Interview with Kajetokun, the 'it's Over 9000' guy

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Interview with Kajetokun, the 'it's Over 9000' guy

Post by desirecampbell » Thu May 01, 2008 10:50 am

*urp* Sorry, just vomited in my mouth a little. Anyway, a rather bare and pointless interview with the guy who started the 'it's over 9000!' meme, over at Japanator.

My never-ending quest to bring you vaguely DBZ-related news.
http://www.japanator.com/elephant/post.phtml?pk=7824

vicdmx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by vicdmx » Thu May 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Aww, ¨OVER 9000¨ so funny.

That guy is a legend for making that. :o :D
Life is Life.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu May 01, 2008 12:34 pm

His other stuff is much more clever than "It's over 9000!!!"

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Thu May 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Not much of a fan of memes, I know he didn't make it to be a meme just a funny video but it still annoys me to this day.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu May 01, 2008 1:02 pm

"The Balls are Inert" Video still manages to make me chuckle quite a bit. :lol: His "Terry Yum Goon" video is pretty funny; I've never seen it.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu May 01, 2008 1:25 pm

I like the summing-up-of-them-all-in-a-musical, personally. XD
Otherwise... No idea what to make of it anymore. :( :?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:57 pm

I don't really see why people think it's so funny.
Trans rights, now!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu May 01, 2008 3:22 pm

It's funny the way Trogdor is funny. Which is ... not funny so much as awesome. Except... 9000 isn't so awesome, either. It's more fun as a gag than a meme. :? And even that got old a while ago. :(
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Calcaneus

Post by Calcaneus » Thu May 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Snail wrote:"The Balls are Inert" Video still manages to make me chuckle quite a bit. :lol: His "Terry Yum Goon" video is pretty funny; I've never seen it.
Yeah, "Terry Yum Goong" is his best, but that's just because I have a pretty hefty man crush on both Terry Bogard and Tony Jaa.

About the "9000" video, I have to admit I laughed pretty hard when I first saw it. It was absurd, quick, and addicting; pretty much a perfect example of Internet/4-chan humor.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu May 15, 2008 6:01 pm

"Over 9000" is probably the dumbest internet fad.

Well, that and the dramatic chipmunk.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu May 15, 2008 11:31 pm

Pretty cool. Personally I'd rather see an interview with Lanipator, MasakoX, & Vegeta#### (DBZ: Abridged Movies) or Gozar (Alternate Reality DBZ) instead. But none the less, a fun read.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Fri May 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Awesome interview. He's a very funny guy :P

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri May 16, 2008 4:41 pm

I love the people sitting there with sour expressions on their face, holding their cup of tea going "tut tut such comedy is below such a man as myself, I do think I'll express my distaste on the Dragonball forum."
It's not overly funny but I'd rather have this in the spotlight then keep hearing a Naruto quote over and over. (Ninja info cards doesn't count because it's super f'ing catchy.) Anyway the maker of "over 9,000" seems like a real nice guy.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri May 16, 2008 4:53 pm

I do like how throughout the whole "interview," Kajet just keeps essentially saying, "Um, I'm just a guy who makes funny videos."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri May 16, 2008 11:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR0Yn8u-f3k

I like this take on "The Balls are Inert." Puts a new twist on it.

The Terry Bogard thing (in my sig) is my favorite, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:09 am

The "Over 9,000" thing is so ridiculous. I don't know why people are so into it. "The balls are inert" is funny the first time you hear it. After that...it's sad. I think what really makes the "Over 9,000" thing annoying is the people. They just loop him saying it over and over and over again until you want to take your computer and throw it from a window.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun May 18, 2008 3:28 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:The "Over 9,000" thing is so ridiculous. I don't know why people are so into it. "The balls are inert" is funny the first time you hear it. After that...it's sad. I think what really makes the "Over 9,000" thing annoying is the people. They just loop him saying it over and over and over again until you want to take your computer and throw it from a window.
For me, Drummond's "Over 9,000!" is a classic line from my days watching the old dub. So it's kind of nostalgic. Putting it in a comedic light just makes it that much more fun. It's not a video I need to see over and over again but, within the right context, it's fun to reference amongst friends like:

"Did you see Speed Racer?"
"Yeah. It was OVAR NINE-THOUDAND!!!!"
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun May 18, 2008 5:16 pm

Vegeta Jr wrote:Not much of a fan of memes, I know he didn't make it to be a meme just a funny video but it still annoys me to this day.
It doesn't make a bit of difference guys.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun May 18, 2008 5:27 pm

Rory wrote:
Vegeta Jr wrote:Not much of a fan of memes, I know he didn't make it to be a meme just a funny video but it still annoys me to this day.
It doesn't make a bit of difference guys.
You know, the first time I saw The Balls are Inert was when Rick linked it while responding with "It doesn't make a bit of difference, guys..." in the r29 fandub thread...

Egh... random inside joke type things can be fun... but they can be annoying just as easily. It's like, with great power comes great responsibility, or something. Not saying that watching Over Nine Thousand is like being bitten by a radioactive Namekian, or anything...

... Like, there's this RPG a couple others and I have been doing for over five years now...
At the beginning of the first real climactic battle (which turned out to be more of a display of power than a fight...), we have traditional pre-fight banter... but the default sensorship of the board is turned on, so we get this...

"What's wrong, never heard of the perfect fusion?"
"Perfect fusion? Perfect fusion I disagree! Bring it, whelp!"

... I didn't figure out for a couple years that what was originally typed was "Perfect fusion my ass!" So an inside joke was born.
It feels kinda the same as "Over Nine thousaaaaaand!" and such...

Another one that I do (I don't know where this one came from...) is, whenever someone asks where something or someone went, respond with "To another dimention!" ... Getting old already, of course.

So I guess I'm saying that... random senseless inside jokes are like vanilla. Nevertheless, we will continue to construct additional pylons.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:03 am

The "Over 9,000" crap is wearing thin. It was annoying when I first saw it. But now, on Youtube for example, people are making it just way too unbearable. They just make him repeat it over and over again. It's a pain in the ass. I don't get it. Why is it so funny? Brian Drummond said A LOT of things that were dragged out like that.