Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:37 pm

About this talk about a canonized SS4, I would not be surprised given how the last two movies were basically just the Android saga 2.0 and the first Broly movie again, but with some details changed. The comparisons to GT are obvious, but I wonder if those will dissipate once we get some actual story information. It feels like it could go either way. I've heard that SS4 was a design Toriyama approved of, so maybe like Bardock's TV special inspiring Minus, he'll use this as a way to make his own version. On the other hand, this is supposed to be a return to the series' roots, isn't it? Transformations would go against that, but they're also...very marketable.

Do I want SS4 to happen in Daima? No. Not really. I've been saying for a while that they already have the perfect candidate for that form, Broly. Yes, I know that he has that yellow-eyed form that is similar to SS4, but it's not the same thing, and it just proves my point. The Super version of Broly is a wild boy. The god forms wouldn't suit him, but SS4, with its beastial features? That would be perfect for him. So assuming they have plans for Broly in the future, it makes sense to give him SS4. Giving the transformation to Goku, when he already has so many transformations, seems like kind of a waste. And if this series is supposed to take place before Super, then we'd have to ask why Goku never used the transformation against Beerus.

No, keep the transformations out of Daima. While I obviously enjoy transformations, I also see them as a crutch for the series. When used incorrectly, as Super frequently did, transformations are not satisfying. With the original Super Saiyan form, it was built up over time, so seeing it appear didn't feel like it was out of nowhere. It felt narratively satisfying. By contrast, when Trunks pulls out his...I forget what it's even called. Super Saiyan with a blue aura over it. It shows up out of nowhere and leaves no impact. All it does is allow Trunks to quickly catch up with Goku and Vegeta. And then there's Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan: Evolution. Again, shows up out of nowhere after Goku already showed off a better transformation. He doesn't do anything interesting with it. Even Gohan's new Beast form doesn't do anything for me. It, once again, shows up out of nowhere, with no explanation. He at least does cool things with it, but it just feels like Super Saiyan 2 without the build-up.

At this point, seeing new transformations show up feels like having keys jingled in front of my face. They feel kinda...insulting to me now. It's like being infantilized.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:52 pm

I swear to Kami, Toriyama "Canonizing" Broli was a Pandora's box, now everyone just expects popular stuff from the movies and GT to get the Toriyama treatment. We don't need Super Saiyan 4 in Dragon Ball Daima or any other
Dragon Ball series not named GT.

I'm hoping for no transformations in Daima but I have a feeling Bandai will push for some if the Chibi Dragon Ball Team toys aren't selling

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:52 pm We don't need Super Saiyan 4 in Dragon Ball Daima or any other Dragon Ball series not named GT.
Well we already got it in another Dragon Ball series named Heroes :twisted:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:01 pm

Heroes is the equivalent of taking two action figures and smashing them together. Anything goes. It doesn't count. lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:09 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:39 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:52 pm We don't need Super Saiyan 4 in Dragon Ball Daima or any other Dragon Ball series not named GT.
Well we already got it in another Dragon Ball series named Heroes :twisted:
What ZeroNeonix said. I'm not counting Dragon Ball Yu-gi-oh

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:24 pm

But Yuugi-Ou is funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

God, I wish Heroes had the time to actually be fleshed out and handled well. I really like the concepts at play. Those first two arcs of the anime were so close to being good.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:06 pm

I finally got to see all of the Daima stuff yesterday, and while the animation was utterly gorgeous and it was interesting to see the younger forms of Krillin, Chi-Chi, #18, Hercule, and Buu(!!), I feel like Daima has REALLY got to get around to showing off at least a bit of this series' story already.

I hate to say it, but what we were given on Sunday... I don't think it'll do much to temper all of those 'Daima is just GT 2.0.' complaints.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:07 pm

I agree, but I think the "I wish Heroes had the time to develop better stories" part was quite ironic, because they actually have the time to do that, I guess?
Heroes (before Yamamuro and his gang decided to take a break) was 7 minutes long per episode and they were released without any pattern, sometimes it was monthly, other times you had to wait more than 2 months for another episode.
If a weekly anime that never has a hiatus between episodes (all of them 20 minutes long) can deliver better stories, then I don't know what is necessary for Heroes to be able to do the same, so I believe they don't deliver something better simply because they don't believe they need to do it.
Unless there really is a reason that prevents Heroes stories from being good and I'm not aware of it. I don't know much about that series and the video game part even less.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:52 pm I swear to Kami, Toriyama "Canonizing" Broli was a Pandora's box, now everyone just expects popular stuff from the movies and GT to get the Toriyama treatment. We don't need Super Saiyan 4 in Dragon Ball Daima or any other
Dragon Ball series not named GT.
Agreed. Broly and Gogeta becoming "canonized" doesn't add anything in and of itself. We did get a good character out of the new Broly, but let's be honest: That character didn't need to be Broly, he could have easily been a new Saiyan character. Kale already did the "based on Broly" thing, but then just make up a new character and BS some new powers for them, ass pulls are pretty much Toriyama's thing anyway.

