Funimation's "Faux-"Remastered Season 5 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:13 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
ETC123 wrote: Shorter names stay in childrens minds longer.

Subsequently it's the same reason they don't use honorifics- not because they're trying to drain culture out of it, but rather because there is honestly no point. It sounds odd.
Thank you, I can't stand when English dubs use honorifics. As bad as the DBZ dub is I'd rather have the current one then a weaboo "HEY SON GOKU-SAN GO FIND BEJETA-SAMA!" translation.
What about in Macross, where Hikaru called Roy 'Sempai'? It fits for him because he's a Japanese character where the rest are mostly Chinese, European or American.
Different strokes, different folks.

Youre talking about the most recent macross dub? Havent seen that myself.

I do know a series called Ai Yori Aoshi used honorifics in the English dub. However Ai Yori Aoshi was a series that appealed to roughly four people in the west.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue May 27, 2008 11:10 am

NeptuneKai wrote:Thank you, I can't stand when English dubs use honorifics. As bad as the DBZ dub is I'd rather have the current one then a weaboo "HEY SON GOKU-SAN GO FIND BEJETA-SAMA!" translation.
I'm calling bullshit on that. You wouldn't bat an eye if an English show (cartoon or live action) had a Japanese character use 'san'. Japanese people speaking English but continuing to use honourifics is a standard trope; applying this to more honourifics changes nothing, applying this to all characters changes nothing.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue May 27, 2008 12:08 pm

All i have to say is that when I started watching Basilisk, I didn't realize that they were using honorifics and thought that they were a part of the names. But once I started getting the closed captions, everything was made much clearer
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue May 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:Goku/Gohan/Goten don't have 'Son', etc
Let's be fair, it's not necisary for an ENG Dub to call him "Son Goku". Though it would be nice if they threw his last name in there.
I agree, that's being REALLY picky

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm

Is that what dub haters are doing? Latching onto things like that? Next people will be saying that FUNimation is crap because Bulma doesn't call him Son Kun and they don't add "san", "sama" or "sa" at the end of everyone's name.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue May 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Honestly, if a dub removes the various honourifics, I'm certainly not going to throw a fit. What I don't appreciate is certain posters on here throwing around terms like "weeaboo" simply because some of us do prefer to have honourifics if given the choice. Honestly, you're being just as bad as nitpicky purists with that kind of intolerant talk. Everyone. On both sides. Grow up. -_-
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:23 pm

What the fruity hell is "weeaboo"?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue May 27, 2008 2:29 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:What the fruity hell is "weeaboo"?
Basically a Japanophile. Though these days, much like the term "emo" it's often misused, such as was the case here in the thread.
Here's a full definition of it:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=weeaboo
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Heh. I'll never ever discriminate against someone for being a "weeaboo"...dumb term, but okay. Simply, I like the Japanese culture as well. I'm fascinated by the language and would like to learn it some day. But you can't say that everything that's accepted in Japan is accepted here. I'm sure if you go put an American cartoon in Japan, they would make it more like their culture rather than ours as well. I wouldn't blame Japan if they take, lets say, Bugs Bunny, and call him Boogs. I wouldn't be outraged and begin little riots about how they got his name wrong. So why do fans do it when it's the other way around?

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue May 27, 2008 2:40 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I wouldn't blame Japan if they take, lets say, Bugs Bunny, and call him Boogs.
They still call him Bugs though...

I don't expect English dubs to use honorifics since that's only specific to the Japanese language. But I do expect subtitle translations to have them on the other hand since conventional translations can't really convey the meaning of some of the honorifics too well. But "Son" is part of the characters name is not an honorific so it should have been kept rather than ignored like it never exists.

On the topic of "Son-kun". Yeah there's no way that people should say that they don't like it how Bulma doesn't call him that in the dub but it could have been easily substituted like when in Rurouni Kenshin people called Yahiko in an episode "Yahiko-chan" in the Japanese version and he kept saying don't call me "chan", while the dub substituted "chan" with "little". So in the episode he was called Little Yahiko. It got the same message across without the use of honorifics. With "Son-kun", I can't really say specially what it could have been changed to but still it's not like Funimation ever tried, which is why people give them flak for it.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:06 pm

Nothing with Son Kun was ever tried in the English version, Bulma always called him Goku. But really, what could she have called him? "Goky" or something as a pet name? It just simply wouldn't work. If you can come up with something for Bulma to call him, go ahead. But DB or Z never had that running pun of, "don't call me that." Bulma calling him "Son Kun" didn't differ at all from others calling him Goku. It's not like anyone ever reacted to her calling him that.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue May 27, 2008 3:15 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Nothing with Son Kun was ever tried in the English version, Bulma always called him Goku. But really, what could she have called him?
Yeah but that's what I was getting at, it was never accommodated in any form and honestly they could have called him Little Son or something along that line. IMO, at least that would have been trying, and trying is better than nothing I'm afraid.
TheGreatness25 wrote:Bulma calling him "Son Kun" didn't differ at all from others calling him Goku. It's not like anyone ever reacted to her calling him that.
:? That's like saying that Vegeta calling him "Kakarotto" is like him calling him Goku when it's not. If she wanted to call him "Goku" she wouldn't have used "Son-kun" at all and called him just Goku. So I'd say it's nothing like her calling him just "Goku" at all. Just like how my name's David and some people call me Dave. Nobody would have a reason to react differently.
Last edited by Vekurotto on Tue May 27, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:17 pm

But Goku reacted to Kakarot. And there was strong sense behind it.

I think the main reason why nobody ever called any of the Son family by their family name...is because Son is basically "offspring" in the English language. Bulma calling Goku, "little Son" would be awkward. Especially since disrespectful teenagers call each other "son" all the time.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue May 27, 2008 3:21 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I think the main reason why nobody ever called any of the Son family by their family name...is because Son is basically "offspring" in the English language. Bulma calling Goku, "little Son" would be awkward. Especially since disrespectful teenagers call each other "son" all the time.
Oh well as long as Blue Water English dub of DB called him Son Goku I'll still argue. Again it's his name and there are people in the English speaking language with last names that are verbs and nouns. So do you just disregard their names entirely because of that? I think not.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Look, different companies probably have different views and that's fine. FUNimation felt that it would sound weird and I kind of agree. The man's name is Goku. In the United States, most people don't refer to others by their first and last names. And nobody says last name then first name. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but remember, his name is Goku. I mean everyone has a last name, but you wouldn't be pissed off if nobody ever called you by it, would you?

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue May 27, 2008 3:35 pm

^ No TheGreatness25, I'm saying that the fact that his name is omitted to begin with is what my problem is. Yeah his name is Goku but it isn't just that it's Son Goku like it or not.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:38 pm

I guess you're right... But hey, it wasn't 100% omitted. There was a "Son" shirt or two somewhere in the series lol

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue May 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Vekurotto wrote:^ No TheGreatness25, I'm saying that the fact that his name is omitted to begin with is what my problem is. Yeah his name is Goku but it isn't just that it's Son Goku like it or not.
Do you think he should have been called "Son Goku" or "Goku Son"? I wouldn't have had a problem with Goku Son, but the other one just wouldn't be right.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue May 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:Do you think he should have been called "Son Goku" or "Goku Son"? I wouldn't have had a problem with Goku Son, but the other one just wouldn't be right.
I say Son Goku because like I said here in an earlier response,
Vekurotto wrote:Yeah but this show doesn't have realistic content or name placement from either side of the globe. So I don't see why "The rules of Western name placement" have to apply to the ENG dub, and ONLY the ENG dub since Mexico, France and most of the other countries with "Western order names" USED "Son" first, same with the crappy Malaysian English dub. "The rules of East Asian name placement" aren't paid that much attention here either.
I don't believe that it would matter because the series doesn't have realistic names and every language but English regradless of where they're located and what the rules of name formation are still used Son first.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue May 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Vekurotto wrote:
Kid Trunks wrote:Do you think he should have been called "Son Goku" or "Goku Son"? I wouldn't have had a problem with Goku Son, but the other one just wouldn't be right.
I say Son Goku because like I said here in an earlier response,
Vekurotto wrote:Yeah but this show doesn't have realistic content or name placement from either side of the globe. So I don't see why "The rules of Western name placement" have to apply to the ENG dub, and ONLY the ENG dub since Mexico, France and most of the other countries with "Western order names" USED "Son" first, same with the crappy Malaysian English dub. "The rules of East Asian name placement" aren't paid that much attention here either.
I don't believe that it would matter because the series doesn't have realistic names and every language but English regradless of where they're located and what the rules of name formation are still used Son first.
Fair point. Maybe Funi left the "Son" out because it sounds like an honorific, and they had made the decision not to use honorifics (which I can understand).