Episode #0052 (19 November 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0052 (19 November 2006)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:04 pm

Episode #0052 (download MP3)
85:10; 64 kbps, mono; 38.9 MB

Episode #0052! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian celebrate the podcast's one-year anniversary with Steven J. Simmons, FUNimation translator (DragonBall Z, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.) and old-school DBZ fanboy. We discuss DBZ's rise to subtitled-ness in North America, and the present state of FUNimation and their forthcoming so-called "remastered" DBZ sets. We also give away daizenshuu three and look forward to another year of the show! Referenced sites: Special Guest: Steven J. Simmons

Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the disgusting *fifty-two* episodes, now.

The anniversary episode is upon us. We had a ton of fun recording, and can't wait to share information with everyone! You're definitely in for a history lesson, learning all about how FUNimation began with translated DVDs, all the way up through the video game translations of present. Lots of fun stories within, as well!

As for the remastered news, it turns out that FUNimation has been leaking things here and there over the course of the week... so while we don't necessarily have the scoop on anything, we finally got a chance to talk everything out and call shenanigans where shenanigans are due. We're looking forward to another completely backwards-spun announcement, just like the rest of you :D.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:21 pm

Who called it?
DaemonCorps in the past podcast thread wrote:So yeah, pretty sweet podcast, and I hope the anniversary special will be just as good (I'm guessing the special guest will be Steve the Daimaou?).
Also, the episode's not working on iTunes :(. (EDIT: And of course, Happy Podcast-versary!)
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:50 pm

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I am actually very excited now :D

-edit-
Hahahahahaha! I didn't know Mike said "wheee!" at the first - "great minds..." Mike, "great minds..."

-edit NEO-
Oh Julian. You and your Hitler jokes...
Last edited by desirecampbell on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaftBrian

???

Post by DaftBrian » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:51 pm

iTunes is being the suck.
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:05 pm

Ahh!! *downloads* Can't wait to listen! Hah, I'm impressed with the guest speaker, whoa. Congrats on 1 year!

Woohoo! You guys rock!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Thanks for working your butts off. Podcast Explosion! If Mike, Meri and Julian Won't Do It, Who Will? :lol:

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:43 pm

Good work on fifty-two episodes, guys. I think someone called Simmons being on the show, am I right? Well anyway, your gift is in Rory's appreciation thread. :twisted:

-rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:53 pm

Congrats on one year!

*runs to wii*

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:03 pm

And now for my real response: BIG CONGRATS for the 52 episodes. Without you guys, I'd probably end up dead in a dumpster. But really, you guys are always my default when it comes to listening to something worthwhile and interesting. It's always nice to know that there are hardcore fans who have the time to keep up with the latest in DB related news and whatnot when everyone else is going on with their own little businesses etc.

So yeah, I'm hoping the best for your future episodes. And long live the Unicorn!

With all the congratulations etc out of the way, that was a pretty good episode. Nice to know your guys' opinions on the whole widescreen issue (even if that makes my a little sad).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Congradulations on 52 episodes! Another great episode, as always, and Steve Simmons! :D I loved the thing you did at the end where you recorded a little bit of your conversation at the end of the episode and slowly faded out, and Head Cha La perfectly fits the 52nd episode, although isn't the 53rd episode when you'll have been doing the podcast for a year? Anyways, can't wait for another year of the podcast!
­

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Taku128 wrote:although isn't the 53rd episode when you'll have been doing the podcast for a year?
We missed a week after Otakon, so this would have been the 53rd episode, plus it was one year ago exactly (November 19th) that #0001 came out... so it works perfectly :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Taku128 wrote:although isn't the 53rd episode when you'll have been doing the podcast for a year?
We missed a week after Otakon, so this would have been the 53rd episode, plus it was one year ago exactly (November 19th) that #0001 came out... so it works perfectly :).
I stand corrected then. Congrats on one year! :D
­

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:26 pm

52 Episodes, wow.
You've done such an amazing job you guys, you make it worth staying up on Saturday night to download it. I've been a fan from the beggining, I'll be here on the 2nd anniversary, the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and so on and so forth.
Damn, that contest bit was exciting, but, I (obviously) didn't win the contest, but everyone who listens to the podcast is a winner. :)
Keep goin', almost 9 years of Daizenshuu, keep it up you guys.
Mike, Meri, and Julian: You all fucking rule.

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:45 pm

Good Episode. :D
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way. - Morpheus (The Matrix Reloaded)

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:19 pm

*hides stupid non-post in a url*
[edit]Urm... or not... Hee...[/edit]

Kickawesome episode, as expected. So much educational value! Guh, I need more vocabulary!

I'd tip my hat to you but I haven't got a hat!

*thinks about the future* I've done that a lot today... and haven't gotten physics done. The podcast is a welcome return to energy! Thanks to your awesome I might get things done now despite being up later than usual! (Yes, 8:24PM is later than I'm usually awake...)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:47 pm

THE HEADLINE: It's the one year anniversary! And I'm excited . . . what? Oh, let me clarify that for you a bit.

I'm EXCITED.

