Goku vs Cell question

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Goku vs Cell question

Post by mystic trunks » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:35 pm

Was it ever stated anywhere that Goku had the ability to beat Cell? Because it seems kind of hard to beleive Goku could have been defeated so easily.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Yes, Goku could've with the Warp Kamehameha. Other than that, no, Goku was completely outclassed.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:45 pm

To be honest, I think that if Goku had been informed of what Cell had displayed thus far, he might have been able to obliterate Cell. Then again, he was probably stuck on the notion of having Gohan give his all to defeat Cell.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Rocketman wrote:Yes, Goku could've with the Warp Kamehameha. Other than that, no, Goku was completely outclassed.
Seconded.

Considering that Cell hadn't yet opened up his full power even after Gohan's transformation into SSJ2 (at least in the beginning), the only way Goku could have won was as described above. Cell's advantage over him was simply too great.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:37 pm

It's too bad we'll never know concretely if Goku could or could not become Super Saiyan 2 during the Cell Games. He seemed too laid back and too confident. And he was running with this whole thing about the Earth finding a new hero. I think that if he didn't know Gohan could become a Super Saiyan 2, maybe he would've been more serious. And we'll never know if he could've become Super Saiyan 2 during that time. If he would've, he'd be definitely more powerful than Gohan.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:39 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:It's too bad we'll never know concretely if Goku could or could not become Super Saiyan 2 during the Cell Games. He seemed too laid back and too confident. And he was running with this whole thing about the Earth finding a new hero. I think that if he didn't know Gohan could become a Super Saiyan 2, maybe he would've been more serious. And we'll never know if he could've become Super Saiyan 2 during that time. If he would've, he'd be definitely more powerful than Gohan.
It was stated that by Son Gohan that Son Goku wasn't using his full power. And he sounded troubled when he said it so maybe Son Goku wanted to let someone else save the world other than himself. But Son Gohan wouldn't have become a Supa Saiya-jin 2 if Son Goku had gone ahead and defeated Cell. But I think that the battle between Son Goku and Cell would have taken a little too long. So that's another reason.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:55 pm

Pain wrote:It was stated that by Son Gohan that Son Goku wasn't using his full power.
No, it was stated by Gohan that it looked to him like Goku wasn't using his full power when he fought Cell. Goku then states that Gohan is stronger than himself, and that's the reason it looks that way.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Tyro wrote:
Pain wrote:It was stated that by Son Gohan that Son Goku wasn't using his full power.
No, it was stated by Gohan that it looked to him like Goku wasn't using his full power when he fought Cell. Goku then states that Gohan is stronger than himself, and that's the reason it looks that way.
I am currently reading Volume 17 since I'm reading the entire series. And in it Son Goku sits in the Room Spirit And Time for a LONG time doing nothing, according to Son Gohan. And when he stands up, he achieves the "Super" state and the "Beyond Super" state. And I'm sure that they spent a lot more time training. So if Son Goku can mentally train and achieve a new form, maybe he was capable of becoming a Supa Saiya-jin 2. And I found it weird why Son Goku just gave up but maybe he had a vision or something like that.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Most of their training wasn't even shown in the manga, though. I doubt Goku obtained those USSJ forms by simple meditation. Also; Goku told Gohan that he was fighting all-out, even though, Gohan thought he wasn't using all of his power at that point.

Gohan wasn't impressed by anything Goku was doing during the fight. You can even tell when he goes to his maximum that he wasn't impressed. Gohan knew he was more powerful then Goku, and Cell pretty much admitted it as well. Goku could only use MSSJ at that point, nothing more.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Snail

Post by Snail » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:33 pm

Pain wrote:
And I found it weird why Son Goku just gave up but maybe he had a vision or something like that.
Simple, he just wanted Earth to have a new hero. He can't always be around or be the only one capable of saving everybody's butts all the time..even though he eventually does. Over, and over again.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:46 pm

Snail wrote:Simple, he just wanted Earth to have a new hero.
Which leads to such brilliant decisions as entrusting a 9-, 8-, and 7-year old to defend the planet.

Methinks Goku had taken a few too many hits to the head by the Cell Games.

Snail

Post by Snail » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:49 pm

He was probably thinkin' " I was able to do it when I was a kid.. :roll: "

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Snail wrote:He was probably thinkin' " I was able to do it when I was a kid.. :roll: "
At least Goku was a teenager before he went off saving the world.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:15 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Snail wrote:He was probably thinkin' " I was able to do it when I was a kid.. :roll: "
At least Goku was a teenager before he went off saving the world.
The thwarted Pilaf at 11.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:23 pm

Regeneration was added to the villains to make them insanely difficult to defeat. Otherwise Vegeta would have killed both Cell, and Majin Buu.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:28 pm

Arguably, Goku didn't even know he was the one to thwart Pilaf since it was more Oolong stopping the wish and Goku was kinda off in monkey land when Pilaf was sent running.

Hmm. Gohan, Goten and Trunks had way more "normal" lives than Goku... even when Goku was still hanging out at Mt. Paozu, even with Grandpa Gohan... he was doing a lot of stuff for himself, ne? Whereas Goten and Gohan... not so much, despite Piccolo's efforts to the contrary. Once we get past Cell, it seems like Gohan is in the perfect position to ... umm... do... more cool stuff... except then nothing interesting happens in the time where Gohan would have been the age of Goku on his adventures. (Well, unless Goten being born counts. :D ).
So yah... Goku and ChiChi should have sent everyone off to Camp Piccolo for every summer after Cell. :?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:50 pm

desirecampbell wrote:The thwarted Pilaf at 11.
12, and Oolong thwarted Pilaf.
Once we get past Cell, it seems like Gohan is in the perfect position to ... umm... do... more cool stuff... except then nothing interesting happens in the time where Gohan would have been the age of Goku on his adventures. (Well, unless Goten being born counts. :D ).
Well....that would explain Goten's brain problems.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:59 pm

Rocketman wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:The thwarted Pilaf at 11.
12, and Oolong thwarted Pilaf.
No, he was 11, thought he was 14, but only found out after he learned to count the next year (when he says he's 12).

Goku thwarted Pilaf in more meaningful ways, like destroying the castle to allow Oolong to get to Shenlong.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:06 pm

desirecampbell wrote:No, he was 11, thought he was 14, but only found out after he learned to count the next year (when he says he's 12).
That was only eight months between Pilaf and the World Tournament.
Goku thwarted Pilaf in more meaningful ways, like destroying the castle to allow Oolong to get to Shenlong.
Eh, that's a bit too much "supporting character" to me. That's like saying Goku beat Cell because he made Gohan a Super Saiyan.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:57 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Eh, that's a bit too much "supporting character" to me. That's like saying Goku beat Cell because he made Gohan a Super Saiyan.
Yeah, that's true. I was reaching there. But hey, he beat the Red Ribon Army!