Episode #0079 (27 May 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0079 (27 May 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 27, 2007 4:11 pm

Episode #0079 (download MP3)
32:26; 64 kbps, mono; 14.8 MB

Episode #0079! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss the big news of the "Sparking! METEOR" ("Budokai Tenkaichi 3") announcement. What are we looking forward to? What will it take to win us over this time? Can it even interest some of us in the least? Top 5 drastic character design changes, your e-mails, and more round out the episode. Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the splendid *seventy-nine* episodes, now.

Here you go! Let's talking about the Booty-Kye! I really don't know what text to put down here... we recorded the episode almost a week ago :P. Hopefully it's still relevant, makes sense, and is enjoyable!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun May 27, 2007 4:19 pm

Downloading right now. I'm interested to see what's going to happen with this game. Hopefully they can make some big changes to make it more interesting.

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Sun May 27, 2007 6:02 pm

The ending is painful...yet funny.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun May 27, 2007 6:09 pm

I agree that there are too many Dragon Ball fighting games and that they should stem off and do something more wacky like the Mario Party series (and Mario franchise in general) has done. Even though I'm not that big of a fan of sports videogames, I might check it out if it were with the Dragon Ball characters. And I remember someone on the forums suggesting a DBZ version of DDR. So yeah, down with the fighting games and up with the wacky.

For the Top five list, the only character with a drastic change I could think of was Kuririn. And when Meri was describing Freeza, I was expecting Assassin Tao. Also, Gohan's been through quite the number of drastic changes, too (bowl cut, long hair, teenager, adult...), so I would have preferred him on the list instead of Broly, though I understand why he'd be on the list, too. But if we're counting transformations on the list, I think SSJ3, Coola's final form, and Hildegarn should be up there, too.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Sun May 27, 2007 7:22 pm

Hmm interesting.

I can't remember though, which platform did you play it on? I played the first Sparking (err.. Budokai Tenkaiichi) on PS2, and like you I thought it was underwhelming.

I'd probably have had the same feelings for Sparking Neo, but given my desire to test my new shiny Wii, I discovered the Wii version was a lot more fun then any other game in the series. There is actually some guilty fanboy pleasure out of mimicking a Kamehameha and watching it happen on screen (same with "special beam canon" and "destructo disc" which I do not know the spelling to the japanese names).

This new one's got nothing that interests me though. Watch them announce the Fish fighter from the Other World Tournament, and see me not caring.

Be wary of DBZ party games. Four words, One Piece: Pirates Carnival.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun May 27, 2007 7:25 pm

Meri: "He's dead, Jim."

Yeah, it's just me and Mike who liked that board game-esque story-mode in Budokai 2. I always liked that the story would change, if only ever so slightly, depending on where I moved and who I fought and with which character. Yeah, the Majin Cell and Buu (w/freeza) stuff reeked of bad fan fiction - but I'm used to bad fan fiction by now :P

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun May 27, 2007 8:22 pm

Pretty good podcast, guys. Good to see I'm not the only one tired as hell of the same story mode over and over (and over and over) going on, hopefully Meteor will offer many unique things we can all enjoy. However, like Mike, I'm not getting my hopes up. And Mike, if the American release does retain the Japanese release's BGM, you have no reason not to get the NA version. :wink:

I'll see about sending a vocal email later this week for the podcast, here's hoping it makes it to the next ep.
14 years later

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 27, 2007 9:17 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:And Mike, if the American release does retain the Japanese release's BGM, you have no reason not to get the NA version. :wink:
Sure I do! I can get it weeks/months ahead of you, talk about it on the site and podcast, etc. :P
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun May 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Great episode like always. Now I just gotta find out how to stop my ears from bleeding...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 27, 2007 9:52 pm

I had to keep pulling the volume down at the end. That hurts the ears. XD

You know I completely forgot about them promising us the ability to walk around the cities; I was so looking forward to that too.

If it helps, I really enjoyed the board-game variation as well. Not to mention actual facial expressions other than "angry".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun May 27, 2007 11:52 pm

A Dragon Ball-themed Mario Party game would be all sorts of awesome, especially if it was on the Wii. Can you guys imagine how fun it would be to play a game where Goku has to drive his car through an obstacle course? Or a game where you have to help Chi-Chi cook a nutritous meal for Gohan? How about a game where you have four players with mallets all trying to run around and hit Gregory? The possibilities are endless.

Also, I don't think Meri's the instigator for all the Pokémon stuff...I am :P
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon May 28, 2007 2:45 am

I'm very excited about this new Sparking! game. Allow me to list you the reasons why.

For me, first and foremost, these have only marginally been video games to me in the first place. They are an event. As my friends and I get older, get busier, and the syndication of our favorite action cartoon becomes lesser, and lesser still, it feels great to sit down, for a few weekends every year, and play some DBZ.

Super DBZ did not deliver that experience. Sagas did not deliver that experience. Only the Budokai and Sparking! games have.

Sure, they're only going to to a few things to it. I'm very aware that it is going to be almost the same game. But getting to do it as Nail? That's awesome. My pals and I can make jokes and unlock characters and relive Dragon Ball Z through these games, and there's always something news to make it interesting for us again. Even if it's just a few characters.

Folks, I don't know what you guys look for in video games, and far be it from me to judge, but I look to have a good time. And playing a simple, predictable, re-packaged game every year, so long as it comes, is very fun. It is my very definition of fun.

This game is going to be off the chain.

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon May 28, 2007 9:52 am

Arg, if my computer was working I'd have put this on my iPod by now. But instead I have to use the family computer which I have to take turns for its use.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon May 28, 2007 11:32 am

djkalteraphine wrote:I'm very excited about this new Sparking! game. Allow me to list you the reasons why.

