Episode #0114 (03 February 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:58 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Super 17 wrote:Sorry guys my speakers aren't working , can someone tell me who won.
The New York Giants, 17-14.
*smack*

I'm assuming you're talking about the poster contest? "Master K" is the winner! I've sent off the necessary e-mail, so hopefully I'll be getting a mailing address to send it to! Otherwise, we'll just have to pick another winner... ^_~
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:05 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
Super 17 wrote:Sorry guys my speakers aren't working , can someone tell me who won.
*smack*

I'm assuming you're talking about the poster contest? "Master K" is the winner! I've sent off the necessary e-mail, so hopefully I'll be getting a mailing address to send it to! Otherwise, we'll just have to pick another winner... ^_~
Like me! =D

...I actually thought the Super Bowl crack was pretty funny.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:07 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
*smack*
You know that was comedy gold, my friend. :D

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Oh ok thanks mike. By the way i'm glad the giants won, I hated the patriots so much since like 2003.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:29 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
W00T!!! Tyree baby!!!*Lives in Jersey*

Anyway great review guys...I've always loved this Volume because as you said. This is the transition for DragonBall from lighthearted action/adventure. Into a save the world action series.

My opinion on Tien's transition from bad to good is thus...During the 22'nd Budokai and prior to it through Tien's life, he was a man who was trained by Tsuru-sennin. He was raised as an assassain with the morals of an assassain. This was all he knew for his life. BUT, there was a deep seeded part of him that wanted to reject it. Knowing that this was not him...knowing that he could do better. But why didn't he? It's possible that he was so willing to become stronger, then he sold what morals he may have once had to Tsuru. So he repressed these feelings to the point of fooling himself very well. But in the 22'nd Budokai, meeting Roshi...seeing how Roshi operated, and that little talk the 2 of them had...Simply opened his eyes...He realized that there was another way, and just because someone trained you, doesn't mean that you are their pawn and must do as they wish. He saw what a real sensei was in Roshi. Once he realized this and his eyes were open...immediatley he was thrown into the battle for earth against Piccolo. This simply solidified his change in his own mind...He was a man who had just went through a major change, a change that would normally take a lot of soul searching to solidify. But because of Piccolo, he realized that he wanted to defend the planet. He wanted to help. Not out of of gratitude to Roshi or Goku...But because he realized it's who he was.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:16 pm

Going with the whole anime/manga comparison for this volume, there's also a slight rewrite with Tenshan arriving at King's Castle. From what I remember, Ten's rice cooker was still intact in the anime and he actually tried to trap Piccolo only to have Drum take the hit instead. I thought that was pretty significant of a change, since it goes from Ten not using the Mafuba at all to him using it.

And the fact that Ten didn't die in the anime when he uses it supports the idea of the Mafuba user only dying if they trap their intended target. Then again, what about the whole thing with Roshi missing the rice cooker when he tried it? So confusing...

Also, you guys kinda glazed over Piano's death. I know he's an incredibly minor guy and all, but I remember when reading this volume, the two panels Toriyama uses to show that Piano's dead without having anyone outright say anything really took away from the fast paced feel of the fight.

As for the question about Chauzu's death in the anime, it stayed pretty much the same as the manga from what I remember. There were no wonky fish-eye or blue-scale effects like with Kuririn's death.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:36 am

I remember Chaozu's death in the anime had him raise his head, say "Ten-san," then died.

Also what Daemoncorps said about Piano's death reminded me of how in the dub, they gave him death gasps to show he was dead. Still was thinking when I first saw it, we'd see Toriyama's trademark dead eyes.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:28 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Going with the whole anime/manga comparison for this volume, there's also a slight rewrite with Tenshan arriving at King's Castle. From what I remember, Ten's rice cooker was still intact in the anime and he actually tried to trap Piccolo only to have Drum take the hit instead. I thought that was pretty significant of a change, since it goes from Ten not using the Mafuba at all to him using it.

And the fact that Ten didn't die in the anime when he uses it supports the idea of the Mafuba user only dying if they trap their intended target. Then again, what about the whole thing with Roshi missing the rice cooker when he tried it? So confusing...
This just proves that using the anime to back up anything other than "The anime has some really bad filler sometimes and can't be used to back up anything" just doesn't work.

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:36 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I remember Chaozu's death in the anime had him raise his head, say "Ten-san," then died.
For serious??? T_T

Hmm, even though it's a rather minor change, having Chaozu actually say Tenshinhan's name is pretty significant methinks. It works very well in the anime, playing up Tenshinhan's guilt at that particular moment, and for later, during the Saiya-jin arc, where the calling out of each other's names becomes far more poignant.

I really love how the anime handled their relationship, I really do.
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:42 pm

"What's the highest level of Super Saiya-jin?"

"Is that including GT?"

Amazing :P

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:24 am

More Andrew Deluxe please :P