Is the "Complete Illustrations" artbook by Viz still worth tracking down?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CuppaKofe

Is the "Complete Illustrations" artbook by Viz still worth tracking down?

Post by CuppaKofe » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:00 pm

Sorry if this is a redundant thread, the main site has no information on the English language releases of the data book material so I figured I should ask here.

I've been going through the lovely "Complete Visual History" book Viz put out several years ago. From what I can tell, it's based directly on "Dragon Ball Chōgashū: Super Art Collection" put out by Shueisha.

Just a little while ago, I discovered that viz had previously put out a book called "Dragon Ball: Complete Illustrations", that uses the cover design from the first Daizenshuu.

Is this book pretty much just the same contents, minus the additions added to the Super Art Collection? I love the look, but I can't find any information on if the there is any content not transfered over to the "Visual History" book.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Is the "Complete Illustrations" artbook by Viz still worth tracking down?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:00 pm

Yep, Viz's "The Complete Illustrations" from 2008 is indeed literally just the first Daizenshuu as-is: all the images, same pages, same info, interview, etc. No further Daizenshuu ever came from them.

"A Visual History" is likewise literally just the Chōgashū as-is: all the images, same pages, same info, interviews, etc.

As the Chōgashū is basically an updated version of the first Daizenshuu, I don't see a huge need to pick up the Daizenshuu (if you indeed have the Chōgashū) unless you're looking to just have every version of everything there is. There are a few images that are printed at different sizes between the two books, but that's really it.

Some relevant podcast reviews: we looked at the Japanese Chōgashū on #0333, and Viz's "Complete Illustrations" way back on #0143.

And good point on the no Viz release info on the respective guide pages -- I'll consider what we can add there, and maybe some of the other international editions, too (like the French Daizenshuu)!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:09 pm

The first Daizenshuu is the only one that was released in English, so for collector purposes you can't even collect them all unless you choose to buy them in Japanese.

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:00 pm Yep, Viz's "The Complete Illustrations" from 2008 is indeed literally just the first Daizenshuu as-is: all the images, same pages, same info, interview, etc. No further Daizenshuu ever came from them.

"A Visual History" is likewise literally just the Chōgashū as-is: all the images, same pages, same info, interviews, etc.

As the Chōgashū is basically an updated version of the first Daizenshuu, I don't see a huge need to pick up the Daizenshuu (if you indeed have the Chōgashū) unless you're looking to just have every version of everything there is. There are a few images that are printed at different sizes between the two books, but that's really it.

Some relevant podcast reviews: we looked at the Japanese Chōgashū on #0333, and Viz's "Complete Illustrations" way back on #0143.

And good point on the no Viz release info on the respective guide pages -- I'll consider what we can add there, and maybe some of the other international editions, too (like the French Daizenshuu)!
Thanks Mike! I was a bit skeptical considering Viz used the Kanzenban covers for their sub-par 3 in 1 releases.

I suppose it would make more sense to look into the Japanese releases if I really wanted to. Looking forward to seeing updates on the international versions if you end up working on those :D
Looking for the following Pioneer single: