"VIZ BIG" Discussions (Releases, Developments)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

"VIZ BIG" Discussions (Releases, Developments)

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:10 pm

Today I was at Walden Book in my local mall and the first volume of Rurouni Kenshin in VIZBIG form was available. I took a few pictures to show you the difference in size between a normal VIZ manga and a VIZBIG manga.

Here's the manga itself. It's really well-made! I only glanced through it, but it makes me excited to see Dragonball and Dragonball Z in this style. Below are two comparison shots. The first is one is a regular edition of Rurouni Kenshin sitting on top of the VIZBIG release of Rurouni Kenshin to how how much taller and wider the VIZBIG edition is from the front. The second picture is a size-by-size shot to show how much more thick the VIZBIG volumes are (as well as ofering another look at how much taller they are).

In other news, my backordered VIZ Dragonball 1-3 and Dragonball Z 5, 7, 8, and 23-26 is almost complely filled. As soon as number 26 is in stock with RightStuf, they'll send it out and I'll have all of VIZ DB and DBZ.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

No interior pics? Have they changed their paper stock and print quality? Because both were quite terrible in their Graphic Novels work.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:23 pm

FindKenshi wrote:No interior pics? Have they changed their paper stock and print quality? Because both were quite terrible in their Graphic Novels work.
Paper stock is usually bad with manga - least, in the US (and the one I have from Japan has shown me no different). You should see my Tenchi from Japan, it's worse than what we have here.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:26 pm

bkev wrote:
FindKenshi wrote:No interior pics? Have they changed their paper stock and print quality? Because both were quite terrible in their Graphic Novels work.
Paper stock is usually bad with manga - least, in the US (and the one I have from Japan has shown me no different). You should see my Tenchi from Japan, it's worse than what we have here.
Really? Someone (I think it was Chibi Gohan) told me that the Kanzenban's stock and print quality is far beyond that of Viz's. I also saw a few scans, like the one where Gohan was killing the Cell Juniors.

In my Viz Book, you can't even hardly tell whats going on, because its' just so... bad. The Kanzenban scan of that page was amazingly crisp and clean and sexy looking, with sharp, fine details and everything.

Viz butchered Dragonball, the print job is horrible. Beyond reproach.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:32 pm

Sorry. I was on my way out of the store when I saw it. When I flipped through, I noticed that the paper was actually white rather than... newspaper-ish colored. I hope that means something.

I don't know the next time I'll be back in that particular store, but I'll take a couple interior pictures next time.

[insert witty and rude comment here]
(they/she)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:04 am

FindKenshi wrote: Really? Someone (I think it was Chibi Gohan) told me that the Kanzenban's stock and print quality is far beyond that of Viz's. I also saw a few scans, like the one where Gohan was killing the Cell Juniors.

In my Viz Book, you can't even hardly tell whats going on, because its' just so... bad. The Kanzenban scan of that page was amazingly crisp and clean and sexy looking, with sharp, fine details and everything.

Viz butchered Dragonball, the print job is horrible. Beyond reproach.
Well yeah, the kanzenban look great. But Viz's graphic novels are based on the tankoubon (I mean, they started quite some time before the kanzenban even came out). The whole point of the kanzenban is that they look a lot better than the original tankoubon release. However, I've never compared Viz's graphic novels directly to a tankoubon, so they could be inferior there as well. But comparing them directly to the kanzenban is rather unfair.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:37 am

I have a few Saint Seiya tankoubon (volumes 1 and 2), and the corresponding Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya releases from Viz, the Viz editions utterly destroy the tankoubon in a head to head comparison (as far as image quality/paper etc. go).

NOTE: Figure the comparison is somewhat valid being that Saint Seiya was a Jump publication as well.

NOTE 2: Additionally upon direct observation the Viz editions are quite a bit bigger than the tanks.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:05 am

I checked out a tankobon of Dragonball at some convo a year or two ago, and Viz's Graphic Novels kick the crap out of it, quality-wise.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:14 am

That is massive. Thanks for sharin' this with us Kendamu. :)

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:02 pm

Now that I saw this, I definitely want to see how Dragonball is gonna look like. Thanks for the photos Kendamu. It really looks cool. Glad to know my Viz edition books beat the quality out of, at least, the tankoubon in Japan. :lol:

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:44 pm

I will most likely only be buying the Dragonball ones if the edits are removed. Otherwise what's the point, I can buy the edited ones right now at the store for like 5 bucks each.

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks for the post, i am ordering this right now!
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:08 pm

omegacwa wrote:I will most likely only be buying the Dragonball ones if the edits are removed. Otherwise what's the point, I can buy the edited ones right now at the store for like 5 bucks each.
I'm almost certainly going to pick these 'big' editions up. The only question will be whether or not I have to get the Kanzenban too. If there are still edits in this release, it'll be no worse than the current Viz single-volume publications and I'll just have to get the Kanzenban as well.

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:23 pm

D these viz big releases come in hardback as well because there is a listing for a hardback version on amazon uk.
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Good to know that the Viz Big releases look awesome. I've already got all the kanzenban releases I want (with the choice color chapters in 'em) except for the Gohan vs. Cell fight, so I guess I'll have to pick that up when Viz eventually releases it in color. The corresponding volume is impossible to find at BookOff.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:47 am

I had the chance to look at this today and the paper is definitely higher-quality stuff in comparision to Viz's standard releases. Its not gloss-paper but its on par with stuff like my Batman: Year One paperback.

I was very impressed with the book though. I'll definitely pick up the DB volumes. I'm worried though that not all the color pages will be in color for some reason...

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:13 am

Brad Redfield wrote:
I had the chance to look at this today and the paper is definitely higher-quality stuff in comparision to Viz's standard releases. Its not gloss-paper but its on par with stuff like my Batman: Year One paperback.

I was very impressed with the book though. I'll definitely pick up the DB volumes. I'm worried though that not all the color pages will be in color for some reason...
That's weird. The whole "color pages" thing is supposed to be one of the big selling-points of VIZBIG.
(they/she)

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:59 am

Kendamu wrote:When I flipped through, I noticed that the paper was actually white rather than... newspaper-ish colored. I hope that means something.
Actually, it does mean a lot. Sounds promising.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:26 pm

Man oh man, looks like I'm gonna have to buy the Kenshin manga again.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:45 pm

Yeah, the covers are incrediblyhigh quality material. Boy am I pissed that now I have to buy the whole series over again.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf