New movie art removing characters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

New movie art removing characters

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:43 pm

But you don't understand how for the rereleaseof the old dragon ball and z movies they just changed the art, but in the process they removed characters.

if its blank then the only thing that was changed was Some few minor things.

Curse of the blood rubies: Remove the main villains and some of the main cast
Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle: Removed Goku's friends With the exception of krillin and removed the demons
Mystical Adventure:
Path to power: Same thing as OG movie 1 + Dinosaur removed
The original 4 films Changes Was more bad than good

Dead Zone: Removed piccolo! WHY!
The Worlds Strongest:
Tree of Might: Removed the most of the z fighters.
Lord Slug: Removed Piccolo, Gohan, and Krillin
Coolers Revenge:
The Retun of Cooler:
Super Android 13:
Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan: Removed Side characters
Bojack Unbound: Removed Krillin and Piccolo
Broly Second Coming:
Bio Broly: Removed 18
Fusion Reborn:
Wrath of the Dragon:
bardock the Father of Goku: Removed All of his team members and added frieza
The History of Trunks: Made a Completely different cover? I think?

I still don't understand about why They were removed. Why would you remove the villain out of the cover of the movie. they just remove and give you no hint about who the villains are.

coola
I Live Here

Re: New movie art removing characters

Post by coola » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:06 pm

On other hand, old DBZ Movie 4 poster had miscolored Angila :) Also love how every DVD/BD art kept Commander Zeeun, despite him being killed off by Slug (for calling him old) before they land on Earth :lol:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:39 pm

coola wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:06 pm On other hand, old DBZ Movie 4 poster had miscolored Angila :) Also love how every DVD/BD art kept Commander Zeeun, despite him being killed off by Slug (for calling him old) before they land on Earth :lol:
Gotta love even more how the art for Fukkatsu no 'F' features Tagoma, despite he being dispatched to space by Freeza and not even fighting in the movie, Shisami was the one to fight Piccolo & Gohan and he's not in the poster :lol:

Edit: forgot to respond the thread's question, well, I guess that was just Yamamuro being lazy, I mean, maybe these arts (the box arts for Funimation's 2011 Movie Collection Remasters) were made in a rush, so good old boy Yamamuro not only removed characters from a few of them but also made arts that look pretty mediocre, not only compared to the original movie posters, but also when compared to other arts made by himself in the 2000's onwards, these are just some of the several over-plasticized and rough ones he made.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:19 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:39 pmEdit: forgot to respond the thread's question, well, I guess that was just Yamamuro being lazy, I mean, maybe these arts (the box arts for Funimation's 2011 Movie Collection Remasters) were made in a rush
By the way, these covers were definitely used even before Funimation's DVD release and more specifically on the Greek DVD release in 2010: https://www.greekdubdb.com/search?q=dragon+ball

It's possible they were used in other releases as well so we don't know exactly when they started using these new posters.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:32 am

They're getting straight to the point:
Nobody except Goku & Vegeta, rarely Gohan & Piccolo, matters.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:53 am

For clarity as I see Yamamuro is being blamed for things he didn't do :lol:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:32 pm

It was only me and no one else, my bad, I can't believe how a lot of these uncredited ones exist.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:29 am

Ajay wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:53 am Image

Well whoever did those movie poster redraws, they look absolutely awful and ugly as sin just on their face. Even more so when you put them directly next to the originals, which still look incredible.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:23 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:29 am
Ajay wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:53 am Image

Well whoever did those movie poster redraws, they look absolutely awful and ugly as sin just on their face. Even more so when you put them directly next to the originals, which still look incredible.
They're known as "mumps" by the Japanese fans lmao

It amazes me how big an IP as DB is and they can't be bothered to hire multiple good artists, this person has been drawing for DB as far back as 2005 pehaps even further

They have 3 on going DB card games and yet still only have few artists only 1 good one... meanwhile OP has 1 card game and has multiple artists drawing including animators

Suppose this is par for the course when it comes to DB do everything as cheap as possible

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:45 pm

Yeesh, comparing the two is total night and day. You can tell the new versions of the original Z films' poster art are far inferior to the originals in composition and every other regard. It's like they more or less took the old school artwork and badly vector traced over it (to look more modern in convention with more recent stuff) as aside from the omission of characters and compositional changes the poses are otherwise identical in overall setup. They just scream cheap and lazy because even Yamamuro's art on the movie singles shown above looks much better than that.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)