Episode #0050 (05 November 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:19 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:But yeah, other than that one instance, I can't really think of any goals Goku truly had in a selfish sense, other than training Uub so they could have an all-out battle, and even that was at the end of DBZ. Luffy and Naruto are so selfish. :P
XD... Huh... are Luffy and Naruto really so selfish? I mean, because Pirate King, you got responsibilities and subjects I'm guessing. Hokage, you've got the duty to protect and actually do deskwork. Luffy and Naruto want JOBS!! Goku never wants a job! He leaves his family and goes off to train with Uub so he can fight him, not to be the next Earth defender! Goku is selfish!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:23 pm

To answer cyan's question in a little more detail, I'm pretty sure that the more recent Japanese DB information books are pretty much condensed version of the daizenshuu. But it seemed that s/he was more intereted in the original art from the anime guides, so I don't know how much I my answer helps :?...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:16 am

Well, first of all congratulations on the 50th episode. I finished listening to the pod cast a while ago, but did not have time to post until now.
“In hopes of enlightening and a little bit entertaining”
That is the quote we hear at the beginning of each pod cast. Now, I have been listening to the old pod casts, most recent listen being episode 3. Now the point I am trying to get at is that the old pod casts used to be very informative, providing a lot of information most dragonball fans did not know. Not much entertaining but it was still great. The recent episodes seem to focus more on entertaining than giving out information. Don’t get me wrong, your pod casts are still quite informative, but lately it seems to lean more toward the entertaining and joke aspects.
It's become more like “In hopes of entertaining and a little bit enlightening ”, i can feel Mike almost going "seriously guys", as meri and julian jokingly gave a small summary on vegeta and goku's rivalry.
I know some are going “ah shut up Kogu, noob doesn’t know what he’s talking about!!” but I’m just giving my opinion here.
AND DON'T GET ME WRONG, i love the podcast !!
It would be great if you would just lean abit more in the direction episode 3 went, get a little bit more information through, and still keep up the humour.
There’s my two cents.
Good episode.
:o
"Oh dear...."

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:27 am

Also keep in mind that Goku is the kind of guy who will give Cell a senzu bean because he's more concerned with having a good fight rather than ensuring the Earth stays in one piece. That's pretty damn selfish. It's not like Goku didn't intend to get rid of him eventually either.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:51 am

NeverRamza wrote:Also keep in mind that Goku is the kind of guy who will give Cell a senzu bean because he's more concerned with having a good fight rather than ensuring the Earth stays in one piece. That's pretty damn selfish. It's not like Goku didn't intend to get rid of him eventually either.
I don't recall Son Goku ever giving someone as terrible as Cell a senzu bean. Piccolo, Vegeta, they came around -- And were already beginning to come around when each got their senzu's from Goku. (Vegeta more than Piccolo, but Goku was worried about Kami-sama, naturally.) There's a pretty clear line between when Son Goku fights for fun and when he's serious. Go back to as early as Tao Paipai. When Son-kun sees Bora die, followed by such an astonding loss to Tao, something in him changes. Maybe some fans of the story can't tell change when there are no glowy colors -- But for the first time, Goku doesn't train or fight for fun. But simply because. . Who else will? Whether he immediately realized it or not, he took on the job as a hero when he climbed that tower. If Goku was *really* about having a better fight when life's were on the line, why would he go to the Red Ribbon base? I think you're way off, my friend. Goku does some selfish things, but putting the earth in danger, knowingly, is never one of them.

goku 333
Not-So-Newbie

Post by goku 333 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:03 pm

Great episode! I especially love the desiccation; I think you should have more desiccations like this one where you go deep inside the characters, that is what makes the show great in my opinion!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:55 pm

Oh, my Science! What a great episode! Good job as always! I do very much enjoyed your comparisons to other series. And like aforementioned, I do agree that Light and L's rivalry is also one worthy of mention... it's way different but but kinda reminds me of Goku and Piccolo fighting Raditz. "I'll help you, but as soon as I get my chance, I'm killing you!"

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:15 pm

goku 333 wrote:Great episode! I especially love the desiccation; I think you should have more desiccations like this one where you go deep inside the characters, that is what makes the show great in my opinion!
Desiccation is awfully... dry. Literally. I prefer to dissect the characters and see what makes 'em tick.

But yeah, I know what you meant. :P
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:09 am

Mike, I am suprized that you didnt bring up the Kenshin, Saito rivalry, or even Sanosuke. Another good rivalry is Yusuke and Hiei, from yu yu hakusho and one that is never resolved.

Mike the orginal gundam's timeline (UC) arms are always open for you.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:26 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Mike, I am suprized that you didnt bring up the Kenshin, Saito rivalry, or even Sanosuke. Another good rivalry is Yusuke and Hiei, from yu yu hakusho and one that is never resolved.

I'd say more of Yusuke/Kuwabara for Yu Yu Hakusho... but good point!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:32 am

I was thinking about the podcast and Julian's joke when you started talking about Ranma 1/2 rivalries, and I thought of something that might be interesting.

I was thinking about types of rivalries. Akane and Shampoo (and Ukyo, and Kodachi) are rivals because they strive for the same goal, they compete against each other towards some end. Thinking then about Goku and Vegeta, they have no real reason to be rivals. Goku and Vegeta compete against each other, but without any kind of "goal".

Don't know if it means anything, just thought I'd bring it up. :P

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:15 am

Goku and Vegeta's rivalry is to see who the strongest saiyan is. Vegeta is the only vocal about it, but you know Goku is the same way. Thats probably why Goku let Vegeta survive after their first fight.

-rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:23 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
TheMajinRedComet wrote:Mike, I am suprized that you didnt bring up the Kenshin, Saito rivalry, or even Sanosuke. Another good rivalry is Yusuke and Hiei, from yu yu hakusho and one that is never resolved.

Same, or even Kuwabara/Hiei. He fought with Hiei more often than Yusuke now that I think about it XD;

Gundam SEED is actually pretty damn good, some of the hugest amount of character develoupment I've seen in an anime before :o

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Kirbopher wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:

Same, or even Kuwabara/Hiei. He fought with Hiei more often than Yusuke now that I think about it XD;

Gundam SEED is actually pretty damn good, some of the hugest amount of character develoupment I've seen in an anime before :o
Before Mike tries to poison his mind with CE, he should start with good ol' UC. Seriously, I don't see why people like SEED all that much. But this isn't a Gundam board so I'll take my leave!!

*Awaiting 51*
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf