Desperate Dragon Box Finding Plea

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dasmith
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dasmith » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:43 am

JesseD wrote:I'm a 'up the wall' fan.
From what I've seen, there's no doubt about it -- you're a pretty outrageous fan :)

Seriously, good luck finding what you're looking for

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:20 am

Corey: Daizenshuu and Dragonboxes aren't the same thing though, though if there was a re-release of the Z sets it still wouldn't be for another year.

Point is, the Japanese are pretty nutso over collectable things, and the Dragonboxes do retain a lot of collectability to them. Fist of the north Star TV got reprinted in boxset form after the intial box and singles, and isn't as popular as Dragonball (though very close). Then again it has a movie version out now (and still going) so that explains it, but there have been instances of limited edition boxsets going back in to print, if only on a preorder basis, because the property still continues to smash sales.

I mean, it's not like Toei/pony Canyon dug themselves in to a "limited to only 10,000!" hole.

Black Mist
Beyond Newbie

Post by Black Mist » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:36 pm

So ETC you suggest he finds a cheaper alternative for a huge amount of DBZ content hmm... It would appear that the largest and cheapest form of DBZ now is the widescreen edition. The one you believe no fan should buy. Oh snap! You just got PWNED!
Black Mist: B team
I am also a respected podcast audio emailer.Listen to my adventures with my sidekick B in nintedo.theretrocast.com.Or just random stuff at www.onholdpodcast.com

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Please listen to me. I know what this is like. Say you get the Dragonboxes. Whoopy. Afterwards, you've reached the highest pinnacle you want and then... nothing.
Then you start a podcast :lol:
Just kidding! I love you guys!

How much would it cost if you bought all the Dragonball Z singles?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Black Mist wrote:So ETC you suggest he finds a cheaper alternative for a huge amount of DBZ content hmm... It would appear that the largest and cheapest form of DBZ now is the widescreen edition. The one you believe no fan should buy. Oh snap! You just got PWNED!
"Snap" indeed.

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:18 pm

Drabaz wrote:
Please listen to me. I know what this is like. Say you get the Dragonboxes. Whoopy. Afterwards, you've reached the highest pinnacle you want and then... nothing.
Then you start a podcast :lol:
Just kidding! I love you guys!
Black Mist wrote:So ETC you suggest he finds a cheaper alternative for a huge amount of DBZ content hmm... It would appear that the largest and cheapest form of DBZ now is the widescreen edition. The one you believe no fan should buy. Oh snap! You just got PWNED!
That was pretty funny, I actually laughed out loud. When looking at the prices, I wouldn't spend that much on Dragonball. Get the singles with the episodes you want and if you want to complete the whole collection, go after the singles later on. Or you could get the season sets. Believe it or not, they won't kill you but it'll make you a horrible fan and a terrible person.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:26 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote: Or you could get the season sets. Believe it or not, they won't kill you but it'll make you a horrible fan and a terrible person.
-Rick
Remember, folks! Only murderers, rapists, and Pope abusers buy the FUNimation season sets!

EDIT - [/sarcasm]
Last edited by Kaboom on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:36 am

Nice job taking it out of context, you didn't realise that I'm not advocating taking THE cheapest route, I'm suggesting taking A cheaper route. Options include the R3 DBZ release (which may or may not be cheaper depending on how many sets R1 has), the DBZ singles (because while the single prices and the RPP of the boxes are very close, the markup on used/for sale Dragonboxes is still fairly big, also taking in to account you'll need to pay a courier service and such to buy it on Amazon for you), the Spanish releases (saturated? yes. Violated? Not entirely).

Sorry guys, you ALMOST had me. Try again next time :)
Remember, folks! Only murderers, rapists, and Pope abusers buy the FUNimation season sets!
Oh so eloquent :)

Edit: I'm also going to doublly 'snap' back at you by saying that the FUNimation release is by far NOT the cheapest release around. For example, Yesasia have three Dragonball Z boxsets (roughly 12 discs or so per set, give or take a few) for around $101 each. lets say they're $310 for arguments sake- that's the highest price they'll be, and yesasia still charge slightly above the RRP of R2/R3 DVDs!. The RRP on FUNimation's sets, which number to be about eight, is $50 USD per set, placing it at $400 or so. For those who argue "well, i got it for $XX, look in the right places!", we'll apply a 42.5% discount (offered at places such as Deepdiscount and DVDpacific), which is the fairly common, standard discount- brings it down to $230. However, this figure doesn't even count considering that it's on an incredibly steep handicap.

Sure, the R3 Dragonball Z releases are a second wave after 11 or so sets that were more expensive, but atleast those were complete- the season sets are a follow-on release of a stupidly expensive, bad looking release which never, ever finished.

so ;)

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:16 am

ETC123 wrote:Corey: Daizenshuu and Dragonboxes aren't the same thing though, though if there was a re-release of the Z sets it still wouldn't be for another year.
Of course they're not the same thing. My point was merely that viability in the market doesn't necessarily equal a guarantee of production.
but there have been instances of limited edition boxsets going back in to print, if only on a preorder basis, because the property still continues to smash sales.
Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? I seriously doubt it, at the very least until the singles for the entire trilogy and movies are done. Which would be what, another two years or so? And then, what would be the point? All the early adopters/"hardcore" collectors would have the boxes already whereas the normal buyers would get the volumes they wanted and be satisfied as well.
I mean, it's not like Toei/pony Canyon dug themselves in to a "limited to only 10,000!" hole.
Too true. I'm not saying there's no way in hell, I'm just saying don't bank on it.
Would you sell your Dragon Boxes Corey?
Oh hell no. I would never sell my DragonBoxes or Daizenshuu.

-Corey

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:03 pm

Besides celga and other proxy bidding services, your best bet is to find some person who's desperate for the money and get the boxes for much cheaper.

I think one person here was able to get the first DBZ box for around $700 since the seller said it was just gathering dust in his closet.

However, these people only show up once in a blue moon. :?

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:44 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I think one person here was able to get the first DBZ box for around $700 since the seller said it was just gathering dust in his closet.
I think I made a deal with the devil, since I got mine off eBay for $300 US on June 21, 2003. That was only 3 months after it's release, so I got incredibly lucky there. After the first one I was hooked! :D

I don't remember exactly why he was selling it, but I got it from Elnoyle. It's weird because his set was the first to be "critiqued" in North America, and to this day I use that exact same box set for comparison pics against FUNi releases. :P I was on the OA forums back then and I remeber vividly thinking the Dragon Box looked like shit against FUNi's release, as did most others. :oops: But I guess that was just the typical response back then...
http://www.shadowsofnamek.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=19140
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:21 am

DBW wrote:I was on the OA forums back then and I remeber vividly thinking the Dragon Box looked like shit against FUNi's release, as did most others. :oops: But I guess that was just the typical response back then...
Yeah, even today people say the same crap sadly. Oh well, their loss :P

-Corey

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:24 am

DBW wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:I think one person here was able to get the first DBZ box for around $700 since the seller said it was just gathering dust in his closet.
I think I made a deal with the devil, since I got mine off eBay for $300 US on June 21, 2003. That was only 3 months after it's release, so I got incredibly lucky there. After the first one I was hooked! :D

I don't remember exactly why he was selling it, but I got it from Elnoyle. It's weird because his set was the first to be "critiqued" in North America, and to this day I use that exact same box set for comparison pics against FUNi releases. :P I was on the OA forums back then and I remeber vividly thinking the Dragon Box looked like shit against FUNi's release, as did most others. :oops: But I guess that was just the typical response back then...
I posted in that thread?! :shock:

I did have the chance to get one back in 2003, but it was either that or a plane ticket to Texas for Akon. I went with the plane ticket.

I do plan on getting the boxes from celga or somewhere next year. I might sell my R2 singles by that time.