For its 10th anniversary, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is returning to movie theaters in USA

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: For its 10th anniversary, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is returning to movie theaters in USA

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:08 am

The fact that it's been 10 years since Battle of Gods, is scary to me. I hope that lots of people come out to see it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: For its 10th anniversary, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is returning to movie theaters in USA

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:17 am

I wish this could happen in Ireland, or at least the UK. Manga UK probably would have done it as they liked doing one-off screenings of movies that weren't new, like Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie.

Fathom Events were also been behind the 2018 theatrical releases of Bardock : The Father of Goku and Broly : The Legendary Super Saiyan to promote Super Broly, and went out of their way to acquire the TOEI remasters, which was really neat. It showed faith in earlier installments of the series or previously released content, which I think is important for a long running series.

Battle of Gods was the only revival era that didn't get a theatrical release, although Chris Sabat screened it at Nom Con in 2014. I'm still nostalgic for those days and the hype about Dragon Ball being back. I don't know if anything will ever match that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:02 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:17 am .

Battle of Gods was the only revival era that didn't get a theatrical release, although Chris Sabat screened it at Nom Con in 2014.
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but it definitely did get a theatrical release

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:02 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:17 am .

Battle of Gods was the only revival era that didn't get a theatrical release, although Chris Sabat screened it at Nom Con in 2014.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant, but it definitely did get a theatrical release
Sorry, should have specified. I was referring to movies that got theatrical releases in Ireland and the UK. Battle of Gods got a single screening at the Scotland Loves Animation festival in 2014, but wasn't released in theatres here. I know it had a brief run in the US though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:40 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:17 amFathom Events were also been behind the 2018 theatrical releases of Bardock : The Father of Goku and Broly : The Legendary Super Saiyan to promote Super Broly
Fusion Reborn as well.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:37 pm

Nice! Ten years later, and it's still one of my favorite Dragon Ball films. Unfortunately, I won't be going to this since it's only the English dub being screened.

I was hoping the distributors would be more open to screening Dragon Ball content in Japanese with subtitles. Crunchyroll did it for Super Hero's theatrical run in the US and it was awesome!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:22 pm

I know that it's only a 2 day thing, but if there's no sub showings then that's a fat no for me. I saw the dub screening back in 2014, and I'd rather see it subbed if I'm going to pay to see it in theaters again.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.