Episode #0085 (08 July 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:52 am

Yeah, I'm gonna have to second Tanooki's statement, but Mike makes a good point about the types of fans out there.

...although I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit at hearing...whatever the hell the guy said regarding Toriyama's name.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:42 am

That panel sounded like so much fun, guys. Some of the contestants really were goofballs and I was surprised at the amount of wrong answers. But all-in-all, I wish I was there... you guys should really post videos of your panels someday.

Great podcast, guys.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:55 am

VegettoEX wrote:I hope you at least somewhat enjoyed yourself, even if you didn't win anything ^_~.
OH MY DRAGON GOD!! I had a FABULOUS TIME!! Worth the 9 hour drive from Canada! It was hilarious and exciting to finally be able to attend a DragonBall panel and sorta introduce myself to you, Meri, Julian, and Jeff who work really hard to entertain the DB community. The panel itself was well put together and I was happy to see from kids to adults there ^^! AWESOME prizes too!!!

SSj Kaboom wrote:Sorry to be harsh, but... geez Mike, who are these goofballs you guys picked out as contestants? These guys suck.
*flies out and stabs* You suck because you missed it.

kinoko wrote:Shout-out to QuantumDestiny and her sister (who's also on this forum?)~! ^^
*hugs* Kinoko! I loved hanging out with you and your awesome cousin! You don't post enough, must chat on LJ.
Kirbopher wrote:...although I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit at hearing...whatever the hell the guy said regarding Toriyama's name.
Hey don't diss Saiyaman! Muwahah I knocked him out in the parking lot and took his prize from him! .... actually he gave his prize to me, because of his sense of justice. (Thank you for the GT special, VegettoEX :D ) He's really cool even though he craps up names :? . Oh yeah and I guess I was kind of ranting a lot so I forgot to give my name when Mike asked us to talk about ourselves... Argh I sounded like an idiot... but yes that female voice is me XD.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:24 am

/me pouts because I couldn't go. :(

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:29 am

Man this was a fun episode, I wish that the UK conventions did stuff like you did :D
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:47 am

*Downloads podcast*
VegettoEX wrote:
Tyro wrote:I just searched for how many dragonball wishes were made and I'm only getting 21. Four in Dragonball, seventeen in Dragonball Z. Which one am I missing? If you have a list of canon wishes made...that'd be great.
Holy crap, I think you're right... Looks like wish #21 was the one to restore Goku's power. That was the last one, ne?
Actually, all ya' gotta do is remember why Buu can walk freely among civilians and the wish to erase his threatening awareness/memories/whatever from the normal Earthlings comes to mind. Curious, the question on them being "canon" wishes, this would rule out certain movies that are debatable with GT's? In any case, I made a list myself not too long ago, though it isn't on a manga purist canon level; so call me a dork and slap me with a rubber glove.

