Episode #0046 (08 October 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0046 (08 October 2006)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:57 pm

Episode #0046 (download MP3)
67:55; 64 kbps, mono; 31.0 MB

Episode #0046! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian talk with Jeff Heller and Andrew Deluxe about what it is about DragonBall that makes you a fan... or not a fan. As either an anime fan or not an anime fan, is there anything about that show to drag you in or keep you away? How does it relate to other fandoms, both casual and niche? Referenced sites: Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the monumental *forty-six* episodes, now.

No real referenced sites :P.

This was definitely a fun episode to record. Julian came down for the weekend, and we had both Jeff and Andrew come on over Saturday night to record with us. As with any of our round-table discussions (literally; the dining room table is round... >.>), the topic ventures off into different areas that we hadn't planned, and they're all disgustingly interesting to debate about. American comic fans will definitely get into the episode, with all of our comparisons to X-Men and its type of releases over the years.

After listening to the episode, let us know your thoughts. Were we on track? What are your experiences with fans and non-fans, alike? Why do you think people can or cannot get into the show? And just why, exactly, is Andrew banned from teaching children in at least three countries?

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:01 pm

And just why, exactly, is Andrew banned from teaching children in at least three countries?
The clincher for me to put it in my ipod. :P
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:42 pm

Wow! Awesome podcast! I love Jeff & Andrew (No, i dont love them "that way" you bastard) because of how funny they can be. It's also good with some other voices on the podcast.

I like it when you guys talk about manga/anime instead of only Dragon Ball so i really enjoyed this episode. This was a very funny episode and i really cracked up at the "kono bangumi ha FUNimation-" joke. That was so hilarious! :D
Last edited by DBZ-Guy on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Jump Ultimate Stars (DS).
Currently obsessed with: Death Note, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Busou Renkin

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:24 pm

Great Podcast guys, as always. :D
Love how you guys go into the typical " Duh 10 minute staring competition " ideas.
Gave me new ideas for answers to misguided... retards on forums. :P
10/10
Keep it up :)

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Nice podcast. All good points about fandom, both DBZ centric, and in general.

I've never actually come across much Dragonball bashing. I don't frequent many message boards and can't think of any specific examples. In fact, the most 'hating' I've come across online is usually "DBZ sux". Then I call him a cockmonger and that's the end of it.

Furthermore, I play CounterStrike and I've never seen any DBZ bashing there either. In CounterStrike. I've seen players with Dragonball names, I've seen a few vaguely DBZ quotes - but noone's ever said anything about it. I expected something in CounterStrike, the bottom rung of Internet assery - but nothing.

And I've never, ever, had anyone make fun of DBZ, or really make any disparaging comments about it. Most people I know (and none of them are anime fans) seem to enjoy DBZ, even if they only watch the dub.

About fillers, some criticize DBZ for all the non-manga stuff put in to fill out the episodes, but is a few filler episodes a month worse than, say, Narutos hundred straight episodes of filler? On one hand I've stopped watching Naruto because it's just filler episode after filler episode after filler episode... but on the other hand, I'm ready to start back in when they start up with the manga again.

What are your opinions on filler? Should we have story arcs that are completely true to the manga (ie: filler-less) and then completely filler story arcs (to let the manga get far enough ahead to animate) - or should there be smaller less significant instances of filler throughout?

Also, what was that last part of the podcast? It was all "not English", so I didn't catch it :P

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:12 pm

Very entertaining podcast. I always thought that the emotional attachment was a big part as to why people won't start watching Dragonball. Its true, I forgot who said it (sorry) but, a guy in his 20's is not gonna start watching Ninja Turtles. Wasn't that the whole base behind the new Dragonball merchandise in Japan? Kids grew up watching it and now they gots the money to spend on crap.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:23 pm

Again, ol' iTunes has its little exclamation point in a circle error thing, so I listened to the episode via the link.

I dunno why, but I always like these general group discuccions that you guys have that isn't really DB related, but is more of a general fandom kinda thing. You guys did the same thing in another episode which I enjoyed a lot (episode 4 with Scott Melzer and AMVs).

Since I got into the series right after the Cell Games, I haven't encountered that much DB hate and the ones I have heard are from my friends, so I instead of going agro on their ass, I decide to try and get where they're coming from. And yeah, I do agree that most of the hating was from the Freeza Saga and its billion episodes of staring contests. And as for my friends who are "casual watchers" of the series [because I got them going with the early Viz manga as opposed to the anime (I believe the phrase is w00tness points?)] they kinda fit in with your guys' description of the casual watchers who liked DB, but couldn't really get into Z. So yeah, your guys' opinions on the whole fandom etc was dead on (yay!).

Seeing it from my friends' point of view, I introduced them the the series from the very beginning, so they found it incredibly strange that Goku was found to be an alien and the fights from then on were based on flying and ki-attacks. So for them, I guess they didn't get into the later series because they were so used to the kiddie/potty-humor/hand-to-hand-fighting that was DB (until the Piccolo Daimaou Saga, that is).

As for my classmates, I remember in English class last year (let me tell a story to you chil'uns) that we were talking about themes in flying in literature. One kid was whispering to the guy next to him, to which the other guy blurted out what the other guy said-- "Goku?!" Oddly enough, everyone in the class got the joke (as cheesy as it was). And as I mentioned in a previous post, whenever I would wear my DBZ sweater, the most my classmates would say about it was "Oh, I totally remember seeing that when I was a kid." Yeah, it's kinda embarassing to know that what you're into now is part of someone else your age's childhood, but it's kinda something that comes with being a DB fan.
desirecampbell wrote:What are your opinions on filler? Should we have story arcs that are completely true to the manga (ie: filler-less) and then completely filler story arcs (to let the manga get far enough ahead to animate) - or should there be smaller less significant instances of filler throughout?
Well, I really hate what the Naruto anime's become with its filler, so I'd have to say that having filler spread throughout is much better than having it cranked out in spurts.

I'm re-listening to the podcast now, and I noticed that you guys didn't really correct every little bit of misconceptions that Jeff and Andrew said, but that doesn't really take away from the episode.

And for the whole American comics thing, I never got hardcore into any of that stuff outside of the movies, mostly because those comics aren't really that accessable to me, except for the creepy emo-ish comic shop near my old house. For me, manga is just more available, so that's what I stuck with :).

And as for the obligatory male-pregnancy episode, I just fell off my chair (not really) at that comment. I do remember seeing that Cosby Show episode, and According to Jim kinda did the same thing :?... Further off-topic, I saw the first episode of the DeathNote anime and think... it's kinda better done as an anime. I mean, the story is mainly based on guys talking and explaining stuff, so I think you'd get the series better if you actually read the dang thing, since you can stop, go back, and re-read the long explanations of the goings on. I mean, it to me a second reading to know about the whole flashback sequence in chapter 1 and why Light had so many names in the Note. But I digress...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:25 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Again, ol' iTunes has its little exclamation point in a circle error thing, so I listened to the episode via the link.
Should work, now. Had some slightly invalid code in the RSS feed. Sorry 'bout that!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:28 pm

Oh man, that almost left me sore because I am pathetically emotionally attached to the series and I kept wanting someone to like cut in and say "no you're wrong, Dragonball is like-" but you know you just can't because it's done, and people already have their lasting impressions of the series. Not everyone should have to get into the series and not everyone's going to like it even if they are exposed and that's something to come to terms with.

I dunno, I just feel like maybe what would help the most would be for people to understand the author and his personality. For me that's totally what got me obsessive, you just see things in it that you wouldn't unless you were familiar with Toriyama's story telling style from his other works and such.

And I did like Julian's little "kono bangumi ha-" end of japanese TV program line at the end. We've all heard it so many times at the end of subs and such that it's like music.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:33 pm

This podcast was fun to listen to, it's always great to have special guests in these podcasts, gives the episodes a fresh sound every now and then.
One of the best episodes so far.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:59 pm

Oh wow I actually watched it on-time instead of me waiting until half the week was over. XD Meaning I can make comments.

I originally latched onto dbz during the summer of 2000 after coming off from being a jaded pkmn fan (yes, pokemon was my 12 or 13 year old self's gateway anime, I embarrassingly admit it), and the sole reason I can think of as to why I'm still a fan of dbz is because I never went full-blown otaku with it the way I did with pkmn. I find if I binge on anything I lose interest. I didn't do that with db/dbz and I'm glad.

