Episode #0114 (03 February 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0114 (03 February 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Episode #0114 (download MP3)
74:37; 64 kbps, mono; 34.1 MB

Episode #0114! VegettoEX, Meri, Julian, Jeff, and Meghan all get together to do Volume 13 of the "Manga Review of Awesomeness". The Piccolo-Daimao arc continues with its full-force as Goku returns to the scene. The characters are starting to show a huge change, and the series isn't looking back. Meri's Top 5, February's releases, fun with e-mails, and the winner of our 10th anniversary contest round out the episode. Referenced sites:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:16 pm

So, am I the only person who is being sent to podcast #113 by the #114 link?

Also, um, hi? Yeah, I sort of did just join to ask that.

Yep.

I bet you guys love me already.

EDIT: Okay, I'm only having the problem on the podcast page, the link here in the thread works fine.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:19 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:So, am I the only person who is being sent to podcast #113 by the #114 link?

Also, um, hi? Yeah, I sort of did just join to ask that.

Yep.

I bet you guys love me already.

No, you're not the only one. Welcome to the forums, I don't think anyone is going to mind that you pointed that out.
Trans rights, now!

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:21 pm

Yep it happens to me too. The download link sends me to episode 113.
If you still want to listen to it now and haven't worked out the address for it here it is.

http://daizex.db-destiny.net/Daizenshuu ... e_0114.mp3
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

Ultimate DBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate DBZ » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Me too. Not only that, but on iTunes it showed Episode #113 as the latest episode. So not only was the broken link messed up, but it wasn't on iTunes either!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:43 pm

For easily keeping track of which tankoubon volume is roughly equivalent to which kanzenban, I recommend Kanzentai's comparison chart.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:59 pm

You know, if you people would just subscribe to the feed, you'll never have any problems :P.

Fixed.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You know, if you people would just subscribe to the feed, you'll never have any problems :P.

Fixed.
Yeah, but then all your links would be messed up. You NEED the "refresh the page 200 times per second" crowd.

Of like two people.

Wait, there's a feed? Screw the refresh button!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Excellent links! I love the cel shop!
I'll slap this episode on Ye Olde iPod tomorrow for my trip!

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Yay! Let the best part of my Sunday begin...on Monday!! I really love Volume 13, so this should be a load of fun to listen to. :D

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Listening right now, and I'm loving your Manga reviews! I know I'm gonna love it! :P
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:22 pm

I have just recently found this site and I listened to the podcast. It was great and I've already suscribed :wink: . Unfourtanly I just started buying the manga and havent been through DB yet but Ill catch up (I prefer DBZ but Ill get DB too). I've even already sent an email to the podcast! Keep up the good work> :D

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Having more people come over to give their opinions on the manga is always a welcome um... feature thing.

Right when Meri brought up Tenshinhan going shirtless I knew Megan was gonna give her two cents on the issue. The weird fangirl-ing on that topic was awesome. I always thought having Meri as the lone DB fangirl was a bit off, so I thought it was good to have another girl there even if it was just for that one episode.

With you guys bringing in the connection with Cell I thought you guys would have caught the incredibly similar panel of the King's guard being killed with Yamcha being killed in the Android Saga.

And I'm pretty sure Megan's final thought of 'yay' pretty much sums up my thoughts on the volume, too. Some serious crap's gone down with the dragon being killed, and the stage has been set for the final showdown against Piccolo. Good stuff.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:49 pm

You know, I was thinking that maybe the summary you do for all the chapters in each volume could maybe be shorter. It seemed like they took up a lot of time in this episode, and while listening I kept wishing you'd just wrap up and move into the analysis. But that could just be me (and I can always just skip through them of course).

OK, so I realize that my comments on the MRA have pretty much all been about things I didn't like or thought could be better ("Argue for Herms! Argue for Herms NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!"), but despite that I do really enjoy each one and the podcast in general.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:12 am

Herms wrote:You know, I was thinking that maybe the summary you do for all the chapters in each volume could maybe be shorter. It seemed like they took up a lot of time in this episode, and while listening I kept wishing you'd just wrap up and move into the analysis. But that could just be me (and I can always just skip through them of course).
I can't find a balance I'm 100% in love with. You'd think I would after an entire year, but not so.

