Aspects of Dragonball Fandom that Piss You Off

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Aspects of Dragonball Fandom that Piss You Off

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:30 am

Wnhat aspects of the Sragonball fandom piss you off or annoy you

Is it the dubbies, is it because your favourite charqacter is bashed or is it because a couple or character that you don't like is too popular.

Discuss anything here

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:41 am

A few things:

1) There seems to be some unwritten rule that people who own the DBZ Season Sets or people who don't hate the VIZ DB(Z) manga have to justify themselves in order to be accepted amongst the rest of the community. The thing is, this unwritten rule seems to have been established by a loud minority rather than the people who have made it possible for every DBZ season set to be within the top 20 on Amazon.com with Season 4 being #10 and it's not even due out until next month.

2) I hate how I can get too hardcore into the fandom sometimes to the point where it seems more like I'm working toward something rather than simply enjoying myself with Dragonball. It's not necessarily what I talk about when it pertains to Dragonball, either. It's more of a how seriously I am talking about it sort of deal. This can be anything from Season Set colors to VIZ mistranslations to the information we currently have on the new live action Dragonball. I can usually tell when this is happening because I'll be so hardcore about something that other Dragonball fans I know in real life will look at me like I'm a nerd. :lol:

3) People who take debating or opinionated comments as personal insults get on my nerves more than anything in any community including Dragonball. DBox vs. Season Sets, live action vs. no live action, VIZ vs.... well, nothing, because hardly anyone I know of reads Dragonball in Japanese but people still bitch like the do anyway. It's all the same. I don't mind people talking about the pros and cons or making comparisons or making personal judgments. I don't mind people not agreeing. However, when people start taking the notion that "so-and-so hates the Season Sets and has the money to spend on DBox singles and is totally willing to do so" as "so-and-so called my Mom a slang term for Lady of the Evening because I own the Season Sets" (or vice versa) and Mike has to start closing threads it's already way too out-of-hand. It's just like dubbie vs. subbie on the Planet Namek forums all over again.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:08 am

I hate it when people tell me they also dislike dubs, and tell me that the only dub they like is DragonBall/Z/GT. God, that one's the worst of all (in my humble opinion). It happens every time. T_T

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:29 am

Bura wrote:I hate it when people tell me they also dislike dubs, and tell me that the only dub they like is DragonBall/Z/GT. God, that one's the worst of all (in my humble opinion). It happens every time. T_T
I agree. I once saw some guy claiming that "Some shows just work well in english (Like DBZ), while others (Like Haruhi) don't."
Now, I don't think the Haruhi-dub was all that great, but anything is better than DBZ, damnit! And I really don't understand how people can call the DBZ-dub better than say... Naruto or Death Note. Those shows had a phenomenal dub, yet at least the Naruto-dub gets treated like it's the friggin 4Kids-dub of One Piece.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:13 am

I hate when one person believes that their scope of what's important is the only possible one, and that anyone who likes something more or less than them are 'not real fans' or 'elitist pricks'.

SuperVegito17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperVegito17 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:16 am

1) Me too..I HATE it when people say they hate dubs...it is one of the BEST DUBS out there man. And you should see the Japanese one...some boring silence is made interesting by the DUBs...the DUBs also added some very funny jokes (like the backscratcher joke by Frieza). I do agree, DUBs made mistakes, but they did a great job.

2) I like daizex team and all, and I do follow the podcasts, but I hate the way they absolutely despise the Season sets, and say they are crap and stuff, while trumpeting about some old crappy dragonball live action! And it amazes me the way the DBOX are praised, because, as far as I saw, the DBOX is made widescreen by just CROPPING the top and bottom, but the Season set, is made widescreen, by actually increasing the width by showing more of the ORiginal frame (which is missing in DBOX). Ofcourse they had to cut little part of top and bottom to make it 16:9, but less than DBOX. GO SEASON SETS!!!
my latest Music Video -> http://stage6.divx.com/user/SuperVegito17/blog/

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:47 am

SuperVegito17 wrote:2) I like daizex team and all, and I do follow the podcasts, but I hate the way they absolutely despise the Season sets, and say they are crap and stuff, while trumpeting about some old crappy dragonball live action! And it amazes me the way the DBOX are praised, because, as far as I saw, the DBOX is made widescreen by just CROPPING the top and bottom, but the Season set, is made widescreen, by actually increasing the width by showing more of the ORiginal frame (which is missing in DBOX). Ofcourse they had to cut little part of top and bottom to make it 16:9, but less than DBOX. GO SEASON SETS!!!
And some more...
Okay, 1: Who EVER said that the live-action movie was good? The old one seems to be universally hated by everyone, and the new one... well, I don't see a lot of people going "YAY, THIS MOVIE WILL ROCK!" to put it that way.
2: The Dragonboxes are full-screen. The movies-box is letterboxed, but the movies were animated with widescreen-cropping in mind, so we're not losing anything significant. UNLIKE FUNI, WHO CUT OUT WAY MORE STUFF ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM THAN WHAT THEY ADDED TO THE SIDES, BY THE WAY. Bottomline: The series is in 4:3, and should stay in 4:3. The movies are in 16:9-format, but seeing how FUNi's old 4:3-releases of them actually contain MORE footage on the top and bottom while not cutting off the sides, they can be shown like that too.

And for your sake, I hope that entire thing was a joke, and if it was, it wasn't clear at all.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:50 am

-I hate power level obsessed fans

-I hate "who's the strongest" fans

-I hate Vegeta obsessd fans

-I hate dub only ignorant fans who think the Japanese VAs sound "weird"

-On the opposite extreme, I hate ignorant anime fans who hate DBZ and most shounen anime for being childish. Uh, duh, Shounen anime is aimed at children. How can you say One Piece is any less childish?

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:51 am

I don't hate anything. I'm a Dragonball fanboy. And happy to be one. I also like the dub. And if people get forceful with their opinions, i just do this >>> :roll:

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:55 am

I find it kind of annoying when people argue over what's canon and what's not. If I like something that was in the anime but not in the manga, it's part of my Dragonball world and if I dislike something that's in the manga itself then it's not in my DB world.

I base my opinions of Dragonball on how I view it and not on what's said about it in the manga / anime / daizenshuu. That's not to say that I disregard these three - of course not, I let them inspire me and decide for myself what part of it I accept and what I don't.
It's all GOOD

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:10 pm

SuperVegito17 wrote:1) Me too..I HATE it when people say they hate dubs...it is one of the BEST DUBS out there man. And you should see the Japanese one...some boring silence is made interesting by the DUBs...the DUBs also added some very funny jokes (like the backscratcher joke by Freeza). I do agree, DUBs made mistakes, but they did a great job.

You're kidding right? >>
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
SuperVegito17 wrote:1) Me too..I HATE it when people say they hate dubs...it is one of the BEST DUBS out there man. And you should see the Japanese one...some boring silence is made interesting by the DUBs...the DUBs also added some very funny jokes (like the backscratcher joke by Freeza). I do agree, DUBs made mistakes, but they did a great job.

You're kidding right? >>
I think he was being sarcastic...I really, really hope he was.
Edit: On second thought his other point was just as stupid, he wasn't joking. -_-;
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:17 pm

Vegard Aune:
Okay, 1: Who EVER said that the live-action movie was good? The old one seems to be universally hated by everyone, and the new one... well, I don't see a lot of people going "YAY, THIS MOVIE WILL ROCK!" to put it that way.
I see a fair number of people here who support the liveaction - i think that's what SuperVegito17 is referring to.
Just Saiyan...

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:26 pm

How people force their opinions down others' throats, or mistake opinions for facts.

I'm serious. This is why I disappeared for about a year and mostly only lurk now, and why you probably won't see Kaboom for awhile. You like the season sets? You want the DB LA movie to be good or suck horribly? Great, fine, good for you. But just because someone doesn't doesn't mean you have to convert them. Get over yourself and realize we're not a hive mind.

I think that about covers it.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:31 pm

B-kun wrote: Get over yourself and realize we're not a hive mind.
But...but the Borg are cool. :( :P

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:52 pm

B-kun wrote:How people force their opinions down others' throats, or mistake opinions for facts.
Yup. Seconded.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:48 pm

B-kun wrote:How people force their opinions down others' throats, or mistake opinions for facts.
Yeah, I hate those people too. I remember some guy specifically told me "That just shows how smart you are for ignoring an opinion when it's right." Riiiiiight.... For the record, the topic was about the new FUNimation-dub of One Piece. That guy claimed that it was no different from the 4Kids-dub, I gave him some reasons why it was, he responded with the quote I wrote before.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:54 pm

1) I hate you.
2) I hate me.

Guess that's it.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:16 pm

B-kun wrote:Get over yourself and realize we're not a hive mind.
Quoted for truth.

Can I put that in my sig?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:I remember some guy specifically told me "That just shows how smart you are for ignoring an opinion when it's right."
The guy does realize that that's an oxymoron and thus impossible right? XD