solids, rather than passing what the body can't use as feces - they regurgitate it like they do eggs to reproduce. Just a theory of mine.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:57 pm

Also, they can swallow sizable things such as what King Piccolo did and swallowed two dragonballs only to then bring them back up from his "stomach" and use them. Piccolo also swallowed the jar with Kami-sama in it.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:54 am

Mystic Jack wrote:I guess it's possible... but something tells me Piccolo would therefore be dependent on sunlight and I know that certain planets HAVE NO SUN. so I dunno.
Like Campbell said, those aren't planets, and furthermore, what importance do they have? <.<;; Piccolo never visited them.

It's like going "Oh man, that means Son Goku is dependant on oxygen, and some planets don't have oxygen, he'd die on those, that sucks!"