For me, first and foremost, these have only marginally been video games to me in the first place. They are an event. As my friends and I get older, get busier, and the syndication of our favorite action cartoon becomes lesser, and lesser still, it feels great to sit down, for a few weekends every year, and play some DBZ.

Super DBZ did not deliver that experience. Sagas did not deliver that experience. Only the Budokai and Sparking! games have.

Sure, they're only going to to a few things to it. I'm very aware that it is going to be almost the same game. But getting to do it as Nail? That's awesome. My pals and I can make jokes and unlock characters and relive Dragon Ball Z through these games, and there's always something news to make it interesting for us again. Even if it's just a few characters.

Folks, I don't know what you guys look for in video games, and far be it from me to judge, but I look to have a good time. And playing a simple, predictable, re-packaged game every year, so long as it comes, is very fun. It is my very definition of fun.

This game is going to be off the chain.
Amen.

This game is going to be the best, I know it. If Budokai Tenkaichi 2 was good (Which it still is) I know that BT3 is going to be far superior. The games have always been like that. Better every time. And the factor that this game gives you the full-on experience of playing the series in its glory makes me excited. :)

By the way, great Podcast, as usual! 8)

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon May 28, 2007 11:50 am

tarrin4ever wrote:Be wary of DBZ party games. Four words, One Piece: Pirates Carnival.
I'm guessing that game didn't do so well? Either way, all the stuff Dogasu mentioned sounds really fun.

Also, when you guys mentioned the more than 150 characters in the new DBZ game, I was sure you guys would've made a Pokemon joke :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon May 28, 2007 12:49 pm

Great podcast as usual. However I feel as though you are not been quite fair to the budokai tenkaichi series. There was a huge improvement from 1 to 2 not just in characters.

People always say they want more What ifs , In DBZ games and also to make characters like Raditz tougher. Budokai Tenkaichi 2 did both very well.

Ways they made just Raditz really cool. Raditz been able to turn in to a Ozaru. As well as the transformation he got the cool what if Story mode with him becoming "good".

They added Destructible environments , Which yes was in budokai 3 BUT this was a different series so that is still a huge bonus. They added in game transformations. They improved how characters transform to other games (E.g Super buu actually gets blobs sticking to him to "absorb" people , Super 13 absorbs parts like in the film)

Also the moves. Fat buu , Majuub and I think super buu. Can actually turn you in to chocolate. He didn't do that on any of the previous games (Only game I can think of with a chocolate move was on the GBA) So that was cool.

Yes the fighting System and parts of the Game stayed the same BUT so do most game series. Look at Pokemon (only using this e.g as you mentioned you like it and I like it so I can use this e.g) Pokemon red and the new DS Pokemon Diamond play pretty much the same just improve areas.

That's what they did with these kept some things the same but improved other areas so much the difference was huge.

Also other characters they could add to the game from Z and DB And GT

- Android 14
- Android 15
- Android 8
- Red Ribbon Army people
- Captain Chicken (This is just for fun)
-Chi Chi
- Cooler's men
-Dr. Myuu
-Dr. Willow
- Ginger (Garlic Jr's henchman)
- Gohan with one arm from Trunk's timeline
- Goku Junior
- Nezi, Ribet, and Bizu
- General Rilldo
- Kibito (we have him fused why not seprate)
- Oolong (this would be great , use shape shift to turn in to one of a few random monsters)
-Ox-king
- Spopovitch
- Bardock’s crew of saiyans
- Yamuu

that's just of the top of my head I'm sure there's more. Plus with the game due out after the pokemon game on Wii I'm sure Online could be a feature to add.

But all this is just my opinion.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon May 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Sparking! Meteor is going to be a rental for me at best. Like Mike, I was kinda underwelmed with Sparking! NEO. Sure it was fun for the first couple of days & weeks, but after letting it sink in, I just found it to be a lukewarm experience. Good podcast & here's hoping to hear about Takeshi Kusao's first anime convention experience in the US for the next one.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 28, 2007 2:36 pm

For those of you asking why on Earth we're not looking forward to this game, let me simply put this statement out there:

I've started a game with a story mode that's either cut-scenes or written dialogue, all that leads up to another one-on-one fight, with Goku vs Raditz five times (going on six) in as many years.

I'm ready for something new.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon May 28, 2007 4:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For those of you asking why on Earth we're not looking forward to this game, let me simply put this statement out there:

I've started a game with a story mode that's either cut-scenes or written dialogue, all that leads up to another one-on-one fight, with Goku vs Raditz five times (going on six) in as many years.

Yeah I can understand that. I'm looking forward to this game , It shot straight up to my number 1 most anticipated game (yes I'm that big of a nerd/fanboy that I would rather play a dragonball z game than halo 3 , gta IV or any other game)

But I see where you're coming from and honestly I feel the same same way as well as looking forward to it. (Quiet I'm complex :lol: ) I mentioned in another thread I would want one of the three following to be a game

- Smash Bros style Dragonball Z game.
- A rpg game (think 3d legacy of goku but from saiyan to buu saga)
- Dragonball Z sagas type game as :cry: I never got play it. They did not make it in uk. (Although the joy having a Wii plus I can get free loader makes me think hmmmmm maybe i'll buy it)

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon May 28, 2007 8:08 pm

I totally agree ... but at the same time, Iam going to have to buy this game because... its DragonBall.

Anyways... since the Dragon Quest series and Super Mario series are coming together. I think maybe a DragonBall\Super Mario crossover is possible :D ... but not likely... :cry: