How accurate are Funimation's subtitles for DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

How accurate are Funimation's subtitles for DBZ

Post by Raki » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:13 pm

During my break I want to rewatch the orange bricks i own with the subtitles. How accurate are the DBZ subtitles for the Japanese version?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

EricM
Beyond Newbie

Post by EricM » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:15 pm

Considered to be very very accurate.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Steven J. Simmons used to write episode summaries of DBZ on his website before Dragon Ball Z came to the states, and his summaries were so accurate that Funi hired him to do the subtitles for the DVDs.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Simmons did them for the original single disk DVDs. I dont know if he did them for the "Orange bricks"

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:01 pm

I always considered them very accurate. The only two things that have ever bothered me was "Kakarrott" instead of "Kakarrotto" and 'Saiyan' instead of Saiya-jin. Even then those two are insignificantly minor.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:06 pm

Kakkarotto I can understand because it's just a play on an English word instead of being an actual English work like Trunks. However, I don't see the problem with Saiyan ("sigh-an"). If there were an American on the show, I really would find it weird for the subtitles to say Amerika-jin.

That's just me, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:13 pm

Should've finished my sentence before I posted :) I was going to add that those really don't bother me at all. The overall quality of the subs are very very high. Some of the best I've seen out of the anime industry.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:25 pm

I wasn't asking you to justify yourself. You said it was insignificant. I was just throwing out my opinion as well.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

desirecampbell

Re: How accurate are Funimation's subtitles for DBZ

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:26 pm

Raki wrote:During my break I want to rewatch the orange bricks i own with the subtitles. How accurate are the DBZ subtitles for the Japanese version?
They're done by the best in the business, Steven J Simmons. He frequents this very forum. He's so personable, he's been on the podcast too.

We could not be in a better position, as subtitles go.

PS: "Cell defeated Cell". :P

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:09 pm

I thought I might mention a little something. Some of the earlier DVDs have two sets of subtitles--a subtitle track that matches that Japanese version, and a subtitle track that matches the dubbed script. Make sure you have the right subtitle track on when watching! :D

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:15 pm

So then Freeza really was saying "The one who tries the same trick twice lacks innovation!"?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:36 pm

Indeed.

As far as the original question goes, Daimao definitely has my utmost respect as a translator, and that means a lot given how particular I am with scripting in general. Let me explain.

I'm far from fluent, but oftentimes I will hear things in Japanese that I don't see adequately noted in the subtitles. For example: in Ergo Proxy, a show I'm watching right now, one of the characters refers to herself in the 3rd person quite a bit, i.e. - "Pino is right here." In the English subtitles, this is changed to simply be "I'm right here." Huge difference? Yes and no, to me. Her manner of speaking, to me, helps reinforce her character.

Then, of course, you have massive cluster-fucks like Advent Children, where Sony decided to basically rewrite the script instead of translating it ;p

I notice these little things a lot in anime. However, with Steven's work, my only gripes are very minor. Usually its merely the way I would say something differently in English, or the terms he chooses when a multitude of English words can technically be used (i.e. - his use of "freak" for bakemono whereas I preferred "monster"). As this is the only thing I can come up with, and rarely at that, which I ever have had problems with...I'd say he does damned near perfect translations.

-Corey

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Re: How accurate are Funimation's subtitles for DBZ

Post by fps_anth » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:03 am

desirecampbell wrote:
Raki wrote:During my break I want to rewatch the orange bricks i own with the subtitles. How accurate are the DBZ subtitles for the Japanese version?
They're done by the best in the business, Steven J Simmons. He frequents this very forum. He's so personable, he's been on the podcast too.

We could not be in a better position, as subtitles go.

PS: "Cell defeated Cell". :P
This.

I think the only way we could be in a better position is if they added the romanji of the songs into the subtitles, as many anime DVDs do nowadays.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:20 am

I remember being turned off by Goku saying 'aint' and ending all of he's '-ing' words with "-in'". But then when I actually realized that Goku was a hick and he doesn't speak Japanese in the standard vernacular, it made sense. I believe that he's the only translator that I've ever seen that has ever touched on that aspect about Goku as well.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:48 am

Yeah, that's one thing I love about Steve's translations. He actually acknowledges that Goku, Chichi, and Yajirobe are hicks and speak like such. I find Japanese speech fascinating in how using certain variations of words and pronouns tells a lot about a person's personality, but subbers tend to ignore it. >:|

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:10 am

They also keep the name-suffixes. Don't know any other companies that do that other than Pioneer/Geneon doing them for Ai Yori Aoshi and possibly Tenjho Tenge. (Haven't seen the latter subbed, but given that the dub had them, I would assume so).

pledge

Post by pledge » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:11 am

pardon my ignorance, but what are 'hicks'?

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:19 am

Hick, a derogatory Americanism (term) for a person from a rural area.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:03 am

SatoSky wrote:Hick, a derogatory Americanism (term) for a person from a rural area.
Simply put a "country bumpkin". :wink:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:49 am

B-kun wrote:Yeah, that's one thing I love about Steve's translations. He actually acknowledges that Goku, Chichi, and Yajirobe are hicks and speak like such. I find Japanese speech fascinating in how using certain variations of words and pronouns tells a lot about a person's personality, but subbers tend to ignore it. >:|
Things like that ARE incredibly hard to get across in subtitles, though. When the Japanese language has 5 different words for "you", differentiaing between them when translating into a language that only has one word for "you" isn't really going to happen.

I have to admit to not being a huge fan of the use of "Kami-sama" over "God", though, but eh. :P