I don't want to do them any shorter (I've tried and always miss out on really important events and it's a pain in the farkin' ass to either re-record or correct myself afterwards and edit around it or have someone else mention it or blah blah blah).

I definitely don't want to do them any longer, because it's needless and I actually don't see how I could do them any longer.

I definitely do enjoy actually recording the summaries, but then when I get to editing the show, I find myself absolutely dying to get to the analysis part afterwards and listen again to what everyone had to say. However, the next day when I actually listen to the completed/edited show again, I do enjoy hearing the full summaries in addition to the analysis. I understand it's a tough balance depending on what type of listener you are, but then there's me where my thoughts are coming from a completely different perspective and shift depending on the time of day, direction of the wind, etc. :P

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:21 am

I agree with Herms that instead of going chapter by chapter, you could try just going for an overall summary so it won't take as long to cover everything. But as you mentioned, Mike, that could lead to a whole bunch of interesting stuff being missed. It's also fun listening to Jeff mispronounce things ("Kentarou"?). Then again, that's what writing notes/making tabs are for so you can make sure to pinpoint all the stuff you want covered.

Also, out of curiosity, does Jeff read the little one page preview of what's coming up in the next volume or do you guys make a point of snatching the manga away from him once he finishes the actual volume so he can make a less influenced prediction of things to come?

And if your scanner doesn't want to cooperate with you, Mike, keep in mind that you've got a handful of minions here on the forums with the manga volume and working scanner on them :wink:.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:27 am

DaemonCorps wrote:Having more people come over to give their opinions on the manga is always a welcome um... feature thing.

Right when Meri brought up Tenshinhan going shirtless I knew Megan was gonna give her two cents on the issue. The weird fangirl-ing on that topic was awesome. I always thought having Meri as the lone DB fangirl was a bit off, so I thought it was good to have another girl there even if it was just for that one episode.

With you guys bringing in the connection with Cell I thought you guys would have caught the incredibly similar panel of the King's guard being killed with Yamcha being killed in the Android Saga.

And I'm pretty sure Megan's final thought of 'yay' pretty much sums up my thoughts on the volume, too. Some serious crap's gone down with the dragon being killed, and the stage has been set for the final showdown against Piccolo. Good stuff.
Haha! Right at that moment, I think I was reading the manga.. so I was a bit distracted from the rest of the discussion that was going on until I heard the key words "Tenshinhan" and "shirtless." XDD Ah, typical fangirl moment FTW.

I'm so excited to listen to this episode!!! 8D
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:15 pm

kinoko wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Having more people come over to give their opinions on the manga is always a welcome um... feature thing.

Haha! Right at that moment, I think I was reading the manga.. so I was a bit distracted from the rest of the discussion that was going on until I heard the key words "Tenshinhan" and "shirtless." XDD Ah, typical fangirl moment FTW.

I'm so excited to listen to this episode!!! 8D
Kinokoooooooooo :D

As soon as I heard that I nearly choked on my drink bwahaha. I seriously wanted 'I'm too sexy for my shirt' to start playing. And dancing. I wish this podcast was a video feed, hahahaha!! Or we could get a link to Meri's old AMV XD.

Tenshinhan = definite female fanservice. I always love DragonBall extra more when he takes off that damn shirt! LOL

Anyway, it was interesting to hear you guys talk about the whole Tenshinhan beginning as a villain. I too watched Z first, but I wasn't too surprised when I found out he had started out as that type of character.

Great review you guys... love kinoko's guest voice on the matter hehe ^^

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Sorry guys my speakers aren't working , can someone tell me who won.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:57 pm

Super 17 wrote:Sorry guys my speakers aren't working , can someone tell me who won.
The New York Giants, 17-14.