Episode #0052 (19 November 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:55 pm

Congrats on anniversary, i dont know what i would ever have done if you guys stopped making podcats! As for the episode itself, it was pretty good. While i wasnt that interested in all the subjects there was some interesting information. Cool that you got Steven J. Simmons on the episode, he's a pretty cool guy! :D I was dissapointed you didnt do E-mails, Top 5's, and ABC's but it was still a good episode!

The pictures everyone is making to celebrate the anniversart are all great. If i had a good photomaking program i'd make one but sadly i doesnt have one. :?

I always tought they said "Grand sponsor of christmas" - Mike. Haha! Thats fucking win, man! :D

Here's hoping for another year of podcast episodes and more! :wink:
Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Jump Ultimate Stars (DS).
Currently obsessed with: Death Note, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Busou Renkin

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:01 pm

First of all I have to give a HUGE thanks to Daimao, now that I've heard that story. I knew they brought him on the staff along with his interest in DBZ in the first place, but I hadn't realized that that was part of the chain of events leading up to what FUNimation has become in this day and age. If that didn't happen, we wouldn't have what we have today as far as what we're given in the U.S. related to not just DBZ, but just about everything else that FUNimation has aquired, and Steve really nice job with the series you've scripted the subtitles for. I've seen a nice bit of your work at this point, and it's really good stuff.

I go back every so often and listen to the first episode of the podcast, and I keep forgetting how different things were back when it first started out. I remember casually coming to the site one day, seeing the first episode put on the website, downloaded it, and didn't realize it would be one of the most common things I listen to over the week. As I said in my audio e-mail, I work on flash movies a LOT, and without the podcast to keep me company as I work, I'd be VERY bored. I've listened to many of the past episodes several times, and they're always entertaining to listen to. So awesome job to you guys, and everyone else involved with the podcast over to the past year. Look forward to the next year, and many more.

Sorry I wasn't able to make a picture in celebration this time around. Also, apologies for any of the past annoyances I may've caused.

future_trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by future_trunks » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:31 pm

Congrads on one year of the podcast.

I started listening about 4 months into it and I have had a lot of fun with it.

Steve Simmons is now officialy on my hero list.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:21 am

I always tought they said "Grand sponsor of christmas
Oh yeah that was hilarious and then Julian says it in Japanese and says he always hears that. Then Mike says..... wait for it....

Mike: .... That's because you're Julian... and a very strange man.

:P
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:23 am

Massive congradulations on the first anniversary of the podcast. I'm a bit of a lurker these days but I DO listen to each and every podcast as they come out, and they never cease to make me smile. Congradulations on the first year guys, you've done truly awesome work, here's to another year of the best Dragon Ball podcast out there (and one of my favorates period)!

I'd do an image but it wouldn't be very good. This epiusode however was awesome, nice to hear Mr. Simmon's take on things, and the remastered DBZ news while not NEW was still nice to hear all we knew. Here's to hoping they look good.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:30 pm

I also used to think it was "sponser of Christmas" or somthing about a sponser and Christmas. My friends thought that, too. They'd be like: "Christmas?".
Last edited by linkdude20002001 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:41 pm

Mystic Jack wrote:
Oh yeah that was hilarious and then Julian says it in Japanese and says he always hears that. Then Mike says..... wait for it....
"Kono bangumi wa, goran no suponsaa no teikyou de o-okuri shimasu."
:x
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:15 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Mystic Jack wrote:
Okay - !newb alert! I have no idea what anyone is talking about. Can somone fill me in so I can make fun of someone? :cry:

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:11 am

At the start of a lot of anime when broadcast in Japan after the main titles they have a message which thanks the shows sponsers, or Santa depending who you beleive. 8)
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:56 am

desirecampbell wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:
Mystic Jack wrote: Oh yeah that was hilarious and then Julian says it in Japanese and says he always hears that. Then Mike says..... wait for it....
Okay - !newb alert! I have no idea what anyone is talking about. Can somone fill me in so I can make fun of someone? :cry:
"Kono bangumi wa, goran no suponsaa no teikyou de o-okuri shimasu" means "This programme, is brought to you by the following sponsors". Some might think it's "This programme, is brought to you by the grand sponser O Christmas".

I said it in Japanese out loud and my mom thought I was talking about Christmas.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 pm

I'm afraid I came in a little late (I need to start listening to the Podcast again), but I *had* to listen to this one when I heard Steve Simmons was the guest of honor.

But holy crap, it's *really* weird to hear Mike mention EarthBound/MOTHER. That game series is my "other" obsession, and hearing that was like a crossover of my two favorite worlds.

I could go on and on about it, but linkdude20002001 already covered it :) Yeah, I can't wait for Tomato's Mother 3 translation. I was so distraught when Nintendo of America said they wouldn't be bringing it to the States. Of course, I imported it when it came out, but for it to stay in Japan just makes the MOTHER series that much more of a distant thing that none of my American friends know about.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:30 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:I'm afraid I came in a little late (I need to start listening to the Podcast again), but I *had* to listen to this one when I heard Steve Simmons was the guest of honor.

But holy crap, it's *really* weird to hear Mike mention EarthBound/MOTHER. That game series is my "other" obsession, and hearing that was like a crossover of my two favorite worlds.

I could go on and on about it, but linkdude20002001 already covered it :) Yeah, I can't wait for Tomato's Mother 3 translation. I was so distraught when Nintendo of America said they wouldn't be bringing it to the States. Of course, I imported it when it came out, but for it to stay in Japan just makes the MOTHER series that much more of a distant thing that none of my American friends know about.
It's going to get translated in Europe by Nintendo of Europe, and that includes England. You should import it from England when it comes out.
­

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Taku128 wrote:
kenisu3000 wrote:I'm afraid I came in a little late (I need to start listening to the Podcast again), but I *had* to listen to this one when I heard Steve Simmons was the guest of honor.

It's going to get translated in Europe by Nintendo of Europe, and that includes England. You should import it from England when it comes out.
Oh... yeah... I heard about that but forgot about it. I think I will import it. Though Europe still isn't America where me and all my friends are, and that still makes it some distant overseas thing.

SO... yeah... DragonBall! How about them DVDs?
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:32 pm

Kenisu, wouldn't it be cool if Tomato got to be a special guest like Daimao? I remember Tomato talking about translating Dragon Ball on the Starmen.net forums a long time ago. All I remember was him saying he would like to go back and retranslate the earlier episodes of Dragon Ball.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:08 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Kenisu, wouldn't it be cool if Tomato got to be a special guest like Daimao? I remember Tomato talking about translating Dragon Ball on the Starmen.net forums a long time ago. All I remember was him saying he would like to go back and retranslate the earlier episodes of Dragon Ball.
Yeah, but we MOTHER fans all know Clyde has his hands so full right now he can probably barely even stand up :)
I'm searching the SM.net forums right now for his commentary on translating DragonBall :)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:46 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Kenisu, wouldn't it be cool if Tomato got to be a special guest like Daimao? I remember Tomato talking about translating Dragon Ball on the Starmen.net forums a long time ago. All I remember was him saying he would like to go back and retranslate the earlier episodes of Dragon Ball.
Yeah, but we MOTHER fans all know Clyde has his hands so full right now he can probably barely even stand up :)
I'm searching the SM.net forums right now for his commentary on translating DragonBall :)
It was in "Anime and Manga World of Board". I've looked before and I couldn't find it. I hope you can, though. :)

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:02 pm

Sorry about that Julian, but I couldn't make it out, the audio was crap on my comp. :oops:
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:12 am

Cool podcast. Congratulations on 52 episodes, and a full year. Just 1 more episode, and ytou get to get all-new voice actors, and start showing blood! OK, I'm a bit late, but no one else made that joke.

I was surprised to hear that Daimao-sama is LDS. That is so cool :-)

Keep up the good work. I hope I can still listen after another year.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun May 13, 2007 4:08 pm

Hope I don't get penalized for "necro-posting" but I didn't listen to this podcast until this morning. I'd just like to say that Mr. Simmons' interview has struck a chord for me since I started out in the translation business in a somewhat similar way. Although I translate Chinese to English and not Japanese, I started out as a typical fanboy posting on the internet. Fortunately for me, I'm not required to fill in the time code. In my case, it's already been done for me since most of the time, I don't have a copy of the actual footage I work on. Although, I would receive a partial or full audio clip of it. After all, they are dvd commentaries ...receiving the full video is pretty pointless. I would also be recommended to fill my translations to Microsoft Excel where they would have everything transferred to a subtitle file over in Hong Kong. I've also been given these subtiling programs to test my subtitle tracks to the video footage but I rarely use it. Sentence structure and length is also something I have to consider as well. Like Mr. Simmons said, it's not that easy.

However, for a CBC (Canadian-born Chinese) to get a job to translate Chinese to English is absolutely more than a miracle. Not many overseas-born Chinese are able to read their native language and I'm glad Jackie Chan was keen enough to give me this opportunity for my work. I've ended up working on his latest movies for 2 consecutive years. That's "The Myth" and "Rob-B-Hood". To be frank, this wouldn't have been made possible if it weren't for the Dragon Ball manga which kept me motivated to read in Chinese when Chinese school wasn't helping much.

Anyway, I know necro-posting is against the rules here so I apologiz e in advance for any inconvenience but there had to be a place for me to have my say.
The world is your's.