Once again, the newfound joys of Broadband make it possible for me to sit in with Mike, Meri and Julian as they attack the task at hand-- the Podcast-- with the typical fun and flair that makes listening worth the download space.

Bizarre! How lucky is it that this particular episode comes during the same week FUNimation makes its grand announcment? You would think that Labrie and Co. started the podcast knowing exactly where in the future the press release and trailer would surface. The ravings of a conspiracy nut, or the sign of a sinister alliance in the space-time continuum? Either way, the timing and the milestone combine to make podcast #52 a celebration of all things DragonBall!

THE GUEST: Probably due in part to the fact that he essentially began as one of us, Mr. Steve "Daimao" Simmons is something of a living legend in the DragonBall community. But I don't know a lot about him-- and it's not from lack of trying, I can assure you. I've attempted on more than one occasion to get a few words with him, but it doesn't always work; he's a very busy man . . . and that's when I can find him, like in the chat.

It's nice that someone was finally able to sit him down for 90 minutes and get some background info out of him. I like Japanese subtitles, so I like people who give them to me.

I'm an longtime fan of DBZ, but admittedly I don't go as far back as the early 90s. A lot of the history regarding this era went over my head. But that's more the fault of . . . uhhh, well, me. (I'm sorry!) But I think it's good that we finally got The Story on tape before it became lost in the annals of myth. I'd like to think that a few of us learned something fun-- I enjoyed what I could understand-- and it's great that fans of the future will know the beginnings of what happened with the Japanese audio we all enjoy.

I was hoping to find out where the "Daimao" moniker came from-- no, I mean I know it's Piccolo Daimao, but I wanted an explanation. Maybe next time!

Regarding the "I humbly accept" bit . . . I don't have the Japanese version of the Trunks special, but I recognize that line. I think they actually used it in the dub, exactly!

THE NEWS: I'm a bit disapponted by the lack of "exclusive information" . . . well, all right; it's not just a little disappointed; I actually feel shortchanged because this indicates that whatever info you were going to pass along was no more than what FUNi decided to leak themselves; info which as we know has done nothing to clear any of this up. Frankly, I'm not sure where the blame lies, if any. Maybe there was an announcement that turned out to be false or unreliable?

But at the same time I'm actually glad for this outcome because it gave the Podcast a chance to do something it's fairly good at: To group together a bunch of random info that-- quite frankly, is confusing the hell out of me at current-- break it into bitty pieces and dissect it into a digestible format. Thank you for chewing my food for me. But let's hope we learn something definite this week that you can truly analyze, because right now we have the equivalent of dick.

The FUNimation Cigar Man does exist. His brother is the Cigarette-Smoking Man (from X-Files), and they're both closely guarded secrets. But to be serious about it, I think that this cartoonish figure may be representative of a dead-on assesment regarding FUNi's unusual decision regarding these sets-- they may very well be thinking that far into the future. Though if it's true, the eventual HD DVDs will be the third incarnation of "uncut" we get here in the US (Ultimate Uncuts, FUNi boxed sets, and whatever comes next). If I hear something along the lines of "Super Extra Uncut," I'm going to shoot somebody.

THE CONTEST: Well, I didn't win. But oh well. Congrats to Miguel A. Arianno(sp?) for his score of some fantastic swag. But on another note, just so this can be clarified for the future-- was I supposed to put my real name on the entry? Or did the drawing just happen to favor someone who put his?

Meh.

THE NEXT 52: So now we have your misson statement. Is that what you would call it? It's been so long since I listened to the first episode that I can't remember how it went back then, but it was interesting to hear the opening bit concerning the history each of you had to provide; it's nice to see your credentials, so to speak. It's stuff that you can't normally advertise without sounding self-absorbed, but as someone who was curious anyway it's nice that you found an excuse.

Regarding the actual content for next year . . . well, it's one thing to have a sense of where you want to go and what you'd like to do, but are you guys telling us that you already have specific guests and ideas in mind, possibly even lined up? (Retro game reviews? At last!) That's a lot of enthusiasm.

Well, I'm glad for this-- it's a revealing insight into just how much you three are enjoying yourselves, and it will be interesting to see just how far you can take it while still keeping things fresh and fun. With the release of these season sets, you'll have plenty of news, but the rest is up to you! What WILL you come up with?

I'll be listening to find out.

EDIT: Getting Mr. Simmons to sit in on the Podcast is no small feat. An interesting story of how this was accomplished against all odds there is, maybe . . . ?
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:01 am

Funny, the little thing about Curtis Hoffman (and coincidentally, the Kevin Caldwell reference) reminded me far too much about a thread/noobie question I had about a year ago

Awesome podcast. Happy anniversary. Here's to plenty more *raises glass*

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:46 am

Schweet! *will listen tonight*
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:52 am

I won't get to listen til tomorrow afternoon (I have school til 3:30 tommorow) but I totally called it on who the special guest would be. X3 http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=20

EDIT: Someone guessed it a page before me in said thread. What I get for not reading the earlier pages. Still--*high fives other person who guessed correctly before her*. :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:10 am

Steven was an awesome guest. :)

The podcast was so awesome that my computer froze and it STILL played and I listened to the whole thing. :shock: