Dragonball Z - Season 3 Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akira
Regular

Dragonball Z - Season 3 Set

Post by Akira » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:02 pm

I picked this up today, and have been watching the first few episodes. We know already that the cropped "Widescreen" format is okay with some, and hated by others. Let's avoid this turning into another large debate on that if we can. I made this topic because I was able to purchase it a bit in advance. I figured I ought to make myself available to answer any questions you all may have about it.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Holy shit. You beat Tanooki to it?!

Um . . . okay, well . . . I know that one of the big questions people will have pertains to the redubbing of the English track and how far it was taken, but since you've watched only the first few episodes I suppose it's an impossible answer to give at the moment. But is Sabat/Vegeta still re-recording as of the episode you're watching? Is Young/Freeza? Strait/Kuririn? Nadolny/Gohan? (I'm not holding out any hopes for Schemmel/Goku, given his absolute non-participation in the quasi-redubbed episodes of the Season Two set.)

Other than that, we're mostly gonna wanna know if certain lines have been changed/added/removed. I'm sure that everyone here has one or two that they'll want to throw in. Here's mine:

1.) The whole "Give me a countdown" thing between Vegeta and Freeza (on Disc 1, Episode 77)-- it'd be nice if that happens to have vanished in favor of some more appropriate dialogue. I'll have lost a little respect for Sabat if he chose to record for that line a second time through.

2.) The dialogue for Vegeta's death (on Disc 3, Episode 86). Any noteworthy changes, or is he still crying about how Freeza took him from his father when he was just a little boy?

Basically, you're going to get a lot of questions like those. So just any notable differences you can think of between these episodes and the way they were previously released (aside from the widescreen, a'course) would be good-- I'm sure Tanooki will handle the visual side of things and post his usual pictures for the menu screens and such when he gets the set in a few days, but anything you can tell us about the audio would be awesome.

Oh, and . . . how the @#$% did you get this so early, and where?!

Thanks, Akira!

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:41 pm

What're you doing making a topic without screenshots? YOU KNOW WE DEMAND IT! :P

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:41 pm

Well, unfortunately, the "Countdown" bit is still in there man. Sorry to inform you of that. So is Piccolo's "YES, I'm alive, I'm wide awake, I feel great, yes, yes, yes, I can do this!" (Not exact, but you know the part I mean.) line is still in there.

Vegeta curses a lot now, and when he sees the Dragon he no longer says, "Holy Cosmos, look at the size of that thing!" That line is gone.

I am up to the part where Freeza form 2 stabs Krillin with his horn. I'll let you know what else is changed that I notice. Despite all the cursing added in, Dende's "Don't piss off the god of love" line is now gone. He says "Don't disrespect the Dragon guys!" now.

More to come as I watch further into it.

As to how I aquired it so early, we got them in at work and I just bought one. It was supposed to be out sooner anyway, so I figured if they catch it and yell at me I'll just claim ignorance of the later release date.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:44 pm

"Don't disrespect the Dragon, guys" sounds somewhat odd when worded like that. Sounds like Dende's trying to say "Don't diss the Dragon, yo." :P

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:47 pm

What?!
This is out now?
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:50 pm

I'd love to get a screen shot of that four-way split between Freeza (form 4) and Kuririn, Gohan, Vegeta, and Piccolo. (Sorry, can't remember the episode number)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:24 pm

Akira wrote:Well, unfortunately, the "Countdown" bit is still in there man. Sorry to inform you of that.
Y-You're kidding me . . .

Well . . . considering that they left in "mondo cool," I suppose that I shouldn't be too surprised. Still, I always count "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" to be the more ridiculous of the two, so I was still hoping out hope. Heh . . . not anymore, apparently.
Akira next wrote:So is Piccolo's "YES, I'm alive, I'm wide awake, I feel great, yes, yes, yes, I can do this!" (Not exact, but you know the part I mean.) line is still in there.
Shit. I forgot to ask . . . is Sabat still recording for Piccolo? I can live with the line so long as he's recorded it a little better.
Akira next wrote:Vegeta curses a lot now, and when he sees the Dragon he no longer says, "Holy Cosmos, look at the size of that thing!" That line is gone.
He curses? Well, that's good. I can't remember one instance of Vegeta cursing in the quasi-redubbed episodes on the second set, so I was afraid that it was something they dropped at the end of the original 67 episode redub. But if Vegeta's swearing as of Season Three, then I feel better-- means that there might be more of it down the line where the "darn" and "gosh" get really annoying.
Akira then wrote:I am up to the part where Freeza form 2 stabs Krillin with his horn. I'll let you know what else is changed that I notice. Despite all the cursing added in, Dende's "Don't piss off the god of love" line is now gone. He says "Don't disrespect the Dragon guys!" now.
Someone on this board called it, though I can't remember who. But I knew that "don't piss off the god of love" wasn't about to stay. Now the original Frieza - The Summoning disc is going to become a highly-sought collectable for the sake of that one line. :wink:
Akira finally wrote:More to come as I watch further into it.
Whatever you can give us, Akira. 'Preciate it.

~Da Lemmy

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:41 pm

How far do they go with the swearing?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:49 pm

Well . . . I don't actually own this set yet, but if it's anything like the first two then the swearing probably goes along the lines of Pissed, Hell, Damn, Damn It All, Bastard, etc. (Doubt we'll ever see anything extreme like Shit or Fuck, though; they didn't even do any of that in the original version.)

Though feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken about what's actually on the set, Akira.

~Da Lemmy

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:52 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Well . . . I don't actually own this set yet, but if it's anything like the first two then the swearing probably goes along the lines of Pissed, Hell, Damn, Damn It All, Bastard, etc. (Doubt we'll ever see anything extreme like Shit or Fuck, though; they didn't even do any of that in the original version.)

Though feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken about what's actually on the set, Akira.

~Da Lemmy
Yes, they did say fuck and shit, the fansubs!

Right...?

Right...?

RIGHT...?!

I'm kidding.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:16 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Yes, they did say fuck and shit, the fansubs!

Right...?

Right...?

RIGHT...?!
Shut the fuck up, you candy-ass faggot!! :D
desirecampbell wrote:I'd love to get a screen shot of that four-way split between Freeza (form 4) and Kuririn, Gohan, Vegeta, and Piccolo. (Sorry, can't remember the episode number)
Hmm. Episode 83, if I'm not mistaken-- the episode ends with the shock of the newly-transformed 4th-form Freeza (hence the "special" closing shot), just before the next episode where he kills off Dende.

For Akira's/Tanooki's reference, on Des' behalf.

~Da Lemmy

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:26 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Yes, they did say fuck and shit, the fansubs!

Right...?

Right...?

RIGHT...?!
Shut the fuck up, you candy-ass faggot!! :D
desirecampbell wrote:I'd love to get a screen shot of that four-way split between Freeza (form 4) and Kuririn, Gohan, Vegeta, and Piccolo. (Sorry, can't remember the episode number)
Hmm. Episode 83, if I'm not mistaken-- the episode ends with the shock of the newly-transformed 4th-form Freeza (hence the "special" closing shot), just before the next episode where he kills off Dende.

For Akira's/Tanooki's reference, on Des' behalf.

~Da Lemmy
You fucking bastard! You destroyed my fucking house! FUCK YOU!!!
Cold World (Fanfic)

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:55 pm

Does the Dub Music Track still have the Re-recorded voices or did they leave the Original Dub in there like a lot of Dubbies want?

Also, was Piccolo's classic "YES YES YES, I'M ALIVE...blah blah blah" re-recorded by Sabat? Or was that left alone?
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:57 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Holy shit. You beat Tanooki to it?!
My thoughts exactly :P

It's a shame that Piccolo's "YES.YES.YES.I.CAN.DO.THIS" line is still in there. I cringe every time I hear it...

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:04 am

Vegeta curses like a sailor on shore leave in Season 1 and 2, followed closely by Krillin. After watching Season 1 and 2 in a span of like 2 weeks, I think they cursed at least 20 times total. The best part is when Goku shoots out Oozaru Vegeta's eye, and in a big monkey voice he says "DAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOUUUU!"
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 am

I have to order it next Friday, I can't wait to see the Freeza Saga again.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:26 am

All of Piccolo's dialog seems to have been re-recorded. There are subtle differences in many places that I noticed. Here is a question I have though. When meeting, did Nail always say to Piccolo "I am not trying to trick you brother." ? I thought the original line was "I am not trying to decieve you brother." I can't remember for sure, I might be messing up dub lines with manga lines in my head.

I have Labor Day off, so I will watch more of it and let you all know what else I uncover.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:54 am

Man, you guys are makin' me want this set (And Season 2) so damn bad!! :cry:

(I'll have to gather up $60 to buy them both at Wal-Mart...)
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:08 am

Akira wrote:All of Piccolo's dialog seems to have been re-recorded. There are subtle differences in many places that I noticed. Here is a question I have though. When meeting, did Nail always say to Piccolo "I am not trying to trick you brother." ? I thought the original line was "I am not trying to decieve you brother." I can't remember for sure, I might be messing up dub lines with manga lines in my head.
The original dub line, as I remember it, is the "I'm not trying to trick you, brother" variation.

If this has changed, then it means that Schemmel came back in to record for Nail . . . which is of course . . . . impossible . . .

~Da Lemmy