"Rebuild" of Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

"Rebuild" of Dragonball?

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:00 pm

As many of you know, the first of the Rebuild of Evangelion movies are coming out in less than a month now (And, yes. Unit-01 is my avatar again for this reason). For those who don't have a clue what I'm talking about, KHARA(Hideaki Anno's new studio) is creating a retelling of the Evangelion series in four movies to come out throughout the end of this year and the next, using new digital animation, redone character designs, and, from what I've heard, a brand new ending. The question I want to ask is, would you want Toei to produce something like this for Dragonball? If so, what would you like to see done with it?

Maybe something like:

-Ending with Freeza or Cell?
-New theme songs?
-GT done well?
-Anything else?

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Ex-Dubbie369 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:25 pm

Oh yes... Eva... *huddles in corner weeping*

Anyway - I think that re-doing the series with _consistent_ animation would make a world of difference. Next I think would be cutting out the majority of the filler and plot-inconsistency fixes.

I'm actually against using the new style of animation we've been seeing for DBZ (in video game openings, commercials, etc). I don't like it, too shiny and plastic-y.

I wouldn't change the music much, if at all. Maybe use a new rendition of 'Head Cha La' (like Rebuild is doing a new 'Fly Me to the Moon') - and as much as I think Ending the series with Freeza would be more dramatic and satisfying, I don't want DBZ to turn into Akira - with completely different scenarios between the manga and anime.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:07 pm

Yeah, while I do like to see new animated dbz stuff, some of the most recent ones look a little stiff to me.

Now the animation from the opening of Budoukai 2, that was beautiful. Very fluid motion. If Toei ever (hopefully) does another dbz special, or a movie, I'd like them to use the team from that game opening. (As I doubt the original teams from the series are still around).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same about the new animation style. While it's okay for commercials and whatnot, I'd rather see animation more faithful to the style of the manga in a "rebuild." I wouldn't want too much deviation from the original character designs either.

New theme songs would be great as well, but they'd have to be true to the spirit of the show, not like the saccharine j-pop that was used for GT, geez.

I wouldn't mind it ending with Freeza since I'm not the biggest fan of the Cell saga and I don't know if I'd really care to see it redone. But yeah, it would have to be done in a way that at least hinted at Gokuh's survival.

Overall, I think it's something I would go for.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:35 pm

desirecampbell wrote: I'm actually against using the new style of animation we've been seeing for DBZ (in video game openings, commercials, etc). I don't like it, too shiny and plastic-y.
OH YES, THANK YOU! Someone who agrees with me! Digital animation is nice, sometimes, but5 when it does that "ZOMGSUPERFASTULTRAPAN" it pisses me off. You know, like it looks unnaturally sped up - like some of the Ocean dub scenes. S-CRY-ed, perfect example.

Tenchi shall ONCE again be my example.

Original series OVA (sortof): Image

Sorry about the size.

and then the new style (a SD form of it rather, it does this a lot.): Image

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:31 pm

I also agree that the animation for the Budokai openings, while good for what they were for, are a little too shiny to me. I think that it would just need to be polished a little bit to look updated. I like how KHARA isn't overdoing it with the new EVA stuff and still making it look similar to the original.
Last edited by Ex-Dubbie369 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arcwave
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arcwave » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:29 am

Correction: Rebuild of Evangelion is not being animated at GAINAX, but at Hideaki Anno's new studio, KHARA.

I really can't wait for it to come out. I was recently introduced to EVA and have fell in love with it ever since. I actually just finished End of Evangelion a couple days ago. It was brilliant, but left me hanging at the end (with Shinji and Asuka at the beach [Post-Third Impact]).

DBZ in new animation? I would actually like to see that. Maybe it'll happen, maybe not. We'll just have to see!

/j
Jesse
tricofilms.com

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:30 am

Chuquita wrote: Now the animation from the opening of Budoukai 2, that was beautiful. Very fluid motion. If Toei ever (hopefully) does another dbz special, or a movie, I'd like them to use the team from that game opening. (As I doubt the original teams from the series are still around).
I agree, the opening to Budokai 2 was beautiful and i would love to see DBZ re-animated in that kind of animation.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:42 am

I think they should do it, yes.

And get whichever studio did these episodes to animate the whole thing.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GT--32AV8MY& ... ed&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WSWvXK4MNGw

I think it's the same studio anyways.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:06 am

Arcwave wrote:Correction: Rebuild of Evangelion is not being animated at GAINAX, but at Hideaki Anno's new studio, KHARA.
Oh, oops, didn't know that. Thanks for the correction. :D

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:25 pm

If it was done in 4 movies, I agree that Budokai 2's Animation style would be best. I would like them to stay a little closer to some of the Manga character designs, such as the color of Piccolo's arm segments and the number of his fingers, and some other coloration issues. I think it would be cool if they explored a different ending, one in which Goku and Freeza go down with Namek. I would divide it into 4 movies, each between 2 and 2 and 1/2 hours long.

One - Beginning to the resurrection of Upa's father.
Two - 22nd Tenka'ichi Budokai through the end of th 23'd Tenka'ichi Budokai
Three - Raditz Arrival through Vegeta leaving Earth, perhaps including the events leading up to leaving for Namek in some form of montage'.
Four - All events surrounding Namek, with the new aforementioned ending.

Friezafan120
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Friezafan120 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:57 pm

Hell yes I would love DB and DBZ to be redone. Keep the original style, just make it look more polished.

Take out all of the filler, and end with Freeza.
"Remember to believe in magic, or I'll kill you."

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:45 pm

I'm thinking that these Eva Rebuild movies and the promising Halloween remake of Rob Zombie's will show how awesome certain media can be if redone the right way with the right twists. It's no secret I'm a big Eva fan, having collected the full series in Platinum form with the R1 movies' set; I personally look very forward to these Rebuild movies. DB/Z's definitely up on the ranks of a timeless classic and with as much attention as it's had in Japan over the last 5 years, I don't know why "Rebuild" movies of its own type couldn't be done. Toei sure as hell has the cash to pull it off and I'm in agreement on using the same animation style as Budokai 2 had, though also on going more toward the manga in designs. Seeing all new digital 2D movies with an alternate Freeza ending (that Toriyama could've originally intended) would no doubt be so fantastic. Certainly better than a pure CGI feature of slow heaving, jello-muscled Z warriors (cough Sparking! cough) that could blind us with their shinyness.
14 years later

zoiozazu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by zoiozazu » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:02 pm

Just one thing for sure: No GT this time!
Drabon-fans, help the saiyan kid! Vote Goku for Votatoon!
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com.br/votatoon/

[b][color=green][GREEN TEAM][/color][/b]

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 pm

Hmm it's an interesting Idea I always loved the tenth anniversary movie, in which they fused two separate story arcs into one, I would like to see something like that. I would have to pick the Android and Cell Games story arc I was to pick two story arcs to be made into a movie. I feel like that is the story arc most people know about and is their favourite. Dragonball wise I would like a movie version of the 22nd tenkaichi Budokai and Piccolo daiymao story arcs.
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:26 am

Is it weird that I'd love to see a movie or more of the series done in the same style that the Nippin Ijin Taisho, as seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCCHhUCHODM , used? The almost super-flat style and allowance for more fluidity would really help to make some great fight scenes, I believe, along with some genuinely funny comic relief.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:55 pm

I would die myself (Yes, die, not kill. I would die myself) if they started with the Bardock special as the intro for the first movie, if it's awesome didn't get me first.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:15 pm

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:I would die myself (Yes, die, not kill. I would die myself) if they started with the Bardock special as the intro for the first movie, if it's awesome didn't get me first.
If the series of movies is going to end with Freeza's death, then it should only logically start with Bardock, in some form or another. Same with a live-action series.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:42 pm

I'd love to see the series done in new not crappy animation. And while some may not like the idea of having the sagas condensed into one movie each, I think it's a great idea. The tenth Anniversary Special is one of the only DB movies I can watch multiple times in a row. For most of the other movies, I only watch them when I realize that I barely remember what happened in them.

Other than that, I think Duo covered everything else.

As for what the movies should end with, I also agree that it would be pretty interesting to see if Goku died with Freeza on Namek. But it's not like I'll throw a fit if it were to go until the actual end of DBZ.

Great, now I've got my hopes up for a new movie. Curse these pipe dream threads! :D
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:19 am

Haven't they already done this sort of "rebuild" with Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya?

It's very pretty, and I know that if a Dragonball one were done (maybe a few feature length films like Hokuto no Ken's "____ Gaiden" series), the majority of original voice actors would be there, unlike HNK.

It'd be nice to see