Gogeta is even more egregious since he's the same character as Vegetto just with a different name and the Potara was retconned into not being permanent for Goku and Vegeta. Toriyama could have easily just used Vegetto and little would change. At most Goku would have to teleport to the Kaioshin realm to get some Potara earrings from the Kaioshin.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:28 am

Can we pleeeeease talk about the very-similar-to-Blue-Dragon's-Nene symbol used by the soldiers?

Your thoughs about it? For me it fits perfectly the "rpg" vibes they are aiming for, even if a little bit selfplagiarizing from Toriyama/Bird.

PS: Is Toyotaro formally part of Bird Studio btw?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:54 am

I kind of wonder why they didn't try to develop a companion game for Daima, too, now that I think about it.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:30 am

I don't know much about the videogame territory, but I have the conviction that Bandai's duty since the revival of the series is to release at least one console game from the franchise every 2 years.

We had Battle of Z in 2013, Xenoverse in 2015, Xenoverse 2 released in 2016 but the game is basically the first one but bigger, Fighter Z in 2018, Kakarot in 2020, The Breakers in 2022 and now Sparking Zero supposedly in 2024. (Yes, I do remember SDBH World Mission in 2019, but it doesn't count)

Assuming they made a companion game for Daima with the same size as the previous ones, it would have to come out in 2024 and they would hold Sparking Zero for 2026.
Not to mention that games nowadays are very long and more expensive to make so they require a lot of time in development, if they made a game just focused on Daima, with the purpose of releasing it in 2024, so the game would have to be short, due to a short time in development since according to the information we have, Daima only started to be animated at the end of 2022, and Bandai needs to have a animated material as reference. A short game is not viable for modern Bandai, especially since all the games they release nowadays need to serve as a Game as a Service or at least guarantee that they can sell more content in DLCs.
A big game that doesn't follow these principles makes sense for a game like Sandland for example, but for a big, famous and profitable franchise like Dragon Ball, the best alternative for them is the other one.
It's what I believe.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:06 am

Since they're making everyone into kids, making Goku fight with his Power Pole again and all that, it would have made thematic sense and be pretty cool if they made a game for an older console like the Game Boy. Remember when McDonald's did that for Grimace? Like that.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:00 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:06 am Since they're making everyone into kids, making Goku fight with his Power Pole again and all that, it would have made thematic sense and be pretty cool if they made a game for an older console like the Game Boy. Remember when McDonald's did that for Grimace? Like that.
They should just add Grimace to the Dragon Ball universe, as many fans have begged for through the years. He could be related to Buu.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:07 pm

I don't think any Super Saiyan form will be in the show. I think they really go back to the rots of Goku fighting on his own without any power ups.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:30 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:27 pmAlso if the music here is actually several tracks edited together to fit what's on-screen then they really improved, it sounds like a unique cue when compared to the trailers from Battle of Gods or Broly.
The music in the trailer is not from Dragon Ball Daima. It's some sort of Royalty Free Music that YouTubers are also using in their videos. Take a look at this video from 2022 for example: https://youtu.be/GEUI6IEAuK0?t=5

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:46 pm

Oh, that's a relief. Perhaps they'll still select a good composer, then. 😆
She/Her
bisexual milf

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:37 am

True, recent anime trailers (closest example I can recall being WfM) sometimes use stock material that's not even in their BGM.
Along with leaving out the composer's name in the initial stages, of course.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:08 am

TheRed259 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:30 pm The music in the trailer is not from Dragon Ball Daima. It's some sort of Royalty Free Music that YouTubers are also using in their videos. Take a look at this video from 2022 for example: https://youtu.be/GEUI6IEAuK0?t=5
I should've expected for it, I suggested that this could be the case before but the fact that the songs in the two trailers sound so similar made me think that it could be original from the actual production. The first two trailers for Broly and Super Hero also used royalty free music so that's definitely a pattern. Thanks a lot ^^

Still nothing new in Sumitomo's website, so I still trust that it's going to be him.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:32 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:07 pm I don't think any Super Saiyan form will be in the show. I think they really go back to the rots of Goku fighting on his own without any power ups.
I agree that transformations probably won't be a big part of the show, but I'd be shocked if the finale didn't take advantage of the opportunity to make kid Goku go Super Saiyan. I predict it will only be used for the final battle, once he's forced to take things seriously.