1st Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Oolong wishes for a pair of panties off a hot babe.
2nd Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Upa wishes for his Father, Bora, to be brought back to life.
3rd Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Piccolo Daimao wishes for eternal youth so that he may never grow old.
4th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Bulma, Yamcha, and Oolong together wish for all those who were killed by Piccolo Daimao and his kin, as well as Roshi, to be brought back to life.
5th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Garlic Jr. wishes for immortality. (Flashbacks and references in the Garlic Jr. saga force this wish into anime continuity)
6th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Roshi wishes for Goku to be brought back to life, however since he kept his body, the Dragon doesn't transport Goku to Earth.
7th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for Piccolo to be brought back to life, returning him his physical body on Kaio's planet.
8th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes, albeit not specifically enough, for Piccolo to be transported to Planet Namek.
9th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Mr. Popo wishes for all those killed by Freeza and his henchmen to be brought back to life, effectively reviving all those who've died within a year's time.
10th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for all those on Namek, except for Goku and Freeza, to be transported to Earth.
11th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for Kuririn's molecule remains to be transported to the Earth.
12th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for Kuririn to be brought back to life.
13th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for Yamcha to be brought back to life.
14th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for Chaozu to be brought back to life.
15th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for Tenshinhan to be brought back to life.
16th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for all Namekians on Earth, with the exception of Piccolo, to be relocated to a new Planet Namek.
17th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Yamcha wishes for all those who were killed by Cell to be brought back to life.
18th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Kuririn wishes for the bombs/explosives in #17 and #18's bodies be removed.
19th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Yamcha wishes for all those who died on the day Goku returned (up to this point of the wish being made) to be brought back to life, exceptions being the really bad people.
20th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for Earth to be restored, bringing it back exactly as it was before the conflict with Babidi began.
21st Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for everyone who died on Earth since Babidi's arrival to be brought back to life, except for the most evil ones.
22nd Wish - Granted by Porunga: Dende wishes for Goku's power to be restored to normal.
23rd Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Goku wishes for the memories of Majin Buu to be erased from all minds of the normal Earthlings, evidently all those who aren't very close with the Z Senshi and such.
24th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Hoi wishes for Tapion's music box to be unsealed and hence opened, freeing Tapion from his self-imposed exile. (This movie has pretty good reasons to be put in anime continuity from my point of view)
(Implied Off-Screen) 25th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: The Z Senshi wish for all those who died by Hildegarn's power to be brought back to life.
26th Wish - Granted by Black-Star Shenlong: Emperor Pilaf wishes for Goku to be restored to his child form, in effect nullifying his Instantaneous Movement and severely limiting his Super Saiyan 3 form.
27th Wish - Granted by Black-Star Shenlong: Bebi-Vegeta wishes for the original Planet Plant, before the Saiyans converted it to Vegeta, to be restored in Earth's orbit.
28th Wish - Granted by Porunga: Moori wishes for the Earth to be restored, reviving it exactly as it was before Bebi-Vegeta's stranglehold on the human race began.
29th Wish - Granted by Qi Xinglong: Presumably through his thoughts, Goku wishes to see his absorbed Granddaughter, Pan, one last time before accepting defeat from the Dark Dragons.
30th Wish - Granted by Shenlong: Goku wishes for all those who've died on Earth, due to the plague of the Dragonballs' minus energy, be brought back to life.

I'd have probably gotten it wrong for including "non-canon" wishes. :P
QuantumDestiny wrote:*flies out and stabs* You suck because you missed it.
*redirects stabbing to self* I'm the one who deserves punishment for not going. :(
14 years later

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:52 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:O_<

Sorry to be harsh, but... geez Mike, who are these goofballs you guys picked out as contestants? These guys suck. Some of the questions were kinda hard, I'll admit, but I still answered 90% of them within a second or two.
I think this is an instance where a quick tryout quiz (written or oral) would have helped quite a bit with the people you chose. On the other hand, it's nice to have some obscure trivia with DBZ fans, but you need to balance it out with a few more real easy and medium questions.

In all, though, a lot of those questions I actually knew, because most of them came straight out of earlier podcasts! So if Mike & Meri are doing this again, it's best that you keep listening to the podcast every week!
Are you gonna do anything like this at Otakon? You really should; I want to play.
I know they've mentioned the "DBZ You've Never Seen, Part II" panel they're doing, and I'm going to check that out.

Nice podcast this week. Sounds like you all had a good time at the Con this past weekend. Here's to Otakon in 2 weeks!
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:38 am

Dude, I shoulda' gone...

I would have won. I missed like five questions x_x

That guy that said he watched AF must feel like such an ass hole xD

Oh my God, that dude doesn't know what DragonBox is...

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:40 pm

Well, as long as we're clearing up the jeopardy answers here...

What deaths would you count for Kuririn? There are the ones by Tambourine, Freeza, and Boo, but that still leaves one more to come out with the four you guys said. Even if you were considering the canon only, does that mean Trunks and Cell's timeline, too? I'm guessing you'd count Kuririn's deaths in the multiple timelines as one big one, since there's too many to count there.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:50 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Well, as long as we're clearing up the jeopardy answers here...

What deaths would you count for Kuririn? There are the ones by Tambourine, Freeza, and Boo, but that still leaves one more to come out with the four you guys said. Even if you were considering the canon only, does that mean Trunks and Cell's timeline, too? I'm guessing you'd count Kuririn's deaths in the multiple timelines as one big one, since there's too many to count there.
I was thinking of that too!

If we really went out there, it would look something like this.

1)Tambourine Death
2)Freeza Death
3)Death by Androids (Future timeline)
4)Death by Buu
5)Death in GT
6)Death by old age (considering the end of GT episode 64)

Poor Kuririn. :lol:

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:16 pm

fps_anth wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Well, as long as we're clearing up the jeopardy answers here...

I was thinking of that too!

If we really went out there, it would look something like this.

1)Tambourine Death
2)Freeza Death
4)Death by Buu
5)Death in GT

Well, I guess they didn't count 3 and 6.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:23 pm

fps_anth wrote:If we really went out there, it would look something like this.

1)Tambourine Death
2)Freeza Death
4)Death by Buu
5)Death in GT

Aww.

Still, one day I'm going to adopt an orange kitten and name it Krillin, but call it Kuririn because it's awfully cute to say "Here Ku-ri-rin! Come here Ku-ri-rin!"

And of course Krillin/Kuririn the kitten will have 9 lives asopposed to 6!
- J

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:30 pm

I was going with (1) Tambourine, (2) Freeza, (3) Buu blows up everything, (4) #17 in DBGT. Inferred deaths (eventually at the end of the series) honestly can't count as something, but I can see where you'd be coming from with the alternate timeline death. Even still, no-one said "five" for an answer :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:41 pm

"GameCube." Priceless. :roll:

Anyway, great episode. Definately one of my faves. :)

EDIT: Regarding the post below, my GameCube comment still stands. :P
Last edited by The Tori-bot on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:45 pm

Hey, folks...

I'm really hoping that some of the people who attended the panel that weren't already visitors/listeners will come check out the site and podcast. I'm really having a problem with you all calling names and making fun of them just because they didn't know as many answers as you. They're probably reading this thread and thinking everyone's a giant jackass that runs back to their computer and anonymously slams others for being "less" of a nerd.

Like I said, I would *expect* you all to know all of the answers... but this panel *wasn't directly for you*... please keep that in mind.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:08 pm

I didn't think to see a fight between Chibi Trunks and Gohan at your panel. :P

It was fun. The questions were hard. Dude, how do you guys know all this? The guy sitting next to me got to go up. I liked it, but thought it would be better for the audience if the players were facing them from behind the table, and with you guys in front or on the sides; I imagine you might have had trouble with the wiring though.

As for the podcast itself, I'm surprised how well the sound came out. Now I can hear all the huddles between the teams. :shock: You must have some sexy equipment there. I want it. :D

Other than asking questions at the end, there wasn't much of a "talk". Of course, the "Everything About DBZ" was nothing but a talk, so I didn't feel too bad not having a discussion. (Did you guys happen to see anything? I know Julian was handing out flyers, and Mike and Meri were outside mingling or something after the panel. XD)

Yeah, wish I went up to you guys and said hi at the AMV panel. I saw Meri at the Sunday showing of the AMV contest, but thought it would be weird to come out of nowhere like that. So yeah, didn't say hi. I have no guts. ^^;

Not-too-off-topic: Oh. My. God. Kobayashi and Robot Chicken. You know, you could have put them on objects on the art, rather than random nothingness in the backgrounds. :lol:

Also-somewhat-off-topic: Can I download the video you guys had at the AMV panel from somewhere? I want that, too. ^^
Last edited by veshira on Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Oh yeah, I missed maybe 10 minutes of the beginning of the AMV panel (which was EXTREMELY helpful by the way..).. but when I got there, there were some really nice AMVs that I stupidly forgot to write down the names of. Is it possible to get a list of the AMVS you showed?

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:32 pm

VegettoEX said:
I'm really hoping that some of the people who attended the panel that weren't already visitors/listeners will come check out the site and podcast. I'm really having a problem with you all calling names and making fun of them just because they didn't know as many answers as you. They're probably reading this thread and thinking everyone's a giant jackass that runs back to their computer and anonymously slams others for being "less" of a nerd.
Thank you Mike, for that reminder. I'd hate for this board to turn into another Game Show Forum, where everybody there makes fun of the dumb contestants and dumb shows and berates the contestants -- and each other -- with the moderators' full approval; in so doing, taking all the fun out of watching game shows. That's another topic on another forum for another day, though.

Veshira said:
Kobayashi and Robot Chicken. You know, you could have put them on objects on the art, rather than random nothingness in the backgrounds.
It pays big dividends to listen to previous editions of the podcast. Nothing beats good ol' Episode 25, the fantastic DBZ Technology episode and Meri's declaration of the Capsule Corp. robots looking like chickens.....

And if you're new here, please stick around! And listen to some past podcasts or two for Mike, for Meri, for Julian, and for great Justice. (Especially Episode 25, certainly my personal favorite episode ever.) Some of those questions did come from past episodes, so it pays to listen!
- J

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:35 pm

I think we're looking at getting the Keynote presentation from the AMV panel actually up as its own download for everyone to check out. Real quick, though, here are the actual videos we played (taking a bit from what Jeff's written elsewhere, 'cuz it saves me time :P... also remember that we played the entirety of only a couple videos [marked with an asterisk], and then snippets from a few others):

Intro AMV, Action/External Sync & Lip Sync:
*Kevin Caldwell - Engel (Neon Genesis Evangelion & End of Evangelion)

Action/Internal Sync:
Kevin Caldwell - Engel (Neon Genesis Evangelion & End of Evangelion)
Tidirium Studio - Hold Me Now (Princess Tutu)

Lyric Sync:
Kusoyaro Productions - Build Me Up Buttercup (Kare Kano)

Flow/Mood & Intermission:
*AbsoluteDestiny - Magic Dreams of Flight (Various; Iron Chef/Editor Runner-Up AWA 2003)

Source (demonstrating why not to use other AMVs):
Koopiskeva - Euphoria (RahXephon)

Intermission 2:
*AtomX - Time Waits For No One (The Girl Who Lept Through Time)

Aspect Ratio & Resolution:
Vlad G Pohnert - Destiny of the Dark (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust)

Render/Encode:
Big Big Truck - Failed Experiments in Video Editing (Cowboy Bebop & original artwork)

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:37 pm

Brakus wrote:Veshira said:
Kobayashi and Robot Chicken. You know, you could have put them on objects on the art, rather than random nothingness in the backgrounds.
It pays big dividends to listen to previous editions of the podcast. Nothing beats good ol' Episode 25, the fantastic DBZ Technology episode and Meri's declaration of the Capsule Corp. robots looking like chickens.....
Oh, I got the references, and I've seen all but the Robot Chicken one before (unless I missed some extras...) I just meant that for the DVD, they could have had it so you click on a dragonball in the background or someone's head or something, rather than have a random tiny square on a part of the background that was otherwise of little importance. Makes it hard to find when on a computer using Windows Media Player, since my mouse would have to scroll over it. (With the exception of the AMVs.)
Brakus wrote:And if you're new here, please stick around! And listen to some past podcasts or two for Mike, for Meri, for Julian, and for great Justice. (Especially Episode 25, certainly my personal favorite episode ever.) Some of those questions did come from past episodes, so it pays to listen!
I'm not new to either the forum or the podcast, but you'll be sure I won't stop listening to the podcast, even though I don't visit the forum so much nowadays. ^_^
VegettoEX wrote:I think we're looking at getting the Keynote presentation from the AMV panel actually up as its own download for everyone to check out.
Awesome! I like how Jeff layed out everything, and overall how you guys elaborated and did... stuff? I mean, I liked the quirkiness, and jokes like "How to make AMVs to get laid... *crosses out laid* awards!"
Last edited by veshira on Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]