Episode #0060 (14 January 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I typically don't link to YouTube stuff, but check out the Game Trailers awesome dissection of the Zelda chronology.
Dear god, that thing shows so much blatant disregard for things stated in the manuals it's not even funny. You know why A Link to the Past has it's name? Because it takes place in the "past", ie before the two other games that had been released at the time, Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link. It's also ignoring a plethora of other plot points, like the fact that the complete triforce is kept in Hyrule Castle in the Oracle games, which means that it can't take place at a time when Ganon had his piece (as well as the ridiculous conclusion that the two Oracle games take place in different timelines - yeah, that makes sense, now explain how the game you play first is referred to in the game you play next, and makes it absolutely clear that there is just one guy having both these quests, one after the other - did he even play these games?), a lot of references to the first meetings of the different Link and Zelda (the Link in LoZ is not someone who knew Zelda and Impa already, as made pretty clear in the manual), and a lot of plot inconsistencies (Ganon died in LoZ (no, not for the first time), but apparantly he's not only alive again in LttP, he also owns the entire Triforce AND is trapped in the Golden Land again for some reason - and the only reason he gives for putting it there is that "it takes place after Four Swords Adventure because of a minor detail, yet he doesn't give any reason at all why FSA takes place after AoL).

Bah, badly reseached crap that makes zero sense.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:24 pm

I'm sorry you feel that way about the Game Trailers work, but it's actually irrelevant to what my points were in the show.

I'm not saying that we've never made mistakes on the show (Daisuke Gori, for example), but at least we admit it and correct it when we do. I've heard so much more higher-quality work put out by general fans (not just in "nerdy" topics/podcasts, either), that it's pretty amusing to think about how the best editorial minds out there do it just because they love it.

It irritated me that people getting paid to talk about the subject couldn't come up with a single example in a discussion that was clearly planned out as a main news story for their episode. *shrugs* :wink:

On a totally different subject, my floor is now clean. Magazines are packed up and away. I still need to go through my decade's worth of GamePro issues, and various other magazines to see what else I can come up with. I'd like to do an expanded version of the accompanying podcast page as a full "Tidbit," in the future (as mentioned during the show).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:: I still need to go through my decade's worth of GamePro issues
Holy shit Mike, that's a hell of a lot of issues! Do you subscribe to all these magazines (NP, EGM, GP) or do you just pick them up montly? I bet you have a hell of a lot of video game posters. :P

DaftBrian

Speaking of Games

Post by DaftBrian » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:25 am

In the American version of Super DBZ, did anyone notice how the sound track sounds like "Reel Bass Fishing" soundtrack for the Dreamcast? I would be surprised if anyone remembers that.
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Space Coyote

Post by Space Coyote » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:09 am

I remember seeing ads for Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout in EGM, along with a review (I think Mortal Kombat 4 was featured on the cover with Raiden looking menacing, but I could be wrong), however this was before I was a fan of the show. When I did become a fan, I was really ticked that I missed that limited pressing, so I imported the game. I sure had fun with it, even though it's a weak half-baked game.

I think what you all were saying about the death of good game journalism is interesting, and you guys really hit the nail on the head when you discussed the over-saturation that occurred with the advent of the popularization of the internet, with the rise of gaming web sites like IGN.com. I edit the A&E section of the newspaper here at my college, and when we kicked off our new layout last year, some people from the local papers here in Memphis spoke on journalism and other related topics. One speaker from the Memphis Flyer talked about how he felt that reading newspapers and magazines will eventually be quaint, trendy and retro, much like listening to music on a vinyl player. I really prefer reading magazines, although I get most of my world news online at sites like Drudge Report, which is one site that sort of epitomizes this online journalistic culture (along with other sites like Aintitcool.com).

I also remember when gaming magazines used to devote coverage towards Japanese games. While gaming mags still cover some Japanese games, however it usually only gets like half a page. Like you guys were saying, anime was sort of a niche culture then, and shows like Dragon Ball only enjoyed a cult following in the U.S., and like all great cult things, corporations have found a way to market and sell it in large quantities, thus causing it to lose its mystique (like Meri said, it got "kiddie-fied"). That's why it's sort of en vogue to hate really mainstream anime here in America like Dragon Ball Z, since it's lost its hip, obscure nature. But as we all know, people who follow those trends aren't true fans! :wink: But anyways, by this point, Dragon Ball Z games are yesterdays news to gaming journalists, and since we have those games here, covering foreign releases just seems pointless to them I suppose.

Anyways, I don't know if I really added anything to the discussion regarding this episode, I just thought that the topic was hella interesting, and I decided to pop my two cents in there.
Last edited by Space Coyote on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maker777
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Maker777 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:21 am

IGN should be munged for not thinking of handheld sequels. There are like a Buh-gillion like FF series, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Zelda and Kingdom Hearts just to name a few.
[b]Mr.Pedestrian[/b]
[url=http://www.users.on.net/~mateen/][b]Shnay Krew[/b][/url]
[url=http://mrpedestrian.deviantart.com/][b]DeviArt[/b][/url] || [url=http://www.myspace.com/_1_a][b]MySpace[/b][/url]

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:01 am

I have an old Gamepro that had the standard Goku flying at you picture in the front and they were basically running down Dragonball Z and all of its games as of 2001, I believe. You probably mentioned this magazine in the podcast but I'm not too sure. Speaking of the "family friendly podcast", I decided to play it in the car when I was driving with my brother yesterday.. :roll: It was a 40 minute drive. Anime blowup dolls.
-Rick
* abacabb- Mortal Kombat for Genesis and down,up, left, left, A, right down- Debug code* up, down, left, right, start- Sonic 1* up, down, left, right, B, A, Select Select, Start: Contra and possibly every 80s game. Now, Deftones..This is all by memory; I need a day job...
Last edited by Mr.Piccolo on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:45 pm

Yeah, the GameTrailers timeline is a little screwed up. But it's still a great website. The only reason people think ALttP is a prequel is because of the title (in Japan it was just "Triforce of the Gods") and a mistranslation on the back of the box. But I digress.

I've also been subscribed to GamePro since 1997. But my intrest with them has disappeared in recent years... The fact that they'll put mediocre games like Legacy of Goku and Family Guy on the cover just shows that they want to sell more issues instead of taking themselves seriously. Their reviews are questionable (Xenogears = 2.5?!?).

If I had to pick the best game magazine, it'd probably be Game Informer.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:28 pm

GI_Judd2287 wrote:Their reviews are questionable (Xenogears = 2.5?!?).
As much as I love Xenogears, you've gotta admit that they were obviously rushed with the 2nd half of the game (which is a damn shame). I'm not sure which is worse though, that or the blatantly horrible censorship in XS3 (which reminds me of Saban's take on DBZ, "Oh my God, look at all this (removed) blood!" >_>;;;)

-Corey

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:12 pm

Your nostalgia makes me feel old and young at the same time. Old enough to recall the posters in the magazines and the fanart aired on weekday Toonami, but young enough not to remember a single thing about the magazines talking about import games. I was in elementary school and more interested in cheat codes and stuff that could make my character fly or open audio sounds 'n such. (Debug mode; but I didn't know that's what it was called back then).

Ah, Up C Down C Left C Right C hold and press Start. :mrgreen:
I only wish I could remember what game that was from....the original Sonic maybe?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:35 pm

Chuquita wrote:Ah, Up C Down C Left C Right C hold and press Start. :mrgreen:
I only wish I could remember what game that was from....the original Sonic maybe?
It's actually 'Hold A and Press Start', but yeah. Debug code, Sonic 1 ;p

-Corey

P.S. - ABBACAB, Start.

DaftBrian

I know

Post by DaftBrian » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:20 pm

Thats the Mortal Kombat 1 for sega genesis?
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

MajinVejitaXV

Re: I know

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:30 pm

DaftBrian wrote:Thats the Mortal Kombat 1 for sega genesis?
Nah, Mortal Kombat's blood code was ABACABB. What I posted was Shadowrun for the Genesis' debug code.

-Corey

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:07 pm

Adamant wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I typically don't link to YouTube stuff, but check out the Game Trailers awesome dissection of the Zelda chronology.
Dear god, that thing shows so much blatant disregard for things stated in the manuals it's not even funny. You know why A Link to the Past has it's name? Because it takes place in the "past", ie before the two other games that had been released at the time, Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link.
The real name of the game is ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース, Zeruda no Densetsu: Kamigami no Toraifōsu (The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods). It doesn't have to be before the other two games that were out at the time just because Nintendo of America called it "A Link to the Past".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 pm

*cough*cough* So, yeah.... Dragon Ball forum? Great, uh, podcast Mike. Please keep Andrew in his cage from now on :D

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:48 am

Seeing how this episode brought up gaming news from back in the day, I think this link will be useful. You do a search and you get old gaming ads from US and Japan. (Look at the US version of Link's Awakening compared to the JPN one :) ). -Also-As for Dragonball, type in 'Dragon Ball Z' for results.
-Rick
Last edited by Mr.Piccolo on Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:06 am

Mr.Piccolo wrote:Seeing how this episode brought up gaming news from back in the day, I think this link will be useful. You do a search and you get old gaming ads from US and Japan. (Look at the US version of Link's Awakening compared to the JPN one :) ).
-Rick
Haha! The "toilet paper" comercial for UB22 was classic! 8)
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

future_trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by future_trunks » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:58 am

Great podcast as usual guys :D I'm starting to miss Julian though.

COME BACK JULIAN!!!
Cuz you're an ocean, you're an ocean, settle down settle down what's the commotion?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:52 am

You do a search and you get old gaming ads from US and Japan. (Look at the US version of Link's Awakening compared to the JPN one

I love Japanese commercials there so odd. Anyone remeber Zelda: The musical!?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wEO1Zs_T6H4& ... ed&search=