I haven't seen the Cell Saga in any form, Funi dub or japanese, in years and about a month ago CN started airing it at this late night Friday slot. Watching it from my pov now, I find things hilarious that I never noticed before (Vegeta's 6 minute long "How I became a Super Saiyajin" speech) and now its just this wonderfully fun piece of semi-nostalgia for me. (I say "semi" because I'm still writing and drawing stuff related to the show). But yeah, big part of the second half of my high school years. I really enjoy when you guys have these roundtable discussions.

Also I'm dying to hear your Sparking NEO review. I want to know all about the "What If's" and how the movie villians are unlocked.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:04 pm

More stuff about American fandom stuff:

You don't know where the hell to start, since as you guys mentioned, the shows are basically a continuous loop. For example, the Rex Morgan comic strip in my newspaper has always confused me, since there 1. I used to think that it was supposed to be funny(:?) and 2. to truly get the full impact of stuff, you'd think that you'd have to start at the very beginning. But as I noticed, Rex Morgan as well as other stuff like TV soap operas are separated in "sagas" as most anime are, so I guess you can get into the series at the beginning of a saga and pick up what's necessary to the stuff.

But to me, after watching something as massive as DB, I've picked up the feeling that I must need all of this back info just so I can call myself a true fan.

And that whole niche thing with shows like Lost and 24... that's just a rant and a half on my part :x...

Sorry if that was a bit ramble/rant-ish :oops:.

EDIT:
Chiquita wrote:I find if I binge on anything I lose interest. I didn't do that with db/dbz and I'm glad.
Good point. I just realized that I actually took a break around the time between CN's finishing off DBZ to a few months ago when the podcast came about. Really, my fandom kinda rose at the end of the series' airing on CN, then lowered, then heightened again when you guys started cranking out these podcast episodes.

:sigh: Right when I was out, they dragged me back in... But really, DB's been giving me something to do outside of school. Hey, I've got school, so I've only got time for one thing outside of school. I just happened to choose DB :).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:53 pm

I really like the way andrew says things!

He has such a funny sounding voice (in a good way).

Great episode as usual guys!

Lovin it!
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:31 am

Wow, lots of rambling in this episode... :D

Pretty good episode, I agree with all of the misconceptions about DB and it's fandom. I also agree with all of the things mentioned that make DB enjoyable.

I'm really looking forward to the Sparking! NEO review (hopefully next week?)... Adios!

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:17 am

Man, you guys sound like you have so much fun together.

Anyway...can someone post up a sound clip or Video clip of the Infamous Kamehameha dump that Schemmel made? I've never heard it....I mean I'm sure I have but I've never noticed it.

Also, Meri, wasn't Trunks 20 when he beats the Androids in his timeline & not 23. He is 17 when he first appears, only 1 year passes in his time, so he's 18 at the start of the Android Saga, then he goes into the Time Chamber twice, so he's 20. I don't remember where it is stated that only 1 year passed in his time, if someone remembers can they point it out?

I'm not done listening to the episode yet so I'll post my fandom opinions later.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:52 am

I got the Trunks age from here:

http://www.templeotrunks.com/info/timelines/index.html

But it hasn't been updated in years, so all the errors are probably still there. Back in 1999, this was considered "correct," but I'm sure fan speculation (and better research) can dispute this info pretty damn nicely.

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:35 am

I think it's time for a Podcast Favorite Character Contest!

My favorite character is Julian. "Oh dear"!

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:37 am

What are your opinions on filler? Should we have story arcs that are completely true to the manga (ie: filler-less) and then completely filler story arcs (to let the manga get far enough ahead to animate) - or should there be smaller less significant instances of filler throughout?
I would rather see filler, than see the anime change importent parts of the comic. I also enjoy seeing brand new material that plays in the Dragonball Universe, than just stuff that I have already read in the comic.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:06 am

Sabin Deus wrote:I think it's time for a Podcast Favorite Character Contest!

Why am I a "character?" It's not like there's a difference between real-me and podcast-me, the way there's a difference between Stephen Colbert and Stephen Colbert... :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:22 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Sabin Deus wrote:I think it's time for a Podcast Favorite Character Contest!

Why am I a "character?" It's not like there's a difference between real-me and podcast-me, the way there's a difference between Stephen Colbert and Stephen Colbert... :?
But you're a figment of EX's imagination, remember?
­